Mike Vrabel Hired As Head Coach

TitanLegend

http://footballscoop.com/news/resume-means-nothing-notes-afca-graduate-assistant-career-forum/ 

What’s the best way to build your network?
Franklin: Your résumé means nothing. I’ve never looked at a résumé, ever. Your references mean nothing. I’m not calling your references, I’m calling the people that I know. I’m not working with someone 16-to-17 hours a day if I don’t know them or someone that I trust knows them.

What traits do you look for when hiring a GA? 
Fritz: Number one is they have to be a good person. I’ve very rarely hired someone blindly. I want to make sure I know the person or someone I know very well knows the person.

This is from James Franklin, but it points out what I know I've been saying and what many of you have been saying. Vrabel isn't going to hire someone blindly. It's going to be someone that he knows or someone that he knows....knows.  As we think of people who are going to be on this staff, if you can't find a connection or someone that Vrabel might know, that knows that guy, then you can probably forget it. 

Exactly. It doesn't matter if you think they're better, coaches don't generally hire strangers.

If Vrabel likes Day (and it's not just a rumor), it's probably because someone he knows well on the OSU staff has given him information about him.

Also, Todd Haley hired by the Browns. If there's one thing I know in life, it's if the Browns want to do something it's the wrong thing to do. This is the team who managed to ruin a draft in which they had multiple first round picks, one of them being Myles Garrett, and they still managed to kill their draft by following it up with Jabrill Peppers and Deshone Kizer. Both will be lucky to be career backups.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

It's a positive for me because I have no interest in Day but a negative because I'm assuming Vrabel sold Robinson on the idea that he can get an exact staff in place. Not looking pretty but we'll see what his backup plans are.

I don't think it's a negative. I'd assume he had a list with more than one guy as his possible OC. "These are guys I'm interested in. My wish list." 

Move on to the next one.

Also, I'm assuming he has interest in other guys on staff, but they have to get permission. I think there are some conversations that have been had where he has tested the waters. If he feels he can't get them, then he won't go with the process of requesting permission.  
Some guys say like Jim Bob Cooter, whose future is uncertain. He can't just go talk to him. 
Maybe Day was one of the top choices of guys he knew he could at least talk to...

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Kuharsky mentioned him as a possible target.  

Detroit blocked him from an interview last year around this time as well:

The development of Stafford was impressive, a lot of credit has been given to both Callahan and JBC. Before that apparently he was in Denver but obviously hard to say how much impact he did or didn't have given the QB was Peyton Manning.

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

How can a team block a guy for a job that’s a promotion?

They can block anything. It's not common for teams to block promotions, but they can. Maybe it was the time they were requested and the Lions didnt think they could get someone better at the time. 

I guess Patricia has someone else in mind. I wonder if Jim Bob gets let go too.  That would be a major get for Vrabel.  
I'd like to see Brian Callahan get the OC job.

Archived