Jake Ryan, pass coverage, and the future of the Packers ILB position

AlexGreen#20

Just now, cooters22 said:

Would you be willing to give me a short list of edge players that you'd all take at #14? And in what order? Thanks. 

In no particular order...Bradley Chubb, Marcus Davenport, Harold Landry, and Arden Key are all guys that I'd feel comfortable with right now at 14.  Obviously, there is subject to change since there is still some information that needs to be had.  I'd right now take nay of those four over Raquon Smith in a heartbeat.  Smith isn't Ray Lewis by any means.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

In no particular order...Bradley Chubb, Marcus Davenport, Harold Landry, and Arden Key are all guys that I'd feel comfortable with right now at 14.  Obviously, there is subject to change since there is still some information that needs to be had.  I'd right now take nay of those four over Raquon Smith in a heartbeat.  Smith isn't Ray Lewis by any means.

Not bad. I can't or won't speak of any of these guys, I just haven't seen them at all or enough. But I have seen a fairly good amount of Raquon Smith. He would make a immediate difference on this team, and most importantly upgrade our team speed. But yes I do get it, a truly good edge will win out every day of the week. So if those kids are a going to be great, well yes grab them. There may never be another Ray Lewis, so obviously I don't know how good Raquon will be but I do see greatness in the kid. 

16 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

My starting base would ideally be

Draft Pick/Daniels/Clark/Perry

Clay/Ryan/Martinez

Starting Nickel is:

Draft Pick/Daniels/Clark/Perry

Ryan/Martinez

===============

Obviously your draft pick is going to be a rookie who would probably be splitting snaps with Clay as he works his way into the lineup.

A hardset 3-4 coach might run something different, but I'd have an incredibly hard time putting Dean Lowry on the field over Clay Matthews.

Rush Package

? / Daniels / ? / Perry

Martinez / ?

Add Clay in one of the ?s. 

That's with 5DBs, with 6 take out one of the ?s. For this sake I would include Josh Jones as a ILB if he came down and played beside Martinez 

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think one of Landry or Key will be available at 14.  I wouldn't be disappointed if they took either one.  I did a mock where I picked Smith in round one and Tremaine Edmonds in round two.  I was really happy with that mock and now apparently Edmonds is moving up and is probably a top 5 pick.  There are some really solid edge rushers in the first round.  

2 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I think one of Landry or Key will be available at 14.  I wouldn't be disappointed if they took either one.  I did a mock where I picked Smith in round one and Tremaine Edmonds in round two.  I was really happy with that mock and now apparently Edmonds is moving up and is probably a top 5 pick.  There are some really solid edge rushers in the first round.  

I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one of the pass rushers available available at 14.  IMO, the most likely to least likely are Arden Key, Harold Landry, Marcus Davenport, and Bradley Chubb assuming everything happens during the draft process that I anticipate.  I haven't really dug into Tremaine Edmunds, but from what I remember he played inside more with Tech.  I don't think he's a top 5 pick yet, but the momentum is there.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one of the pass rushers available available at 14.  IMO, the most likely to least likely are Arden Key, Harold Landry, Marcus Davenport, and Bradley Chubb assuming everything happens during the draft process that I anticipate.  I haven't really dug into Tremaine Edmunds, but from what I remember he played inside more with Tech.  I don't think he's a top 5 pick yet, but the momentum is there.

https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/Bolt/Virginia-Techs-Tremaine-Edmunds-the-No-3-Prospect-per-NFLcom-114096383

He did play inside and was excellent in coverage and against the run but they say he translates well to the edge rush as well.  Number 3 prospect seems high.

4 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/Bolt/Virginia-Techs-Tremaine-Edmunds-the-No-3-Prospect-per-NFLcom-114096383

He did play inside and was excellent in coverage and against the run but they say he translates well to the edge rush as well.  Number 3 prospect seems high.

LIS, he's got a LOT of recent momentum.  Calling him the #3 prospect is incredibly generous.

8 hours ago, ugLymayNe said:

The more I think about it, the more I can get behind them signing a IDL/5-tech type that can play LE in base and relieve either Daniels or Clark in nickel when they need it. DaQuan Jones would be huge IMO, and if they added an EDGE in round one our DL/EDGE depth would be pretty good heading into next year.

If we're going DL, I'd still rather go with a designated rusher. You can find LOS dwellers at discount bargain prices. 

6 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

Rush Package

? / Daniels / ? / Perry

Martinez / ?

Add Clay in one of the ?s. 

That's with 5DBs, with 6 take out one of the ?s. For this sake I would include Josh Jones as a ILB if he came down and played beside Martinez 

Pretty much. 

Probably something like that if you're playing nickel:

Draft Pick/Daniels/Perry/Clay

Martinez/Jones

===

More frequently you're playing Dime:

Draft Pick/Daniels/Perry/Clay

Martinez

6 hours ago, cooters22 said:

Not bad. I can't or won't speak of any of these guys, I just haven't seen them at all or enough. But I have seen a fairly good amount of Raquon Smith. He would make a immediate difference on this team, and most importantly upgrade our team speed. But yes I do get it, a truly good edge will win out every day of the week. So if those kids are a going to be great, well yes grab them. There may never be another Ray Lewis, so obviously I don't know how good Raquon will be but I do see greatness in the kid. 

I'll caution you on ILB what I caution everybody:

ILB is a position that is hugely affected by the DTs in front of him. Nobody's remembering Ray Lewis from 07 to 12 nearly as fondly as they are if Haloti Ngata isn't a monster. 

Smith's a good ball player for sure, but there's a lot of guys who have looked really fast at ILB when they're not having to deal with bodies in their face. Georgia returned their entire DT rotation last year and they can all play. 

On 1/23/2018 at 7:22 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'll caution you on ILB what I caution everybody:

ILB is a position that is hugely affected by the DTs in front of him. Nobody's remembering Ray Lewis from 07 to 12 nearly as fondly as they are if Haloti Ngata isn't a monster. 

Smith's a good ball player for sure, but there's a lot of guys who have looked really fast at ILB when they're not having to deal with bodies in their face. Georgia returned their entire DT rotation last year and they can all play. 

Roquan Smith certainly looks good on tape but his size is concerning for an ILB in the NFL. Rotoworld has him listed at differing specs: 6'0 / 203# (which I tend to doubt as this would put him in the "tall" CB/S range) and also 6'1 / 225# - which would make him a Josh Jones / Joe Thomas clone.  

Comparing Smith to other "fast" NFL ILB's:

Sean Lee - 6'2 / 245#

Jaylon Smith - 6'2 / 245#

Luke Kuechly - 6'3 / 238#

Eric Kendricks - 6'0 / 232#

At 6'1 if Smith and could throw on a few pounds w/o losing his quickness he could both muscle up or run around potential blockers. He's certainly a player. Too bad he's at a "secondary" position of need for us cause he'll be gone in Round 1 for sure.

Packersnews has just put out an article advocating for Clay Matthews to be moved to ILB full time.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/01/29/dougherty-packers-need-clay-matthews-playing-inside/1070406001/

I like the idea of moving Matthews inside but unfortunately it doesn't make any sense at this point in time.  The writer does not stop to consider that moving Matthews would create new problems rather than solve them. Moving Matthews forces us to find another pass rusher to play alongside Perry AND also having to find a backup pass rusher too. All the move has done was weaken our pass rush. Financially it doesn't make sense either. Suppose we get a pass rusher in free agency chances are we would have to pay top coin to get a good pass rusher. So we're paying alot of money to Perry, Matthews and Free Agent. Same problem with our WRs and on top of that giving Rodgers a massive new contract. It just doesn't work and make us weak in other areas.

Keeping Matthews outside means we only need to focus on getting a new backup pass rusher and if all goes to plan he would eventually takes over Matthews spot. When that happens we can begin to think about moving Matthews inside.

Personally I would just keep Matthews outside but have him moving around occasionally in all the linebacker spots in various dime and nickle packages. Lets get him roving and hunting, attacking the QB from many different angles. It would add a level of unpredictability for our defence. We gave Woodson the freedom to move around and it paid off handsomely. Polamalu had that same freedom and he was majestic!

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Roquan Smith certainly looks good on tape but his size is concerning for an ILB in the NFL. Rotoworld has him listed at differing specs: 6'0 / 203# (which I tend to doubt as this would put him in the "tall" CB/S range) and also 6'1 / 225# - which would make him a Josh Jones / Joe Thomas clone.  

Comparing Smith to other "fast" NFL ILB's:

Sean Lee - 6'2 / 245#

Jaylon Smith - 6'2 / 245#

Luke Kuechly - 6'3 / 238#

Eric Kendricks - 6'0 / 232#

At 6'1 if Smith and could throw on a few pounds w/o losing his quickness he could both muscle up or run around potential blockers. He's certainly a player. Too bad he's at a "secondary" position of need for us cause he'll be gone in Round 1 for sure.

I’m going out on a limb here but I wouldn’t be surprised if R. Smith came in a tad under 6’ and 215-220 right now. Dude looks tiny on film. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s smaller than Josh Jones

14 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I’m going out on a limb here but I wouldn’t be surprised if R. Smith came in a tad under 6’ and 215-220 right now. Dude looks tiny on film. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s smaller than Josh Jones

Could be....cant say....but as mentioned Rotoworld had him listed at different heights and weights on the same page. I just mentioned him after viewing a highlight video - which obviously shows he's a player - in that handful of plays at least  :)  My general take is I'd prefer the GBPs NOT select the 3rd/4th/5th talent at a position of need while passing up the 1st/2nd talent at a different position. I recognize that's an awfully fine line and about as subjective as they come, but I feel we need PLAYERS. Play - or difference makers.

Archived