Jake Ryan, pass coverage, and the future of the Packers ILB position

AlexGreen#20

17 hours ago, Chili said:

Packersnews has just put out an article advocating for Clay Matthews to be moved to ILB full time.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/01/29/dougherty-packers-need-clay-matthews-playing-inside/1070406001/

I like the idea of moving Matthews inside but unfortunately it doesn't make any sense at this point in time.  The writer does not stop to consider that moving Matthews would create new problems rather than solve them. Moving Matthews forces us to find another pass rusher to play alongside Perry AND also having to find a backup pass rusher too. All the move has done was weaken our pass rush. Financially it doesn't make sense either. Suppose we get a pass rusher in free agency chances are we would have to pay top coin to get a good pass rusher. So we're paying alot of money to Perry, Matthews and Free Agent. Same problem with our WRs and on top of that giving Rodgers a massive new contract. It just doesn't work and make us weak in other areas.

Keeping Matthews outside means we only need to focus on getting a new backup pass rusher and if all goes to plan he would eventually takes over Matthews spot. When that happens we can begin to think about moving Matthews inside.

Personally I would just keep Matthews outside but have him moving around occasionally in all the linebacker spots in various dime and nickle packages. Lets get him roving and hunting, attacking the QB from many different angles. It would add a level of unpredictability for our defence. We gave Woodson the freedom to move around and it paid off handsomely. Polamalu had that same freedom and he was majestic!

Reports are out there that OLB Aaron Lynch is done as a 49er. Kid is only 24 and has great length and size at 6'6 and 270.  I hope he's on our radar he'd be a great pickup and wouldn't break the bank.

Just now, St Vince said:

Reports are out there that OLB Aaron Lynch is done as a 49er. Kid is only 24 and has great length and size at 6'6 and 270.  I hope he's on our radar he'd be a great pickup and wouldn't break the bank.

Isn't he some sort of idiot moron somehow? 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Isn't he some sort of idiot moron somehow? 

Don't know his background all I know is he has the tools to be a good OLB.  Playing for a winner can cure attitude. I don't think he's a Randy Gregory type idiot. If you meant cerebral idiot moron I didn't hear about that.

Just now, St Vince said:

Don't know his background all I know is he has the tools to be a good OLB.  Playing for a winner can cure attitude. I don't think he's a Randy Gregory type idiot. If you meant cerebral idiot moron I didn't hear about that.

I remember I got really interested in us going after him, but then I read about some of the things he did or was rumored to have done and I didn't like him much anymore.  Quick Google search is he pulled a Lacy and showed up 20 pounds overweight, and also has substance abuse problems.  Sometimes a player can have all the talent and potential in the world and not be worth taking a shot on. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I remember I got really interested in us going after him, but then I read about some of the things he did or was rumored to have done and I didn't like him much anymore.  Quick Google search is he pulled a Lacy and showed up 20 pounds overweight, and also has substance abuse problems.  Sometimes a player can have all the talent and potential in the world and not be worth taking a shot on. 

If that's true that's why he's being shown the door. I'd still kick the tires he's a stupid 24 year old kid who made a mistake,  maybe someone like Pettine can straighten him up. Dude is a physical freak at only 24 and he's gonna get even bigger and stronger as he hits his prime in a few years. But thanks I'm gonna Google that article.

If he needs such high maintenance to keep him focused, I'd rather pass. Talent is useless at the NFL level when it comes with a lousy work ethic. The 49ers have had a tendency to draft guys with good measurables and poor attitude in the past, like A.J.Jenkins and Aldon Smith . They also liked drafting injured players with a hope they would recover fully (see running back Lattimore), which didn't work out either.

https://nflspinzone.com/2017/06/28/san-francisco-49ers-aaron-lynch-curious-case/

3 hours ago, St Vince said:

:)

Is there some sort of chart breakdown of the different type of morons?

There's the Randy Gregory type...

The cerebral type.....

The idiot variety....

And the worst of all kinds - the combo pack cerebral/idiots!  :o

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

:)

Is there some sort of chart breakdown of the different type of morons?

There's the Randy Gregory type...

The cerebral type.....

The idiot variety....

And the worst of all kinds - the combo pack cerebral/idiots!  :o

You have guys who may be cerebral and have physical talent to be great but idiot morons because they make bad choices off the field that keeps them from achieving their potential.

And you have guys who have the physical tools and are genuinely good people but just can't grasp the mental part of the game that keeps them from achieving their potential . Another type of idot moron, ala Jeff Janis. That's what I meant.

5 minutes ago, St Vince said:

You have guys who may be cerebral and have physical talent to be great but idiot morons because they make bad choices off the field that keeps them from achieving their potential.

And you have guys who have the physical tools and are genuinely good people but just can't grasp the mental part of the game that keeps them from achieving their potential . Another type of idot moron, ala Jeff Janis. That's what I meant.

No explanation was necessary. I was injecting a bit of humor into the discourse.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:57 AM, Chili said:

Packersnews has just put out an article advocating for Clay Matthews to be moved to ILB full time.

He doesn't need to be kicked inside.  He's perfectly productive when you limit his snap counts...

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He doesn't need to be kicked inside. 

I like it when he is a moveable chess piece and I think he does too

Pettine needs a captain for his defense, is Martinez a better fit in that role ? In the past it seems like Clay has shied away from the leadership role unless he's prodded into it ala Kevin Greene and " IT IS TIME ". It seems like Clay is happier focusing on winning at the LOS and beating his guy more than getting his team mates lined up or pumped up.

I think the problem with the ILB position is the same problem the Packers have throughout the defense: The players are about average. The only exceptions at this point are Mike Daniels, Clay Matthews, and Kenny Clark, but none of those three are great players. Very good, but not great. The funny thing is that with all of those average players, the defense should've been average, but instead it was below average. Maybe that's because there was not a single difference-maker who could elevate the play of his teammates. Or maybe it had something to do with the defensive schemes. It will be interesting to see what happens with a new defensive coordinator taking over. 

Anyway, I am in favor of bringing in more talent at ANY of the defensive positions, with the possible exception of the line, which is pretty good already. If there is a chance to get an ILB the caliber of Sean Lee, Anthony Barr, Bobby Wagner, Luke Kuechly, Ryan Shazier, etc., I would say go for it. Those guys make their teammates better. Clay Matthews made a big difference at ILB just a couple years ago, though I'm not sure he would if they moved him back inside at this point in his career. A good ILB can blow up plays from many different angles and can reduce the area his teammates need to defend by roaming the middle of the field. He can also rush the passer on occasion and cover tight ends and RBs who come out of the backfield to catch passes. ILB can still be a high impact position if you get a really talented guy in there. 

Well would you move CMIII inside if you drafted the LB from GA? He's strickly an ILB, and he could be the BPA at 14. I don't think you would. I think Matthews position will be determined after the draft and where Pettine see him as the best fit. Frankly, I bet they used him all over the field much like they talked about doing this year but ended up not following through (because of injuries).

12 hours ago, Hands said:

Well would you move CMIII inside if you drafted the LB from GA? He's strickly an ILB, and he could be the BPA at 14. I don't think you would. I think Matthews position will be determined after the draft and where Pettine see him as the best fit. Frankly, I bet they used him all over the field much like they talked about doing this year but ended up not following through (because of injuries).

You move Clay inside full-time, that means you need TWO more pass rushers.  Given that quality pass rushers don't really become available in FA, that means you're using your picks to do so.

Archived