On Break at work Mock 2018

Rtnldave

At work, on break, stressed out first shot at a mock. 

2018 Mock Dallas Cowboys

Trade * Beasley to NE for a 3rd

Sign FS E. Thomas

Sign OG L. Jockel

Round

Possibility 1

M McGlinchy OT N.D.

2 (trade 3rd, 4th and 5th)

Browns (35)

M Andrews TE Oak

R. Evans  LB Ala

J. Washington WR Oak St

4C

J. Dunlap CB  Illinois

5C

L Lotulelei DT Utah

Uchenna Nwosu Edge USC

Shaun Dion-Hamilton

ILB Ala

1st round and FA-solidify O line for the next 3 years. This year showed us how vulnerable Dak is without proper protection like last year. Also, it plays right into our offensive strategy of running the ball to set up the pass. You want to compete with the likes of Philly, get a crushing O line for the next few years.

2nd round trade is acquire Dak's safety blanket. Witten was Romo's, Ertz is Wentz's, Gronk is Brady's. Dak needs to develop his own. 

2nd round is to solidify the LB position. We all saw what happened when Lee went down. He will not be in the league much longer.

3rd round gets us our deep threat speedster.

The rest are there as depth or developmental guys.

FA E. Thomas speaks for itself.

41 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Collins isn't moving back to OG, so taking McGlinchy in rd 1 doesn't really work. Beasley for a 3rd is probably a big stretch. Like the draft beyond rd 1 though.

Couldn't we use him at LT or as a swing for injury purposes until we lose Smith for good? Because frankly, I do not trust T Smith anymore. And if we do not have a 1st round talent to replace a 1st round talent over there, you will see more of A. Claiborne type games.

I understand taking a 1st round O lineman to sit or spell a player seems like a waste, but I see it as an investment for the coming years where Dak, Zeke, Andrews, Washington, Switzer, etc can grow into the next generation that attempts to become next years champs.

Dez, Witten, Lee, and yes T Smith will most likely be out the door in the next 1-3 years. We can be contenders if we keep fortifying our greatest strength to our offense, its line, now.

A solid running game we have, a game manager in Dak we have (Just look at Philly and Foles right now), what we need is a dominant TE like Witten used to be, and a threat to stretch the field. All of that will be for nothing if we cannot dominate up front. 

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

At work, on break, stressed out first shot at a mock. 

2018 Mock Dallas Cowboys

Trade * Beasley to NE for a 3rd

Sign FS E. Thomas

Sign OG L. Jockel

Round

Possibility 1

M McGlinchy OT N.D.

2 (trade 3rd, 4th and 5th)

Browns (35)

M Andrews TE Oak

R. Evans  LB Ala

J. Washington WR Oak St

4C

J. Dunlap CB  Illinois

5C

L Lotulelei DT Utah

Uchenna Nwosu Edge USC

Shaun Dion-Hamilton

ILB Ala

1st round and FA-solidify O line for the next 3 years. This year showed us how vulnerable Dak is without proper protection like last year. Also, it plays right into our offensive strategy of running the ball to set up the pass. You want to compete with the likes of Philly, get a crushing O line for the next few years.

2nd round trade is acquire Dak's safety blanket. Witten was Romo's, Ertz is Wentz's, Gronk is Brady's. Dak needs to develop his own. 

2nd round is to solidify the LB position. We all saw what happened when Lee went down. He will not be in the league much longer.

3rd round gets us our deep threat speedster.

The rest are there as depth or developmental guys.

FA E. Thomas speaks for itself.

Think if we go Oline I'd rather have B. Price, outside of that love the draft, as for the trades and signings sound good to me except we may have to trade for E.Thomas

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Is Thomas a FA?

We are all projecting (hoping?) that given the likelihood Seattle blows things up (specifically defensive contracts) and his explicit desire for us to get him and his former coach as our own coach...Thomas has great potential to don a star next year.

5 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Couldn't we use him at LT or as a swing for injury purposes until we lose Smith for good? Because frankly, I do not trust T Smith anymore. And if we do not have a 1st round talent to replace a 1st round talent over there, you will see more of A. Claiborne type games.

I understand taking a 1st round O lineman to sit or spell a player seems like a waste, but I see it as an investment for the coming years where Dak, Zeke, Andrews, Washington, Switzer, etc can grow into the next generation that attempts to become next years champs.

Dez, Witten, Lee, and yes T Smith will most likely be out the door in the next 1-3 years. We can be contenders if we keep fortifying our greatest strength to our offense, its line, now.

A solid running game we have, a game manager in Dak we have (Just look at Philly and Foles right now), what we need is a dominant TE like Witten used to be, and a threat to stretch the field. All of that will be for nothing if we cannot dominate up front. 

I think it's a little early to be overly concerned about Smith's injuries causing him to regress substantially or retire, especially to the tune of a 1st rd pick. He's only 27 and neither injury required surgery. Find someone later and groom them or look at FA, we'll be fine up front. 

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

I think it's a little early to be overly concerned about Smith's injuries causing him to regress substantially or retire, especially to the tune of a 1st rd pick. He's only 27 and neither injury required surgery. Find someone later and groom them or look at FA, we'll be fine up front. 

I don't. This was the 2nd consecutive year his health has been comprimised. Last year he was held out of practice each week as to not aggravate his problem. This year he missed time because of it.

His condition will only get worse, not better.

We need to be smart for a change and realize what we have now and it's value three years from now.

And I don't see Smith cutting it. Three years, when Dak, Zeke, J Smith, Awuzie, Switzer, etc will be hitting their primes.

We can't HOPE that T Smith will be healthy and reliable.

I just don't see it.

I think it’s a great draft. Obviously, I doubt Beasley would ever net a 3rd round pick, but I think it was solid from top to bottom. I also think Nwosu would be the potential gem in that draft. USC’s defense was very poor, but he (individually) was really good. His issue will be having a defined position in the NFL. Is he a LB? Is he a OLB/DE in a 3-4? Is he a WLB/SS hybrid in a traditional Tampa-2? Either way, he has talent and would pose great value in the 6th round.

8 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I think it’s a great draft. Obviously, I doubt Beasley would ever net a 3rd round pick, but I think it was solid from top to bottom. I also think Nwosu would be the potential gem in that draft. USC’s defense was very poor, but he (individually) was really good. His issue will be having a defined position in the NFL. Is he a LB? Is he a OLB/DE in a 3-4? Is he a WLB/SS hybrid in a traditional Tampa-2? Either way, he has talent and would pose great value in the 6th round.

Thank you. Beasley is the type of small, fast and smart WR a team like NE covets. They are having no shortage of success, what would a 3rd round pick mean to them if they could convert him into another Edelman or Amandola?

On 1/26/2018 at 5:03 PM, Rtnldave said:

Thank you. Beasley is the type of small, fast and smart WR a team like NE covets. They are having no shortage of success, what would a 3rd round pick mean to them if they could convert him into another Edelman or Amandola?

And their 3rd round pick is essentially and early 4th,  unless it's from another team.

Archived