TCMD Discussion!!

EaglesPeteC

6 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Some of these restructures look insane to me, like why would the player do it? Why would Cam Newton take <13mil with 3 years left making the last two Jimmy G money instead of playing this year and getting a 2019 extension for like 30mil a year?

The players aren't losing money. They are only converting salary to bonus, which they are then given immediately

6 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Some of these restructures look insane to me, like why would the player do it? Why would Cam Newton take <13mil with 3 years left making the last two Jimmy G money instead of playing this year and getting a 2019 extension for like 30mil a year? Or Juwuan James scaling from 4mil to 18.5mil? Is that way too much a difference? Are there any real life contracts that different from start to end?

Newton done it for the greater of the team.

I get they follow the rules but they are crazy. No way Cam makes a first round picks salary less than Alex Smith whose new deal is packed with guarantees. 

Also so tax brackets are not different in the multimillion ranges unless they are killing it in specific years and have write off loses in other years. There's no simple tax reason to take a massive pay cut in the near future.

Just now, Trojan said:

I get they follow the rules but they are crazy. No way Cam makes a first round picks salary less than Alex Smith whose new deal is packed with guarantees. 

He's not losing any money. He's just taking it as an immediate bonus rather than getting it on his base salary paychecks. Nothing changes on his deal except the manner in which he's paid. There's really no reason for them not to do it. It's just a way of manipulating the cap. 

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Why isn't this common on this scale in the NFL then? Long term cap hell or something?

In this mock, next year does not really matter for us as arm chair GM's.  IRL, GM's have to look at both the now and the future in building their roster and structuring the contracts.

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Why isn't this common on this scale in the NFL then? Long term cap hell or something?

It's pretty common, but yes, it leads to a disaster in long term cap handling. While restructuring gives you immediate relief, it adds to the damage in later years, making it harder to get away from contracts and players as there is a lot of dead cap moving into future years. You most commonly see it with quarterbacks, though other high priced players do it as well. 

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

Odds are Cam would likely look for the extension, but when we start changing the rules to fit each situation, then we get into subjective opinions which would completely bog the system down.

If we could come up with a formula with the limited information I'm all for making it more realistic, but I can't let subjective opinion control every move.

Just now, ny92jefferis said:

Odds are Cam would likely look for the extension, but when we start changing the rules to fit each situation, then we get into subjective opinions which would completely bog the system down.

If we could come up with a formula with the limited information I'm all for making it more realistic, but I can't let subjective opinion control every move.

Not criticizing this mock, just I'm looking at the wizardry of instantly creating room to make huge FA moves and wondering why the real teams don't take advantage.

Just now, Trojan said:

Not criticizing this mock, just I'm looking at the wizardry of instantly creating room to make huge FA moves and wondering why the real teams don't take advantage.

I think they do but limited, these accountants have the cap figured out years in advance.  I'm sure that they have a formula that they adhere to in just how much salary that they can push to the following year.

I anticipate that the Giants will be doing some extensions and restructures this year, as they are pretty limited in cap this year and knowing we need a completely new offensive line.  In addition, they've got two players that they need to lock up in Odell and Landon Collins.

Wouldn't surprise me if they don't extend Eli's contract, if they are ok with him at quarterback for the next few years, by adding a few more years to the deal.  

11 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Teams do this, especially QB's all the time. The Cowboys lived off restructuring Tony Romo for years. Saints with Drew Brees too.

Just now, EaglesPeteC said:

Teams do this, especially QB's all the time. The Cowboys lived off restructuring Tony Romo for years. Saints with Drew Brees too.

After your restructures, I was going to call you the Mickey Loomis of TCMD lol

Archived