Eagles vs Patriots SBLII GDT

Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

Well Eagles just torched the Vikings, so they can torch anybody.  Pats defense stops teams from scoring better than most teams in the league, and that's the most important thing a defense can do.  They don't get many takeaways though, and that's a bigger weakness than yards given up.  Historically though, they've averaged something like 30 a year.

Some of that is due to playing weak offenses, but if bad Foles shows up, the Eagles will not be a great offense.

Regardless of which Foles shows up, unless the Pats sell out to stop the run, I expect Ajayi/Blount/Clement to run all over New England. All Foles needs to do is what Bortles did - make some short throws, exploit the Pats awful LB's and hit the occasional 20 yarder.

Well every team is subjected to the same sample size, and coaching is usually a significant advantage for the Patriots.

My point was that such a small sample size means that the good performance you point to isn't predictive nor actual proof of a good unit. The Pats D lacks the type of talent to shut down the opponent unless their opponent shoots themselves in the foot. Pederson has shown to be a good coach and the Pats have really struggled to make opposing QB's make mistakes.

On 1/30/2018 at 9:14 PM, mcmurtry86 said:

Regardless of which Foles shows up, unless the Pats sell out to stop the run, I expect Ajayi/Blount/Clement to run all over New England. All Foles needs to do is what Bortles did - make some short throws, exploit the Pats awful LB's and hit the occasional 20 yarder.

While I agree with this, I have a feeling Pederson is going to try and recreate the Minnesota game. Meaning asking Foles to push the ball downfield (to much) regardless if that's needed or not. 

Although I'm Still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'll have to trust Pederson to make the right decisions/adjustments since He's been brilliant thus far with his game plans/play calling.

People are still talking about Gronk not potentially not playing?  I thought it was a forgone conclusion that Gronk would be playing.  I understand he had a concussion, but it was two weeks ago and this is the Super Bowl.  He's going to play.

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

People are still talking about Gronk not potentially not playing?  I thought it was a forgone conclusion that Gronk would be playing.  I understand he had a concussion, but it was two weeks ago and this is the Super Bowl.  He's going to play.

Mind games.

Which Belichick never does of course, just like with analytics.

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Mind games.

Which Belichick never does of course, just like with analytics.

Agreed.  But I don't want to be too insensitive and I think my post did come off like that.  It is a concussion and that is very serious.  It's easy for me to say he can play when I'm not going through that.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Agreed.  But I don't want to be too insensitive and I think my post did come off like that.  It is a concussion and that is very serious.  It's easy for me to say he can play when I'm not going through that.

Didn't seem insensitive. Gronk more or less has said the same thing, he 'expects' to play.

The Eagles pass rush and front seven is very scary.  They should be able to put a lot of pressure on Tom Brady.  The key is - are they able to match-up on the outside?  The Eagles secondary is really good, so they might be able to, but it's going to be really tough.  When Denver beat them in the AFC Championship game a few years ago, they had a great pass rush and tremendous CB play.  

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:
2 hours ago, showtime said:

Didn't seem insensitive. Gronk more or less has said the same thing, he 'expects' to play.

Oh he's playing Unless the severity of the concussion is more similar to say Luke Kuechley last Season. Now I doubt that's the case but either way there's no advantage to the Patriots to clear him or give clarity on either front.

So status quo it is!!

BB is a defensive genius and that will make it very hard on Foles and the Eagles running attack. On paper, their defense is very average, but BB is just a huge plus and hides weaknesses better than anybody else, so I am not expecting the Eages to score a whole lot with Foles at QB. Backup QB's can be great for a game or 2, but sooner or later, smart defenses catch up with them and they fall back to earth, so it will not be shocking to see Foles have a terrible game.

Throw in Brady and it could be over by half time if he is healthy enough???

19 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

BB is a defensive genius and that will make it very hard on Foles and the Eagles running attack. On paper, their defense is very average, but BB is just a huge plus and hides weaknesses better than anybody else, so I am not expecting the Eages to score a whole lot with Foles at QB. Backup QB's can be great for a game or 2, but sooner or later, smart defenses catch up with them and they fall back to earth, so it will not be shocking to see Foles have a terrible game.

Throw in Brady and it could be over by half time if he is healthy enough???

Vikings defense was better than the Patriots defense by a very significant margin. And coached by a renowned defensive mind in Zimmer. 

But yes, the games already over, really. It's Belichick's aura.

1 minute ago, RollEagles said:

Vikings defense was better than the Patriots defense by a very significant margin. And coached by a renowned defensive mind in Zimmer. 

But yes, the games already over, really. It's Belichick's aura.

Actually from like 5 on the Patriots have been the best defense in ppg in the NFL. Typical Patriots defense though. Lots of yards but they get stingy in the red zone.

Just now, lancerman said:

Actually from like 5 on the Patriots have been the best defense in ppg in the NFL. Typical Patriots defense though. Lots of yards but they get stingy in the red zone.

Better than the Vikings defense?

(Also here's the Patriots opponents after Week 5: Jets, Falcons, Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, Dolphins, Bills, Dolphins, Steelers, Bills, Jets. Outside of the Steelers, that list features some of the worst offenses in the league this year. And it includes every single division opponent twice)

Just now, RollEagles said:

Better than the Vikings defense?

(Also here's the Patriots opponents after Week 5: Jets, Falcons, Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, Dolphins, Bills, Dolphins, Steelers, Bills, Jets. Outside of the Steelers, that list features some of the worst offenses in the league this year. And it includes every single division opponent twice)

Yes it was the best in ppg from weak 5 on. From that point they gave up more than 20 ppg twice in the regular season to a dominant Steelers offense and to Miami at Miami in a tough divisional game where they usually struggle. They averaged a flat 14 points per game. The Vikings gave averaged 15.8 for the season. From week 5 on the Vikings gave up 14.6 ppg and broke 20 about 3 times including two instances where they gave up over 30 points. So yeah once the Patriots got their defense figured out they've been incredibly dominant. 

Really think about it, the Patriots were 32nd in ppg after week 4 and were on pace to be one of the worst defenses of all time. That's a quarter of a season in. Then they wound up in the top 5 and at their current 

Also I would like to point you to 2016 when this entire board said the Patriots defensive ranking was misleading because of the quality of opponents. And then they won the Super Bowl. 

My point don't sleep on the Patriots defense. There very likely to be one of the best defenses the Eagles see all year and you have to pair that with one of the best offenses they've seen all year (only offense ahead of them was the Rams who the Eagles allowed 35 points and the Rams were a middle of the pack defense). 

Archived