Eagles vs Patriots SBLII GDT

Nabbs4u

18 hours ago, RollEagles said:

j1Zxuh8.jpg

Look man, I dont know where you got that image, but it isnt true. See this link: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/features/writers/expert/picks/straight-up/22

4 out of 7 pick the Patriots, but Brinson, Wilson and Richard all pick the Eagles, and your image says the opposite. It is true that the Eagles are the underdog, but LOL at any fan (I am not implying that it's you) who needs to make up predictions in order to exaggerate the underdog status of the team they cheer for.

Also, it isnt just their preseason SB picks either, see here: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-picks-our-expert-predictions-for-super-bowl-mvp-major-awards/ . It is literally just made up predictions.

Why does it matter who the media picks? Do people really believe that the Patriots and Belichick are underestimating the Eagles?

They know (if better than anybody) that it's any given Sunday. They won't be taking the Eagles lightly.

I really think this game is going to come down to a FG and I'm prepping my body for it. Lol

25 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Why does it matter who the media picks? Do people really believe that the Patriots and Belichick are underestimating the Eagles?

They know (if better than anybody) that it's any given Sunday. They won't be taking the Eagles lightly.

I really think this game is going to come down to a FG and I'm prepping my body for it. Lol

Yep, I'm with you.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:58 PM, childofpudding said:

27-24 Patriots, let's goooooooooooo

ESPN put up an article today or yesterday about Minnesota for the Super Bowl. I don't know if we have anyone on here going to the game or coming into town this weekend, but just for fun, here's my list of things to know about Minnesota and Minneapolis/Twin Cities when coming into town for the Super Bowl.

It's going to be cold: Now, Minnesota standards wise, it's not terrible, highs in the mid to upper teens, but it's going to be cold. Bring your warmest clothing, you'll want them and probably plus some.

There are plenty of winter activities: They put in a zip line, but places like the Minneapolis Institute of the Arts and other places have been putting up ice sculptures and castles. If you're looking for something more athletic, there are ski hills or skating rinks that are decent enough. If you want to walk around a quaint downtown, Stillwater MN is about half an hour to forty-five minutes away that has a nice quaint downtown that is easily walked and there is an ice castle that's up there. There are probably also ice fishing tours that you can do if you really want, it's a traditional Minnesotan event. There are also things that you could do indoors if you want, and I'd probably recommend them over being outside. The main things are going to be surrounding the Super Bowl.

There is plenty to drink: If you like coffee, the chain that most people go to, as the ESPN article points out, is Caribou Coffee. However, there are plenty of other places. Outside of downtown, Spyhouse Coffee is a fun spot to go that has multiple locations, and Angry Catfish is an interesting spot with very good coffee. If you're looking for something harder, there are a ton of breweries to go around to. Places like Surly are going to be packed since that's the one people know the best. Then downtown Day Block, Fulton, and Townhall Brewery are going to be busy. But just going a little bit further out you can get to some really good breweries, I'd personally checkout Indeed, Insight, and Head Flyer. If you're into funkier beers, East Lake Brewery and Wild Mind Ale. If that's still too light for you, there are distilleries that are great options and put out really good hard alcohol. Tattersall and Norseman are the best two. Tattersall is the fancier one of the two places where as Norseman is a bit more down to earth. Both of them have some really great hard alcohol.

There is the Mall of America: My thoughts, don't go. However, going to the Mall of America especially if you're in a hotel down there, makes a lot of sense if trying to get to downtown. The lightrail is going to be the best way to get down there for the game. The Mall of America is going to be crazy, so it's not going to be worth it for anything more than that.

There's Plenty to eat as well: I'm not going to list off places downtown, you'd probably already need a reservation for those spots. If you're down near the Mall of America and the Airport, it's pretty standard fair and nothing I'd highly recommend. However, if you can get to South Minneapolis, you'll find a number of staples, as well as North East Minneapolis. The big thing is the Jucy Lucy. This is a burger stuffed with cheese. The original one is at Matt's Bar. It is great, and it's going to be packed. If you want to try and not so standard Jucy Lucy, I'd check out one of the four Blue Door Pub locations. I'd recommend either the one on Como or the one in Longfellow. They're also a good spot to try local beers. If you're interested in more standard fare, I'd checkout Busters on 28th where basically everything is good, and they have a great beer list. Don't expect hard alcohol at any of these places though. Pizza places, Pizzeria Lola is great and might actually be less busy than some of them, but Pizza Luce will be the busiest and is what most people will recommend. Also, Sunday morning, there's going to be a lot of spots you can get brunch at.

4 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Look man, I dont know where you got that image, but it isnt true. See this link: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/features/writers/expert/picks/straight-up/22

4 out of 7 pick the Patriots, but Brinson, Wilson and Richard all pick the Eagles, and your image says the opposite. It is true that the Eagles are the underdog, but LOL at any fan (I am not implying that it's you) who needs to make up predictions in order to exaggerate the underdog status of the team they cheer for.

Also, it isnt just their preseason SB picks either, see here: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-picks-our-expert-predictions-for-super-bowl-mvp-major-awards/ . It is literally just made up predictions.

Got it from the Eagles Reddit page. It was from last week so maybe they compiled it and mistakenly placed their preseason picks. I didn't think I needed to confirm it but it's definitely wrong in the image. 

I will also say that it's not about Eagles fans needing this underdog thing.

The best way I can explain it is this:

- The Eagles players have talked about feeling slighted about being underdogs in their first two playoff games. And they've talked about it a good amount (underdog masks, etc.). And it's also true that the Eagles have used that to get a little extra juice. 

- Fans latched onto it because it actually does make sense and is a narrative that makes sense.

That should really be the end of the narrative. Not really sure how all this other stuff has happened.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:46 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

@eagles18 Your team is about to play it's first superbowl in 13 years. It should be a really exciting time for you. This thread was set up to discuss the game, tactics, strategy, players etc etc - which we're all doing. 

You choose, however, to come on here and post an old article to incite yet more hatred/mouthbreathing/baiting etc? 

Put the keyboard down. Step away from the car.

Just felt like reminding everyone that Tom Brady is not the GOAT 

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

kleenex-hand-towel-pop-up-box-01701.jpg

I mean if anyone needs them it's Patriots fans, they get super upset any time people call them out for how they circumvent the rules time and time again, some times more egregious than others. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As I said, I hold no grudge, just know that the situation is as I've said. 

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

I mean if anyone needs them it's Patriots fans, they get super upset any time people call them out for how they circumvent the rules time and time again, some times more egregious than others. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As I said, I hold no grudge, just know that the situation is as I've said. 

Pretty sure it's (some) Eagles fans who need them. The thread is about this year's SB, and a bunch of Eagles fans are crying about a SB from more than a decade ago.    

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Danger said:

What's in the past is in the past, but the more you dig the more you find that it was evident that Super Bowl XXXIX wasn't a fairly played game. I don't hold a grudge. but there should be an asterisk. 

Why? Even that's why you think they lost (it wasn't your QB at the time took about a year to drive down the field on us) it was an unenforced rule. So they weren't even going to get in trouble for it until two years later when a new commissioner said he would enforce it again. Also you can still steal signals. It's pretty easy. Patriots just did it from the wrong location. So many people not knowing what it was. Sad 10 years later.

From the few Eagles games that I've looked at, the Patriots could have success in the run game by attacking the left side. Vikings had some success there in the first drive, and the Rams did as well. Since the Eagles' DEs line up so wide, you can almost ignore the DE on the opposite side of the run. Then you can have the RT/RG double team Cox, the C/LG double team the other tackle, and then the LT guide the other edge outside. That should present some openings in the A and/or B gaps with two double teams. If they run some 12 personnel using Gronkowski, Allen and Develin, the hope is to get them and one of the other OL into the second level to block Philly's LBs and/or safeties. Rams were pretty successful at this. Rams also used a lot of motion away from the left side, which often brought a safety like Robinson over there and left fewer defensive bodies on the run side to clog up lanes.

Once you get the defensive front moving that way, it could open up some designed cutback runs back to the right side. I could foresee Develin or Graham lining up on the left side but pulling to the right for a cutback run once the defensive front commits to the left side. As opposed to the above, the Patriots could load the left-hand side with their 2 receivers to leave space on the right.

Eagles thrive when they can get the opposition in 3rd & long, get 6 DBs on the field, and have the DL pin their ears back and get after the QB. Getting a bit of chunk yardage every down is going to be important for the Patriots offense.

I also think there will be a few opportunities - not many - for the Patriots to run 12 personnel and then catch the Eagles with three LBs on the field. Then run no-huddle and have five potential targets, with some of them matching up against LBs that aren't great in pass coverage. From what I saw, the LBs are also prone to biting on play action when you have heavy personnel in there, but of course that will depend on the Patriots establishing some kind of run threat.

It also seemed like the Eagles can struggle covering RBs, so the Patriots could use some 2 RB sets with options at the line depending on what the Eagles show. IDK about that, though. The Eagles did a great job of tackling McKinnon in space.

So much is going to depend on containing the Eagles' front 4. If they can stuff the run and then start bothering Brady, that's what will lead to the kind of turnovers that they got vs. MIN. Two of the three turnovers that MIN had, as well as another should-have-been INT, were caused by the front four.

12 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

From the few Eagles games that I've looked at, the Patriots could have success in the run game by attacking the left side. Vikings had some success there in the first drive, and the Rams did as well. Since the Eagles' DEs line up so wide, you can almost ignore the DE on the opposite side of the run. Then you can have the RT/RG double team Cox, the C/LG double team the other tackle, and then the LT guide the other edge outside. That should present some openings in the A and/or B gaps with two double teams. If they run some 12 personnel using Gronkowski, Allen and Develin, the hope is to get them and one of the other OL into the second level to block Philly's LBs and/or safeties. Rams were pretty successful at this. Rams also used a lot of motion away from the left side, which often brought a safety like Robinson over there and left fewer defensive bodies on the run side to clog up lanes.

Once you get the defensive front moving that way, it could open up some designed cutback runs back to the right side. I could foresee Develin or Graham lining up on the left side but pulling to the right for a cutback run once the defensive front commits to the left side. As opposed to the above, the Patriots could load the left-hand side with their 2 receivers to leave space on the right.

Eagles thrive when they can get the opposition in 3rd & long, get 6 DBs on the field, and have the DL pin their ears back and get after the QB. Getting a bit of chunk yardage every down is going to be important for the Patriots offense.

I also think there will be a few opportunities - not many - for the Patriots to run 12 personnel and then catch the Eagles with three LBs on the field. Then run no-huddle and have, potentially, six potential receivers, with some of them matching up against LBs that aren't great in pass coverage. From what I saw, the LBs are also prone to biting on play action when you have heavy personnel in there, but of course that will depend on the Patriots establishing some kind of run threat.

It also seemed like the Eagles can struggle covering RBs, so the Patriots could use some 2 RB sets with options at the line depending on what the Eagles show.

So much is going to depend on containing the Eagles' front 4. If they can stuff the run and then start bothering Brady, that's what will lead to the kind of turnovers that they got vs. MIN. Two of the three turnovers that MIN had, as well as another should-have-been INT, were caused by the front four.

The teams that have been most effective against us are the ones that use our aggressive against us.  A commitment to the run, play action, misdirection, end-arounds and screens are the best ways to attack this defense.  If the Pats lineup in 12 personnel, I think they are doing themselves a disservice.  I think they'll be far better spreading us out, utilizing a quick passing game (we give receivers way too much respect on the perimeter) with a healthy dose of Lewis and James White with both runs and short designed passes.  

I honestly, think the Eagles base defense might be a Nickle D this game.  Najee Goode is such a liability, that I think they'll do everything they can do keep him off the field. They may even roll Malcolm Jenkins down to play LB if the Pats do go with a lot of heavy formations.

2 hours ago, eagles18 said:

Just felt like reminding everyone that Tom Brady is not the GOAT 

You do know that knowing the other teams signals isn't cheating, right? That it's just being good at football? That's what film rooms are for.

Kuechly is always being praised for knowing the offense's plays and audibles, because he's smart and he watches film. Not because he cheats.

Archived