Eagles vs Patriots SBLII GDT

Nabbs4u

13 minutes ago, Starless said:

I'm cool with all manner of skullduggery, as long as it's not being sanctioned by league officials. I think it's part of the competition and anyone who goes into pro sports with some expectation of everyone around them being some sort of eagle scout is committing an act of self-sabotage. 

Stealing signals, stealing playbooks, and all other varieties of espionage is a tradition in pro football that goes back to the days of Halas, Brown and Lombardi. If a team doesn't want to fall victim to it, they should wise up and take steps to protect themselves.

Having said that, a lot of what the Patriots have been accused of is more rumor than fact, so let's not throw around claims that we can't back up.

It's hard to back up claims when things are kept hush hush by the Commissioner and evidence gets destroyed. 

Anyways, this is going nowhere.  Like I said, just want to see a fair, clean game.  May the best team win.

I think we can all agree that the waiting is torture.  I wish the game were tomorrow already.

14 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

I just don't believe that there wasn't any competitive advantage gained from all this no matter how good they are...

I mean why even do it if you're that good...I mean just head and shoulders above everyone.

First of all, I think the Pats benefited against so many crappy teams within their division over the last 17 years.  Their division provides no real challenge so they feast on that, get easy wins, and that helps boost their record year in and year out to get them to the playoffs and HFA's.  They are 72-21 against the AFC East since 2001.  That's insane.  And you know BB, tries anything to gain advantages for the big games.  Are they genius, brilliant, and talented?  No doubt, but you can't tell me the Pats wouldn't be this successful without all this extra help and that there isn't some advantage gained by what he was doing.

Dude get real.  We are talking about:

a) Someone, in broad daylight, video taping a team's practice 11 years ago, after which the tapes were seized and destroyed.

b) A Patriots staffer inflating the teams' footballs to the low end of the legal range and the balls subsequently becoming under-inflated due to cold weather, in a game in which they outscored their opponents 28-0 in the second half with properly inflated footballs.

Quit acting like these were brilliant / genius schemes that give the Pats 'all this extra help.'  They were at most minor rule infractions.  Bill and the rest of the Patriots organization do like to push the limits of the rulebook to gain an edge, as they should.  In at least one instance they clearly crossed a line.  But 'all this extra help' really amounted to losing multiple first round picks and 4 games of Tom Brady.  I'm sure that's why they've won 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls and are headed to another.

Lets just stick to the game and enjoy the week.  You can come up with some excuses if / when your team gets rocked by the Billy GOAT Express.  Thinking them up ahead of time isn't going to help.

19 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Lets just stick to the game and enjoy the week.  You can come up with some excuses if / when your team gets rocked by the Billy GOAT Express.  Thinking them up ahead of time isn't going to help.

Why do you guys keep saying this?!  I've stated it isn't about making any excuses.

Let's be real here, nobody expected us to be here.  We are heavy underdogs to the 5-time (and defending) SB Champs with the GOAT Coach/QB combo while we have several major key starters out and are playing with our backup QB with a 2nd-year coach...

We're playing with house money.  Most people aren't expecting us to win or probably even giving us a chance, so why would we need excuses?  If you guys lose on the other hand, there won't be enough Sam Adams up there in Bahstan.

I think my Eagles will win, though, and shock the world.

1 minute ago, jonu62882 said:

Why do you guys keep saying this?!  I've stated it isn't about making any excuses.

Let's be real here, nobody expected us to be here.  We are heavy underdogs to the 5-time (and defending) SB Champs with the GOAT Coach/QB combo while we have several major key starters out and are playing with our backup QB with a 2nd-year coach...

We're playing with house money.  Most people aren't expecting us to win or probably even giving us a chance, so why would we need excuses?  If you guys lose on the other hand, there won't be enough Sam Adams up there in Bahstan.

Tbf nobody in Boston will be shocked if the Patriots lose.  

2 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

Because it really sounds like your setting yourself up with qualifiers to a loss so you can make excuses. That or your being really passive aggressive trying to instigate an argument. I wouldn't even say your heavy underdogs either. You're less than a TD underdogs against a team that won 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls and the MVP while you're fielding a back up QB. 

45 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

I just don't believe that there wasn't any competitive advantage gained from all this no matter how good they are...

I mean why even do it if you're that good...I mean just head and shoulders above everyone.

First of all, I think the Pats benefited against so many crappy teams within their division over the last 17 years.  Their division provides no real challenge so they feast on that, get easy wins, and that helps boost their record year in and year out to get them to the playoffs and HFA's.  They are 72-21 against the AFC East since 2001.  That's insane.  And you know BB, tries anything to gain advantages for the big games.  Are they genius, brilliant, and talented?  No doubt, but you can't tell me the Pats wouldn't be this successful without all this extra help and that there isn't some advantage gained by what he was doing.

Because why not? When Spygate was going on in New England it was an unenforced rule that countless other teams copped to and HOF Super Bowl coaches admitted to. It took a new commissioner and a memo to reestablish that they were going to in fact start enforcing the rule again. If everybody is doing it and there is no punishment for doing it, why woudln't you take advantage of that. Also in the matter of Spygate there are legal ways to do exactly what the Patriots did. The violation wasn't stealing signals. It was where they were filming them. 

The only thing Spygate really did (which ironically your post is a pretty good example of) is it gave people who were fans of other teams an excuse to say "well they would be just like us if Spygate didn't happen". No. They've made 5 Super Bowls since Spygate and 8 AFCCG. They were actually more successful post Spygate than after Spygate. And as far as deflategate went, Brady's stats actually improved after they changed the protocol and the Patriots fumble numbers stayed the same. 

So you'd have to explain why in both cases when the alleged controversies ended, they got better... 

33 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Tbf nobody in Boston will be shocked if the Patriots lose.  

O rly?

Listening to Boston Sports Radio (including the hosts who think Doug Pederson is a moron) say otherwise.  I find that hard to believe that city of Boston isn't brimming with confidence thinking they'll beat us with no worries.  C'mon, it's the genius, Bill Belichick and Tom Terrific...what's to worry about?

Archived