Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Spielman:  “We want to keep all of our guys, and we’ll try to see if there’s a way that we can do that because those guys are very important to us and we would love to get them locked up as well.”

Spielman noted that the Vikings got three deals done last summer as salary-cap guru Rob Brzezinski worked his magic. The Vikings extended cornerback Xavier Rhodes, defensive end Everson Griffen and defensive tackle Linval Joseph. They hope to do the same this summer.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/27/danielle-hunters-deal-now-done-vikings-working-on-stefon-diggs-anthony-barr/  

Rudolph would probably be the only veteran player that would fall into the Griffen/Joseph category, as his contract is up after the 2019 season.  Sendejo's contract will also be up, but that'll likely be the end of the road for him, while they potentially could extend Rudolph for 2-3 more years, which would take him to age 32.  

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Great read indeed, oh what could have been....

And the reaction to the article...

I'll start to read this once I down this entire jug of kerosene with a glass of horse tranquilizer as a chaser. #Skol #Vikings

I was eight years old. I locked myself in the bathroom and cried for two hours after Morten Anderson made the game winning field goal.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/28/vikings-1998-oral-history-fans-react

And the problem is that I agree with Billick.  I've never really gotten over it.  I got over '87, '09 and even last year pretty quickly, but that game was the greatest opportunity this franchise has ever had to make the Super Bowl since the '70s.  Denny blew it.  

Edited by disaacs

As great as the Vikings defense was in 2017, they did not create as many turnovers as being the league's No. 1 defense would suggest. They were tied with the New York Giants for the 23rd-most turnovers created last year with a total of 19 (14 interceptions, five fumbles recovered). The only other top-five defense that ranked lower than them in this category was the Denver Broncos, who came in at 26th with 17 total takeaways.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/ContentGallery/Minnesota-Vikings-The-biggest-questions-to-answer-in-2018-118311025/#118311025_7

Danielle Hunter’s mega five-year extension worth $72 million officially kicks in 2019, following the final year of his rookie deal this fall. He immediately pockets a $15 million signing bonus, which is what drops the team’s remaining cap number for this season by a prorated amount of $3,156,806, according to a summary of the contract obtained by the Star Tribune.

The Vikings have $14,061,115 remaining in cap space after Hunter’s new deal was factored into public NFLPA records. That number is expected to drop to around $12.5 million after the team eventually gets first-round rookie Mike Hughes under contract before training camp this month. 

General manager Rick Spielman and cap manager Rob Brzezinski have wiggle room to get two remaining cornerstones — receiver Stefon Diggs and linebacker Anthony Barr — on long-term deals before they each enter their contract seasons.

http://www.startribune.com/details-on-danielle-hunters-contract-extension-and-vikings-cap-space-left/487331611/

• Like 4

Kyle Rudolph and Harrison Smith have been sharing the same football field since 2008, when Rudolph joined the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and Smith was already there as a redshirt freshman.

Rudolph: “You know, it’s funny Harrison and my relationship started with a fight in training camp my freshman year. Harrison played outside linebacker and I was playing tight end, and you know we were obviously both freshmen at the time. Harrison was a redshirt freshman and I was a true freshman and we were both trying to prove ourselves, that we belonged. So our first interaction as friends and as teammates was a fight in training camp. Now we have been playing together for the last 10 years, minus the one year I was here and he was still in college. We’re definitely close. It’s a pleasure for me to be able to go against him every day in practice because he is the best safety in football. If I’m going against him every day in practice, it’s going to make me a better football player. He definitely makes me better as a player, and he makes Sundays a lot easier for me because the guy I’m going against on Sunday is usually not as good.”

“I remember going into my second year here and they had Harrison at the Senior Bowl and really liked him and liked how good he was as a player, a smart player. We got through that first round of the draft and there was an opportunity to get him, so you know I remember when we drafted him late in the first round and traded back to get him, and obviously the rest is history. He has had a great career.”

http://www.startribune.com/kyle-rudolph-harrison-smith-friendship-began-with-a-fight-at-irish-camp/487576381/

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Normally, not strong enough of a source for me to quote, but in the replies, Darren Wolfson commented and did not dispute the report. 

This is excellent news, assuming of course that it is all sourced correctly. Best to get Diggs locked up quickly, as the potential for a spike in his stats is there this year given the boost at the QB position.

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Wonder how Barr feels seeing potentially 3 players getting new deals first.

Whats the LB franchise tag looking like next year. Could be a plausible option.

Unfortunately ego's play into these things a lot, but hopefully he understands that one contract being handed out vs his not being in place is more of a business decision/ issue of timing rather than some personal knock or sign of disrespect. End of the day, no one knows what the full intent of the team is or what their thought process is. They might be willing to let Barr walk for all we know.

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Wonder how Barr feels seeing potentially 3 players getting new deals first.

Whats the LB franchise tag looking like next year. Could be a plausible option.

Barr might be just as happy to let things go until the tampering period in March, especially if he's expecting to get more work as a pass rusher this year. If he puts up 6-7 sacks in a limited role, he might get a $14-15M offer from a team with a 3-4 scheme, instead of the maybe $11-12M the Vikings are probably willing to pay. 

Franchise tag is set by the 3-4 OLBs, not a realistic option without squeezing the cap next year when they can't really afford to.