Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

In more than three weeks since the NFL enacted a new anthem policy that managed to cause more problems than it solved, teams and owners and league officials generally have managed to keep their heads low and their mouths shut on the topic. For the Vikings, the subject became unavoidable on Friday, because the team publicly cut the ribbon on its swanky new training facility. Via the Minneapolis Star Tribune, owner Mark Wilf expressed support for the new anthem policy, and he explained that the organization remains on the same page.

Mark Wilf: “Whatever we do, we’re going to do as a team. That involves working on social justice issues, hearing from the players and really partnering with them. We’ve been in the process of having those conversations to do some great things in the community as they have done for many years, but more focused on some of the social justice issues that are of concern to them. We look forward to advancing some of the great things we do in the community. I can tell you as a son of immigrants I think it’s very important for our ownership. I think we all understand that. We’re in a good place on all this and we just look forward to really working together.”

The inescapable message is that the Vikings will stand for the anthem as a team. Reinforcing that message are recent comments from coach Mike Zimmer, who (as he usually does) made his position clear.

Zimmer: “I think it’s important we stand for the anthem, a lot of people have died for that flag. That flag represents our country and what we stand for. Our players are very respectful — and our ownership, our organization, our franchise — of the military and what that flag means.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/16/vikings-plan-a-team-approach-to-anthem/

In April, two Vikings players were suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances. They then had to explain their actions to Mike Zimmer. Linebacker Kentrell Brothers learned of his suspension April 20, and wide receiver Cayleb Jones got the news 10 days later. Both players said they apologized to Zimmer as well as to others in the Vikings organization. Brothers and Jones both said they took a supplement they they were unaware contained a banned substance.

Brothers: “It’s intimidating to go up to the head coach and talk to him like that. I told him that he didn’t need to worry about anything, I’m not addicted to drugs or anything. I just made a mistake and apologize and whatever you want me to do, I’m willing to do. And he told me that he appreciated me for coming up there. I made a silly mistake, I took something I didn’t know what was in it and I got popped. It’s nobody’s fault but my own.’’

Jones:  "I made a careless mistake. I contacted everybody of authority on the Vikings. I’m just trying to do what I’m supposed to do and taking responsibility and moving on. It was an accident. It won’t happen again.It’s always tough to make the team, so I’m not going to let something that I can’t control now affect the way I play in the future.’’

Zimmer: “I talked to them both about what the situation was and what happened and those kind of things, which I’ll keep to myself. Like I usually do, I tell them my true feelings on everything.’’

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/13/suspended-vikings-kentrell-brothers-cayleb-jones-offer-plenty-of-remorse/

All a trainer is going to do is look at the ingredients listed on the back and compare it to the list of banned substances provided by the league. And, as we saw with Kevin and Pat Williams with the Star Caps case, companies don’t always include everything in their list of ingredients. 

Then there are situations like the one that Thomas Davis is currently claiming, where he used a supplement that he’s been using his entire career, a supplement that he had previously gotten cleared from team trainers only to have the company change the formula and their ingredients, without disclosing it on their label. 

The Minnesota Vikings will induct former head coach Dennis Green in the club’s Ring of Honor in 2018.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Vikings-To-Induct-Dennis-Green-Into-Clubs-Ring-of-Honor/d3aaef65-bdac-4d5a-b228-000545b0e5fc

It's unfortunate that he can't be there to witness it, but I'm sure he'll be watching from the high road.  Even though I didn't always like the things he did, especially his lack of attention towards the defense, but this honor is certainly warranted.  

Edited by disaacs
  • Like 1

Rookie defensive end Hercules Mata'afa tore his ACL in a Vikings OTA practice earlier this month and the team made a move to fill his roster spot on Wednesday. The Vikings announced that they have signed linebacker Mike Needham. Mata’afa has been waived with an injury designation and will revert to injured reserve or receive an injury settlement if he goes unclaimed.

Needham signed with the Cardinals after going undrafted out of Southern Utah, but was waived after their rookie minicamp. Needham was named a first-team All-Big Sky player after three of his collegiate seasons and posted 100 tackles and seven tackles for loss in his final college campaign.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/20/vikings-sign-mike-needham-waive-injured-hercules-mataafa/

Mata'afa took to his Instagram account after his injury to guarantee that he will be back on the field and praised the Vikings organization not only for the opportunity to join the team, but also sticking with him through a tough time in his career, especially early on. He wants the fans to know that he will soon make them proud as he works his way back onto the field.

Mata'afa: “I’m really happy with the support of the Vikings at this moment. They made my day when it started off dark and cold. I’m glad free agency and God brought me here! Thanks to everyone else as well for the kind words. I will make the Skol nation proud in the near future!’’

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-place-Hercules-Mataafa-on-injured-reserve-119207877/

On 6/21/2018 at 7:46 AM, vike daddy said:

Rookie defensive end Hercules Mata'afa tore his ACL in a Vikings OTA practice earlier this month and the team made a move to fill his roster spot on Wednesday. The Vikings announced that they have signed linebacker Mike Needham. Mata’afa has been waived with an injury designation and will revert to injured reserve or receive an injury settlement if he goes unclaimed.

Needham signed with the Cardinals after going undrafted out of Southern Utah, but was waived after their rookie minicamp. Needham was named a first-team All-Big Sky player after three of his collegiate seasons and posted 100 tackles and seven tackles for loss in his final college campaign.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/20/vikings-sign-mike-needham-waive-injured-hercules-mataafa/

Needham? CJ better watch out.

• Like 3

Apparently, in the meantimes since mini-camp, we've had some position changes...

Holton Hill is now strictly a CB

Jack Tocho is now strictly a CB (I believe he had been playing some S as well)

Terence Newman is now a DB, instead of just a CB...as is Marcus Sherels.  

Tom Compton is now strictly an OT

CJ Ham is no longer a FB...he's a RB (which means Johnny Stanton is the only FB on the roster)