Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

16 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Adding Mychal Kendricks only makes sense if they want to rotate him in sometimes in nickel (resting Barr or EK), or else if they want to move Barr and have MK take over as the full time SLB. 

Or, you know, depth. 

That makes a lot of sense for the Vikings. 

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

Gedeon is fine, but I don't think he's ideal as the third LB. I like him better as 4th, leading the ST unit.

Gedeon is good at what they ask the 3rd LB to do: play downhill in run defense on early downs against 2 WR or 1 WR sets. He made a bunch of plays last year, and hardly missed any. He was even decent in coverage. There’s no real need to upgrade him. Bumping him down to the LB4 means he’d only play on special teams, aside from garbage time or in case of injury. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Or, you know, depth. 

That makes a lot of sense for the Vikings. 

I mean, it’d be great to have a starting caliber LB in the prime of his career sitting on the bench just in case someone got hurt, but that kind of depth is rare across the NFL at any position. And the Vikings aren’t in a position to pay Kendricks what he’s worth to other teams. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Maybe half that. 

Agree that they could pay him $1-2M as a depth piece. But why on earth would Kendricks accept that offer?

He was worth $7M a year before the Eagles switched to a 4-3 scheme, and Jordan Hicks turned into a plus starter. There are several teams around the league where he could play 800-1000 snaps and should be able to earn at least $4-5M. 

Doesnt even make sense for him to sign as a one year prove-it deal, since he won’t play enough to prove anything unless the Vikings rotate him in ahead of Barr or EK in nickel, or someone gets hurt. 

I could see the Vikings trading Barr and signing MK for something like $5-6M x 3 years, but otherwise there’s just no way it makes sense on either side: there isn’t the opportunity or the need or the money.

If MK is willing to sign for one year for Lamur's money, I'm all for it, for depth purposes alone. 

If he's willing to sign longer term for less than he was making for the Eagles, I'll take it. They'd have to either trade Barr or let him leave next year as a UFA.  In either case they should be able to net roughly a 4th, whether in trade value (which is what the Giants gave up for Ogletree, though he was already signed long-term) or as a comp pick. 

Exchanging Barr on a long-term deal for Mychal Kendricks plus a 4th (in 2019 or 2020) and ~$4M in cap space per year starting in 2019 seems like a good deal. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 3

Linebacker Mychal Kendricks‘ stay in Minnesota included dinner with his brother Eric and a visit with Eric’s team, but he isn’t signing with the Vikings before meeting at least one other team.

Kendricks told Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press that he is leaving Tuesday night for Oakland and a visit with the Raiders. He then plans to visit with the Browns before making a decision about where he’ll spend the 2018 season. Kendricks told Tomasson that it would be a “dream come true” to play alongside his brother and that Eric is lobbying him to remain in the Twin Cities, but things haven’t progressed to a point where he’s considering an offer from someone higher up in the organization.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/29/mychal-kendricks-moving-on-to-visit-raiders-browns/

Mychal Kendricks: "It’d be a dream come true, he's my best friend. Playing with my bro would be so cool, and it’s a rare opportunity.’ He’s doing all he can, he’s let me know what the team’s all about. But he knows in the end I’m going to make my decision based off the things that are presented to me. I’m looking at the teams and then I will make a decision, and then money talks will come into play, and then I’ll make another decision.’’

“That’s everybody’s goal in the league to win a championship, but to win one with him would be awesome.’’

Kendricks said he’s not aware of the Vikings making an offer yet.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/29/after-vikings-visit-mychal-kendricks-says-joining-brother-eric-would-be-awesome/

Edited by vike daddy

12 hours ago, Krauser said:

There are several teams around the league where he could play 800-1000 snaps and should be able to earn at least $4-5M. 

But which of those teams have shown interest?

Of the 3 teams reported to have shown interest, Cleveland is really the only team in a position to make that kind of offer. Oakland has less than $3M in cap space, and Minnesota can use the depth, but they’ve got more pressing needs to allocate their money towards. 

The reality is that it’s June. Big money contracts are over, heck, even market value contracts are done. It’s bargain hunting season. Kendricks is going to get signed for a 1 year bargain, and then head into FA next year. That’s where we’re at in the offseason. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

lots of chatter starting up here about trading Barr...

what could we get for him?

I wouldn't trade him for less than a 1st and a 3rd (and even then, I'd waffle on that...I'd really prefer a 2nd instead of the 3rd).  

Edited by disaacs