Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Experienced, yes. Poor word choice on my part. Maybe successful is a better choice. I don’t remember Gray’s defense’s in Buffalo, but I do remember them being fairly mediocre in Tennessee. Whereas, I thought Bowles was an excellent DC in Arizona. Plus, if Gray is comfortable where he’s at, I’d much rather leave him there and continue to coach these young DBs. 

Even if Zimmer gives up play calling, we know the defense will still be heavily influenced by Zimmer. I'm not too worried about Grays track record. The fact that he's been here for a few years and has worked with Zimmer closely probably means more to what Zimmer wants than bringing in a different coach who may see things  differently than the HC.

Edwards isn't going anywhere though. He will do the interviews because of NFL rules but I'm not convinced he's a legit HC candidate.

Edited by vikingsrule

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Experienced, yes. Poor word choice on my part. Maybe successful is a better choice. I don’t remember Gray’s defense’s in Buffalo, but I do remember them being fairly mediocre in Tennessee. Whereas, I thought Bowles was an excellent DC in Arizona. Plus, if Gray is comfortable where he’s at, I’d much rather leave him there and continue to coach these young DBs. 

Gray was in a very similar situation in Buffalo, as he was the DC under Gregg Williams...and they were the #2 defense in the NFL in both 2003 and 2004.  I agree about Tennessee, that they were fairly mediocre under Gray, but I think they were even worse under his successor, Ray Horton...so it may have been a talent issue.  They still haven't really recovered defensively since the Fisher era...although they have their moments from time to time.

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I just remember Bowles having a very successful blitzing defense. 

And the familiarity with Bowles and Zimmer is there. Bowles was Zimmer’s secondary coach when they were in Dallas. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Bowles...I personally don't think the Jets should fire him (even though they probably will)...it's far from his fault why they've been so bad.  I actually think he's done a decent job considering the obstacles he's had to face (like the front office handcuffing him with a lack of talent, all in hopes of having a ton of cap space next year).  I'm sure someone will bring him on board as DC...it could even be George Edwards, if he gets a HC job, considering they worked together in Miami.  

NFC PRO BOWL ROSTER BY POSITION

OFFENSE

Wide receiver: Julio Jones*, Atlanta Falcons; Michael Thomas*, New Orleans Saints; Adam Thielen, Minnesota Vikings; Davante Adams, Green Bay Packers

Tackle: Tyron Smith*, Dallas Cowboys; Terron Armstead*, New Orleans Saints; Trent Williams, Washington Redskins

Guard: Zack Martin*, Dallas Cowboys; Brandon Brooks*, Philadelphia Eagles; Trai Turner, Carolina Panthers

Center: Alex Mack*, Atlanta Falcons; Max Unger, New Orleans Saints

Tight end: Zach Ertz*, Philadelphia Eagles; George Kittle, San Francisco 49ers

Quarterback: Drew Brees*, New Orleans Saints; Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams; Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

Running back: Todd Gurley*, Los Angeles Rams; Saquon Barkley, New York Giants; Ezekiel Elliott, Dallas Cowboys

Fullback: Kyle Juszczyk*, San Francisco 49ers

DEFENSE

Defensive end: Cameron Jordan*, New Orleans Saints; DeMarcus Lawrence*, Dallas Cowboys; Danielle Hunter, Minnesota Vikings

Interior lineman: Aaron Donald*, Los Angeles Rams; Fletcher Cox*, Philadelphia Eagles; Akiem Hicks, Chicago Bears

Outside linebacker: Khalil Mack*, Chicago Bears; Ryan Kerrigan*, Washington Redskins; Anthony Barr, Minnesota Vikings

Inside linebacker: Luke Kuechly*, Carolina Panthers; Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks

Cornerback: Kyle Fuller*, Chicago Bears; Patrick Peterson*, Arizona Cardinals; Darius Slay, Detroit Lions, Byron Jones, Dallas Cowboys

Free safety: Eddie Jackson*, Chicago Bears; Harrison Smith, Minnesota Vikings

Strong safety: Landon Collins*, New York Giants

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/18/chargers-lead-league-with-seven-pro-bowlers/

Defensive end Ifeadi Odenigbo chose to remain on the Vikings’ practice squad rather than join the Eagles’ 53-player roster after Minnesota increased his pay, Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press reports. The Vikings raised Odenigbo’s salary to $28,235 per week, which is the same as he would have made on a minimum deal with the Eagles. The practice squad minimum is $7,600 a week.

Odenigbo: “When you’re on the practice squad, you don’t really know if you’re staying with a team, but the Vikings told me they look at me as part of the future, so it was cool, They told me, ‘We have plans for you and trust the process and we’ll match their offer.’ So that worked out well.’’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/21/ifeadi-odenigbo-spurns-eagles-offer-to-stay-on-vikings-practice-squad/

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

If he's part of the future, what does that mean for guys like Tashawn Bower or Stephen Weatherly, who's in his last year of his contract?

Weatherly is under contract through 2020. Bower hasn't really flashed much so I could see him getting replaced next year.

Cant forget about Everson Griffen, he may not be on the team in 2020, we might see ourselves in a situation where we pay Weatherly to be the starter going forward. 

40 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Weatherly is under contract through 2020. Bower hasn't really flashed much so I could see him getting replaced next year.

Cant forget about Everson Griffen, he may not be on the team in 2020, we might see ourselves in a situation where we pay Weatherly to be the starter going forward. 

https://overthecap.com/player/stephen-weatherly/4940/

I see that here, but i thought he was only under a 4 year deal I thought? How can a 7th round player get a 5th year?

Edited by SteelKing728

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

https://overthecap.com/player/stephen-weatherly/4940/

I see that here, but i thought he was only under a 4 year deal I thought? How can a 7th round player get a 5th year?

The info at that link to OTC shows a four year deal. It looks like they released Weatherly and signed him to the practice squad in 2016 before signing him to a four year deal when signing him to the active roster later in the year. That deal covered the rest of 2016 along with 2017, 2018, and is scheduled to cover 2019.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...