Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Cousins was very successful with the TE in Washington. But Reed was a completely different type than Rudolph. This team needs a third receiver to emerge as a threat, I don't think we got that from Rudolph last year. And certainly not from Treadwell. For $8m savings, I'd take the risk from going to Rudolph to Morgan as the starter, assuming another TE is drafted. 

I am not scared of moving on from Rudolph either. I agree that the replacement likely won't be as good as him in the receiving game. I do, however, feel that the money saved can be better used to strengthen the team more than the downgrade from Rudolph to Morgan. I wouldn't be looking to cut Rudolph until that money saved is already spent on something that would be of greater use to the team (they have agreed in principle with someone else at a position they realize needs the investment more).

Being a top ten TE in yards isn't all that impressive to me. It isn't like being a top 10 QB. All 32 teams have starting QBs. Not all 32 teams have offenses that try to utilize their TE consistently in the passing game. I wouldn't say the TE position is as devalued as the third LB positions but both have been devalued by the increased use of 3+ WR sets across the league in the last 20 years. This leaves more options available for teams that truly want a TE that they can use like a big WR. If the Vikings do not want to (or can't) truly feature Rudolph as a receiver he isn't worth the $7M investment. He certainly isn't worth it as a blocker.

Whether the team wants to feature the TE or WR3 more heavily going forward I do not know as we haven't seen what Stefanski has planned. I would hope he is open to either option depending on the players they can get. They do need one or the other IMO though and I wouldn't be cutting Rudolph without something in hand. I would be looking at what is out there and considering it though if the right guys agree to terms.

I have not seen anything to make me think it is a good idea to be completely closed to the idea of moving on from Rudolph. For now he is a Viking and that is great. He is their best option right now.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Rudolph's value comes in his blocking skills and it's a huge reason the Vikings were willing to pay him.

Yeah, if they is value they are looking at from the position they should go with Morgan. Morgan brings way more to the table with regard to blocking skills and is also way cheaper.

23 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Cousins was very successful with the TE in Washington. But Reed was a completely different type than Rudolph. This team needs a third receiver to emerge as a threat, I don't think we got that from Rudolph last year. And certainly not from Treadwell. For $8m savings, I'd take the risk from going to Rudolph to Morgan as the starter, assuming another TE is drafted. 

Reed is also on the all time talent level for TE, literally all the talent in the world when healthy, not to leave out Vernon Davis who also is one athletic freak. We just don’t have that

I think the Vikes keep Rudolph until he retires.  He seems like Kleinsasser in some ways, loyal, talented enough . . . and he's deeply involved in the community.  He'll get a good value if he accepts a paycut. . . much more than veteran minimum but not top-20 money.

Does that mean the Vikes pass on a 240-lb, 4.6 40 guy with sticky hands and a 80" wingspan?  No, it doesn't.  Matter of fact some of the greatest success Kubiak and Dennison had was with that guy in Denver . . . the one they could never find a true position for so they made up the H-back, just for dear ole' Shannon Sharpe.  I don't know of anyone in this year's draft that emulates Shannon though . . . maybe Caleb Wilson from UCLA?  Irv Smith Jr?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I think the Vikes keep Rudolph until he retires.  He seems like Kleinsasser in some ways, loyal, talented enough . . . and he's deeply involved in the community.  He'll get a good value if he accepts a paycut. . . much more than veteran minimum but not top-20 money.

Does that mean the Vikes pass on a 240-lb, 4.6 40 guy with sticky hands and a 80" wingspan?  No, it doesn't.  Matter of fact some of the greatest success Kubiak and Dennison had was with that guy in Denver . . . the one they could never find a true position for so they made up the H-back, just for dear ole' Shannon Sharpe.  I don't know of anyone in this year's draft that emulates Shannon though . . . maybe Caleb Wilson from UCLA?  Irv Smith Jr?

The problem with this is that Rudolph just wouldn't be a valuable backup. He isn't versatile and doesn't block well. If I recall, Kleinsasser played on STs too. Kleinsasser lined up everywhere and was a devastating blocker.

If he takes a pay cut, he absolutely would still have value to the team. He’s a reliable pass catcher, and is still an effective chain mover and red zone target. 

A “back up” role for Rudolph would be more of a time-share, or situational, with another player; instead of his current all-purpose usage. His not playing special teams isn’t a big deal if the other active TEs on the roster still do.

that would be very similar to Greenway’s final year. 

On 2/8/2019 at 7:09 PM, TENINCH said:

First time I've read that. They kept him in to block quite often. Learn something new everyday....even about players that have been on the team for awhile.

I agree with him. He is a pretty below average blocker. They kept him into block because when on the field, the defense had to at least respect him a little more than our other TE’s. He was just forced to stay in and block

48 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He's not a poor blocker, he's just not a great one.  He's far better than he was when he came out.  

To be honest, that doesn’t take much. Coming out he just barely even did it.  I still would consider him a below average pass blocker. 

Half the issue we saw this year with him tho is the team thinking he could match up with a edge 1 vs 1 and he will lose that battle almost every time.

• Like 1