Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

8 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Which is one reason I can’t see the Vikings trading Cousins. 

The Vikings have a replacement in place with Mond. He may not be the final answer, but he gives them an option. 

If Cousins is tradeable, which many analysts seem to think he is, getting out from under that contract may be worth handing the keys over to Mond for 2022. 

Well, Mond certainly is listed as a QB rostered by the Minnesota Vikings. However, he’s as much a project as T-Jack was when drafted. I don’t know that you’d really see what he’s capable of if thrown into the fire next year. I think it’s more likely that he’d look terrible and be replaced the following season without having a real chance to develop. 

Trading the 2nd best Quarterback in franchise history without a viable replacement would be a very Vikings thing to do. 

In my opinion, the proper thing to do (barring a Matt Stafford type offer) is to extend Cousins for an additional two years to bring his cap hit down, compete next year (hopefully with a new Head Coach) and if things stay the same, trade him then. 

36 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I don’t know that you’d really see what he’s capable of if thrown into the fire next year. I think it’s more likely that he’d look terrible and be replaced the following season without having a real chance to develop. 

I think Mond would surprise a lot of people. He may not be the final answer, but this team has so much talent on the offensive side of the ball to surround him with, that his physical skill set alone would probably be enough to win a few games. Similar to what Hurts is doing in Philadelphia. Hurts is far from a polished QB, and he’s relying on his physical skills more than anything. But he making plays. He’s creating opportunities. And while he’s not always pretty, he has his team fighting for the playoffs.

But if Mond crashes and burns, so be it. Then you know what he is or isn’t, and you go find a QB in the draft.

All in all, I am ready for new leadership, and a new approach, with the Vikings. That’s a new general manager, a new head coach, and a new quarterback. 

And maybe the successor isn’t as good as the predecessor. That risk exists. But I’d rather see ownership take that risk, than hope that something changes from what’s currently in place that we haven’t seen in the last four, eight, or ten years. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

All in all, I am ready for new leadership, and a new approach, with the Vikings. That’s a new general manager, a new head coach, and a new quarterback. 

And maybe the successor isn’t as good as the predecessor. That risk exists. But I’d rather see ownership take that risk, than hope that something changes from what’s currently in place that we haven’t seen in the last four, eight, or ten years. 

The Wilf’s won’t. Why would they? Being consistently mediocre isn’t a bad place to be in the NFL from an ownership perspective. Especially with a loyal fan base.

As much as we want to see it, I’m still convinced we won’t see a new HC or GM until Zimmer or Spielman retire.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Wilf’s won’t. Why would they? Being consistently mediocre isn’t a bad place to be in the NFL from an ownership perspective. Especially with a loyal fan base.

As much as we want to see it, I’m still convinced we won’t see a new HC or GM until Zimmer or Spielman retire.  

The Wilfs want to win. They’ve spent a lot of money to get players on this roster that they’ve been told will help them win. 

There’s too much smoke out there about Zimmer for me not to believe it. He was supposedly out the door before his victory against NO in 2019. After back to back seasons with no playoffs, I’d be shocked if he’s back in 2022. Spielman might be safer, but it’s always been depicted that him and Zimmer were a package deal.