Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

While I doubt the compensation would be the same, I could see the Browns and Vikings doing a QB swap a la Los Angeles and Detroit last year. 

While it would be a downgrade in terms of passer, I can’t deny that this team could use more players with Mayfield’s swagger. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

While I doubt the compensation would be the same, I could see the Browns and Vikings doing a QB swap a la Los Angeles and Detroit last year. 

While it would be a downgrade in terms of passer, I can’t deny that this team could use more players with Mayfield’s swagger. 

We would get Mayfield and a draft pick, or do we give up the pick due to difference in age?

16 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

You sure. Someone has to take on that bad Cousins contract. 

Someone has to take on that bad Mayfield option. 

Cousins’ contract is not actually that bad to trade for. An extension, which would also most like occur with a new team, also gives the other team a chance to lower his cap hit. 

A team trading for Cousins is getting a QB who has played like a top 10 QB for 3 seasons. That’s worth quite a bit. Just look at what Detroit got for Stafford. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I have a friend who hates Mayfield. I'd love to see this trade happen just to see him meltdown.

From a football perspective, meh? Have to commit to full-on rebuild if we're trading Cousins. I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that Cousins is traded though but I think it's unlikely.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Someone has to take on that bad Mayfield option. 

Cousins’ contract is not actually that bad to trade for. An extension, which would also most like occur with a new team, also gives the other team a chance to lower his cap hit. 

A team trading for Cousins is getting a QB who has played like a top 10 QB for 3 seasons. That’s worth quite a bit. Just look at what Detroit got for Stafford. 

I don't view that Mayfield option as that bad...it's basically a 1-yr tryout and if he sucks, you move on.  And it's still about $17M shaved off what you would have paid Cousins in total. 

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't view that Mayfield option as that bad...it's basically a 1-yr tryout and if he sucks, you move on.  And it's still about $17M shaved off what you would have paid Cousins in total. 

It’s not bad per se, but if Cleveland wants to move on from Mayfield they still would need to find a suitor, and his contract is fully guaranteed. 

Personally, for where the Vikings now are as a team, and as a roster, flipping Cousins for Mayfield and getting that cap relief plus maybe a day 2 pick, it seems like a win-win option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s not bad per se, but if Cleveland wants to move on from Mayfield they still would need to find a suitor, and his contract is fully guaranteed. 

Personally, for where the Vikings now are as a team, and as a roster, flipping Cousins for Mayfield and getting that cap relief plus maybe a day 2 pick, it seems like a win-win option. 

Stefanski sure did get a look at Kirk. The only question would be if he wants him.

I actually wouldn't mind this option, but again... The new GM and HC are really going to have to discuss how bad they want Baker and his personality here as their first option at QB going into the future without a real solid back-up plan. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 9:39 PM, swede700 said:

For those that care, now that it's getting towards the end of this season, this appears to be the opponents for next season:

Home: Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Dallas, Giants, New England, Jets, Colts, Rams/Cardinals

Road: Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Philadelphia, Washington, Buffalo, Miami, New Orleans/Atlanta

If the Rams beat SF this weekend, the Vikings will be playing the Cardinals next season.  If the Cardinals win and the Rams lose, then we get the Rams at home again.

The Vikings will play at the winner of this Saints/Falcons game next year.  

• Like 2