Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

32 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

https://x.com/allbrightnfl/status/1694471786468090319?s=46&t=Iaw8Du_3OySbBoPz5I7GNA

Ben has a very good finger on the pulse of the league. This tweet is oddly specific. 

With Lance's current salary, no way would I trade anything of value unless San Fran is picking up a big part of the tab this year and next.

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

With Lance's current salary, no way would I trade anything of value unless San Fran is picking up a big part of the tab this year and next.

If I’m reading OTC correctly? Lance’s 2023 cap hit for the team trading for him is ~$1M, while his 2024 cap hit is ~$5M. His signing bonus and 2023 roster bonus would stay on SF’s books.

To go off of Allbright’s gut, if the Vikings sent Wonnum or Jones back to SF, they’d actually create cap space. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

I think Lance might be a smart acquisition for the right price. I could see him develop into a productive pro in the O'Connell/McShay offense rather than the Shanahan offense.  He may or may not be a starter,  but he has more raw talent than Mullens.

Shanahan, for all his "genius" (I have never been sold on Shanahan as a developer of talent), never had much patience with Lance. 

Remember, he won the starting job last season. Yet, when he broke his ankle, Shanahan gave up on him, in my opinion.  They should have traded him in the off season.

• Like 1

I don’t think the 49ers gave up on Lance as much as they got lucky with Brock Purdy. And when you have two 23 year old QBs, you have to pick one to develop. 

And while Lance certainly has more physical skill than Purdy, Purdy seems like more of a natural fit for Shanahan. Plus, Purdy won over the locker room last season. 

Lance needs a fresh start, and for minimal draft capital, the Vikings are about as perfect as a situation for Lance as he could probably find. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sad People said:

I dont want anything to do with Trey Lance. Sending a pick and a player to me seems too expensive. Only way id do it is if were sending a 6th or 7th back for Lance straight up.

I'm with Semper on throwing a guy like Wonnum into the deal.  As I indicated in another post, he's in the last year of his deal anyway and won't be getting an extension, so there's no real big loss there.  I don't think throwing a player in is too expensive when that player is expendable, like Wonnum is.  He's JAG. 

For all the issues that Lance has had, he's still only 23 yrs old.  His problem has been lack of reps (dating back even to his NDSU days)...and they'd have 2 yrs to figure out what they'd have in him. 

Edited by swede700

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Trey Lance is supposed to play in the 3rd preseason game. If SF wants to move him, the live reps are good, but you lose all compensation if he gets injured.

What would you do? Play Lance or sit him?

From what I saw, once Darnold was named the backup, Lance didn't even practice after that.  So, if I were the 49ers, I'd sit him and play Darnold and Brandon Allen (the 4th QB and actually the oldest QB on the roster at 30)  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm with Semper on throwing a guy like Wonnum into the deal.  As I indicated in another post, he's in the last year of his deal anyway and won't be getting an extension, so there's no real big loss there.  I don't think throwing a player in is too expensive when that player is expendable, like Wonnum is.  He's JAG. 

For all the issues that Lance has had, he's still only 23 yrs old.  His problem has been lack of reps (dating back even to his NDSU days)...and they'd have 2 yrs to figure out what they'd have in him. 

To me it doesnt matter if hes a JAG or not, its still an over payment, imo. Trading for Lance shouldnt require us to send a player back and or a higher pick when his value is at an all time low right now after he couldnt even win a backup role in probably the most QB friendly system in the league. And thats after losing his starting job to a 7th round rookie.

It just doesent make any sense to me to add players and pick swaps to the trade when it isnt needed. To me its just adding pieces to the trade for **** and giggles.

Now itd be slightly different for me if were getting the better pick in the pick swap if a defensive player was included. Then sure id get it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

From what I saw, once Darnold was named the backup, Lance didn't even practice after that.  

Shanahan gave him th day off to "clear his head," after seeing how he reacted to the news. 

Via NFL.com, Shanahan explained that he decided to give Lance the day off after “watching how Trey was when we talked.” Shanahan determined it would be “better to, ‘Hey, take the day off, clear your head some, we’ll talk later in the afternoon and get you back in there tomorrow.’”

Shanahan said, per KNBR.com, that he wants Lance to stay with the team.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kyle-shanahan-gave-trey-lance-the-day-off-after-conversation-about-depth-chart

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Shanahan gave him th day off to "clear his head," after seeing how he reacted to the news. 

Via NFL.com, Shanahan explained that he decided to give Lance the day off after “watching how Trey was when we talked.” Shanahan determined it would be “better to, ‘Hey, take the day off, clear your head some, we’ll talk later in the afternoon and get you back in there tomorrow.’”

Shanahan said, per KNBR.com, that he wants Lance to stay with the team.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kyle-shanahan-gave-trey-lance-the-day-off-after-conversation-about-depth-chart

Of course he says he wants him to stay with the team.  He probably does.  But whether that makes any sense for the team or him, that's a different story.

• Like 1