Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

I can't say I expected that Metellus would be extended (I believe I said quite the opposite just a month or 2 ago), however, I'm glad for him.  This could be in anticipation that Harry is just going to walk away, either after this year or the next, as he apparently could do (as was indicated in Alec Lewis' article on him). 

He's also apparently already secured his career after football as Flores' right-hand man since he was doing almost as much coaching of the defense as Flores was.  🤣

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d rather keep good players than get a pick outside of the top 100. 

I generally agree, but there are diminishing returns when there's a finite amount of a) cap space and b) touches to go around. Can you justify keeping Osborn on a low WR 2 contract after drafting Addison, making Hockenson one of the highest paid players at his position, and presumably giving JJ the largest non-QB deal in NFL history? Maybe you can, but I do see the value of picking up draft capital and spending that money on other weaknesses that raise the floor of the roster after spending so much on high ceiling/top of the roster players at the same positions.

EDIT: I've also got faith in McCardell developing Nailor as a replacement. It's an interesting conversation. I wouldn't be upset with either direction.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

This could be in anticipation that Harry is just going to walk away, either after this year or the next, as he apparently could do (as was indicated in Alec Lewis' article on him). 

Hopefully he has so much fun playing and producing in Flores' defense this year they both stick around for an encore.

• Like 2

As was evident from the Christian Kirk situation from a couple of years ago, Osborn can probably make significantly more money elsewhere.  He would be doing himself a disservice financially to stay here and remain the 4th option receiving when he likely could make top-2 end money elsewhere in the free agency market.  He won't get Mike Evans, Michael Pittman, or Tyler Boyd money, but I have no doubts that he can probably get a level or 2 below them.  He won't get that here because there's not enough money or targets to go around.   

• Like 4

I’d love to keep KJ around on a deal that does right by him and the team. I don’t think that’s going to happen though. If it does, I’d take that over the comp pick any day. But as others have pointed out, the finances for team and player just don’t seem to point to that conclusion. So I hope he has a career year and cashes in. Unless we get him at a significant discount of market value. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

48 players were Day 3 draft picks by the Vikings from 2015 to 2020.

Josh Metellus and Stefon Diggs are the only 2 players from this group of 48 to earn an extension from Minnesota before their rookie contract was due to expire.

TheVikingAge.com

Osborn and Brandel could make that list

• Like 1