Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Not sure I see Chase surpassing Jefferson. 

I think it’s really going to depend on what CeeDee Lamb gets. I do agree that a contract with Chase is unlikely to happen until next year, and who knows how that might impact things. Especially if we see another significant bump in the salary cap. 

I think CeeDee Lamb’s floor for a new deal is a $32M AAV contract. If it’s more than that, say closer to $34M, then it could get interesting as to where Chase’s deal lands. 

32-33M for Lamb sounds about right. 

I do think Chase gets a higher APY than JJ, but the % of the cap figure will be roughly the same. It'll just be due to the increased in the cap. 

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

I do think Chase gets a higher APY than JJ, but the % of the cap figure will be roughly the same. It'll just be due to the increased in the cap. 

That's going to be ROUGH paying a QB and WR that kind of money. 

If/When McCarthy hits, we'll be in the same boat. 😳

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

One caveat with Chase, in my opinion, is what Cincinnati ultimately does with Higgins. Could Chase take a slight “discount” to make sure Higgins stays? 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

One caveat with Chase, in my opinion, is what Cincinnati ultimately does with Higgins. Could Chase take a slight “discount” to make sure Higgins stays? 

I think Cincinnati is preparing for one of the guys they recently drafted to take over for Higgins, although I don't trust either one to have nearly the same impact. 

They are more likely to replace Tyler Boyd than Tee Higgins.

I think Chase gets his deal and Cincy drafts another WR early in this upcoming draft.

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The issue I have with that is the same issue I have with what the Dolphins just did. I think it's irresponsible to pay 2 WRs big money. You can pay one, but you can't pay both. It's the same issue that the Vikings may eventually have when Addison is up. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Pay good players

That's not what I'm saying.  I have no issue with paying good players...but, as I believe you have even indicated in the past in regards to certain Vikings' players, it's about roster allocation.  If you're paying 2 WRs $25M+, you're paying over 20% of your cap to 2 players...and not to mention that they also have to pay their QB, whose likely going to take up nearly 20% on his own.  That's 40% of your cap to 3 players.   That's irresponsible as far as I'm concerned.  I'm sure it can be structured to not take up 40% in any given year, but it's really putting you in a tricky tap dance that will affect the talent on other parts of your team.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Who else are they going to pay? 

Allocation of resources is important when there’s areas that those resources need to be allocated to. The 3 best players on the Bengals’ roster are Burrow, Chase, and Higgins. And there’s really no one of note coming up behind them that’s going to require a big deal. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Who else are they going to pay? 

Allocation of resources is important when there’s areas that those resources need to be allocated to. The 3 best players on the Bengals’ roster are Burrow, Chase, and Higgins. And there’s really no one of note coming up behind them that’s going to require a big deal. 

What about free agency?  It's not simply just about resigning your own players, it's also about improving other areas of your roster.  In the Dolphins' case, they now have limited amounts of money to improve their defensive talent in the future.  If they hit on most, if not all, their defensive draft picks, great, but if it goes south, they now have a limited ability to change that (they're already projected to be over the cap in 2025), which is going to impact their overall team success.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me about either one of them, but the Vikings may likely have to encounter that same situation. At least that won't happen until 2027. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, swede700 said:

Daxton hill ~31 pick in the 2022 NFL draft and Lewis Cine #32 pick in the 2022 NFL draft both miss out on their teams list with each team sending 3(!) to the top 32 safetys in the NFL.