Forge's TCMD - 49ers

Forge

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

Looking at possible edge guy in round 2, maybe trading up. I believe carter, Hubbard, sweat are all available. Could also look at long term tackle replacement with Miller. Really liking Hubbard's fit on the line, but he may not be the true monster pass rusher

Would you put Hubbard at SAM?  He doesn't have the suddenness to play LEO and this team really needs a stud edge player to put pressure on the QB. Unless you're getting really good compensation I would hang tight and hope someone like Sweat drops to pick 59.

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Looking at possible edge guy in round 2, maybe trading up. I believe carter, Hubbard, sweat are all available. Could also look at long term tackle replacement with Miller. Really liking Hubbard's fit on the line, but he may not be the true monster pass rusher

I would wait and hope Sweat falls to our spot. He has the intangibles to be a freak pass rusher in the NFL. Was compared to Clowney when he was coming out of high school never lived up to that at FSU can still do that in the NFL

I'm tempted to see if I can trade Brown for a pick in the second and use that pick on Miller. Brown is very good, and it's likely that Miller wouldn't be that good, but at the same time, we appear reticent to give him a long term deal so far. Miller could come in, has the athleticism to potentially move to LT, and would be under a rookie deal for the next 4 years. 

No particular order of guys I may be looking at toward the end of round 2 or a possible trade up (Denver is intersted in moving down from 50). 

Kolton Miller

Josh Sweat

Lorenzo Carter

Michael Gallup

We are up to about pick 49/50, so our pick is coming soon. Several people have picks on the block right now ahead of us. Miller was just drafted, and Hubbard is also gone. That leaves us with 

Carter  or Sweat as picks that make sense. There are some other quality guys available as well, but those would be the most logical, I am thinking. 

I feel Sweat offers a bit more as a rusher while Carter is the more complete player. I just wish Sweat had a better get-off and wasn't always the last guy to react to the snap so i think i would go Carter who i feel is better suited at SAM than Sweat while if you want them to play LEO i probably lean toward Sweat.

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I feel Sweat offers a bit more as a rusher while Carter is the more complete player. I just wish Sweat had a better get-off and wasn't always the last guy to react to the snap so i think i would go Carter who i feel is better suited at SAM than Sweat while if you want them to play LEO i probably lean toward Sweat.

I need one of each lol but you pretty much nailed what I was thinking too and why I'm having a hard time deciding lol

Just now, Forge said:

I need one of each lol but you pretty much nailed what I was thinking too and why I'm having a hard time deciding lol

I feel Carter right now is a better SAM than Sweat a LEO but the upside with Sweat is a little higher altough his knee worries me some. Wish both had done the 3 cone since that to me is the most important measurement drill for edge rushers.

2 hours ago, Justone2 said:

I feel Carter right now is a better SAM than Sweat a LEO but the upside with Sweat is a little higher altough his knee worries me some. Wish both had done the 3 cone since that to me is the most important measurement drill for edge rushers.

@Forge I feel like there are enough SAM options in this draft, where missing on Carter won't hurt but the LEO position is a huge need the options in this draft are fairly limited. Sweat is the better option to take care of that need and you can get a Nwosu, Fred Warner,  Jerome Baker, Shaquem or maybe Carter falls to us early in the 3rd and you get both. 

Just now, MasherSF said:

@Forge I feel like there are enough SAM options in this draft, where missing on Carter won't hurt but the LEO position is a huge need the options in this draft are fairly limited. Sweat is the better option to take care of that need and you can get a Nwosu, Fred Warner,  Jerome Baker, Shaquem or maybe Carter falls to us early in the 3rd and you get both. 

I also signed Corey Nelson for the sam spot earlier in FA. Not a huge addition, but he's shown some decent coverage ability and offers some depth.. Right now at the SAM spot,  I have a lot of guys that are meh starters, but may be able to get the job done. 

Watson - Corey Nelson - Pita all look to be at the SAM spot. Technically, if I grab a MLB somewhere (I really like Josey Jewell in rounds 3/4 - HIgh IQ and motor, smart, could work well in zone coverages which our linebackers have been horrendous at), I could move Anthony Hitchens over to SAM some. Not an ideal fit, obviously, but early downs would be hard to run on us. 

Also, Marsh and Kikaha (got him through trade) have experience at SAM, though I'd like to concentrate both of them at the DE position in rotation. 

Sweat worries me a little bit...I get a distinct Barkevious Mingo vibe from him sometimes, and the knee seems like it could blow up at any time, but the athletic LEOs in this draft are crazy limited. 

Thanks for the insight guys. Usually I don't put up the war rooms for these things, but I'm glad I did this time. Been a lot of fun getting insight from everyone. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I also signed Corey Nelson for the sam spot earlier in FA. Not a huge addition, but he's shown some decent coverage ability and offers some depth.. Right now at the SAM spot,  I have a lot of guys that are meh starters, but may be able to get the job done. 

Watson - Corey Nelson - Pita all look to be at the SAM spot. Technically, if I grab a MLB somewhere (I really like Josey Jewell in rounds 3/4 - HIgh IQ and motor, smart, could work well in zone coverages which our linebackers have been horrendous at), I could move Anthony Hitchens over to SAM some. Not an ideal fit, obviously, but early downs would be hard to run on us. 

Also, Marsh and Kikaha (got him through trade) have experience at SAM, though I'd like to concentrate both of them at the DE position in rotation. 

Sweat worries me a little bit...I get a distinct Barkevious Mingo vibe from him sometimes, and the knee seems like it could blow up at any time, but the athletic LEOs in this draft are crazy limited. 

Thanks for the insight guys. Usually I don't put up the war rooms for these things, but I'm glad I did this time. Been a lot of fun getting insight from everyone. 

Good to know. I had an account on here a while back. Couldn't remember my creds when someone sent me a mock from here. Created a new one and saw this thread. Got intrigued again. I like what Marsh was able to bring to the team late last year. Also, can't forget that know Solly has a full offseason to get acclimated and work out which he didn't. Another LEO option if he hasn't been taken yet is Hercules Mata'afa if you choose to go the Carter route. A late MLB with High IQ and motor too is Nick DeLuca from NDSU. Saw him back when I was watching tape of Wentz. Like that guy a lot. 

Carter is off the board. 

So we still have Sweat, and honestly, Dorance Armstrong. I know that Y2 isn't a fan of Armstrong, but at this point, getting a little barren for potential impact guys at the LEO spot in the first year 

Archived