Alex Smith traded......

brooks1957

Assuming Darnold is waiting in the wings (hopefully for at least a year) - 

Bradford would be fine - assuming his knees hold up.  That's a big IF, but I could see it.  Ditto to Bridgewater really - one knee in his case.

McCarron I dunno - he played really well in limited duty in 2015, but with the new OC, it's no longer Hugh's offense right?  

No thank to Tyrod, or Flash Keenum 

I think Cousins would price out, so no to him I'm guessing.  

A trade for a number two somewhere might be possible, though i don't see anyone at this time.  

Then there's Blake.  I dunno why so many are down on the guy, he's only 25 and played (to my novice fans eye anyway) some good football against Pittsburgh and NE - away games both.  He's big, got enough arm to make the throws in weather, and has plenty of room to improve.  

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.  

We've gotta go after Bradford or McCarron. Unfortunately, Alex Smith's disdainful comment about going to the 1-31 Browns on the recent radio interview is how every FA under the sun is going to view coming to this team, so we'll probably end up with the last dance partner (so someone like Fitzpatrick)

42 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

We've gotta go after Bradford or McCarron. Unfortunately, Alex Smith's disdainful comment about going to the 1-31 Browns on the recent radio interview is how every FA under the sun is going to view coming to this team, so we'll probably end up with the last dance partner (so someone like Fitzpatrick)

Anyone coming here is doing so for an opportunity to start (like McCarron or Bradford perhaps) or a check.

Anyone who truly wants to compete and try to play for something other than a check isn’t giving us the time of day.

If I’m Dorsey I’m going to be careful with the contracts I hand out this off-season. We don’t need another trip down the path Ray Farmer took us on.

23 minutes ago, pscottdai said:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/browns_tried_to_trade_for_alex.html#incart_river_index

So we supposedly tried to trade for him at least.

(probably missed this posted elsewhere - sorry)

It doesn’t make sense for them to trade him within the conference where he could theoretically stand in their way of a playoff spot in the future.

Smith didn’t seem keen on the idea either(understandably) and crapping on him wouldn’t have been a good look for the franchise with potential free agents. (“You better be careful signing with KC, they may ship you off to Cleveland like they did Alex Smith.”)

10 hours ago, Mind Character said:

QBs that may be available:

AJ Mccaron,

Nick Foles,

Case Keenum,

Sam Bradford,

Teddy Bridgewater,

Mike Glennon,

Derek Anderson,

Kirk Cousins,

Tyrod Taylor,

Josh Mccown

Blake Bortles

Ryan Tannehill

---------------------------

The price on Kirk Cousins might be too insane.

Give me Mccaron, Mccown, Bradford, Keenum or anyone that can let our rookie QB sit on the bench the entire year.

His price is going to be insane cause you have never seen a top10-ish QB ever hit the market when they are in their prime. I can’t think of a legit QB like Cousins hitting the market like this. It’s always been they are past their prime are still an unknown. 

Don't be too down on the Tryod Taylor bandwagon.  Outside of Cousins, he may be the best option at QB.  His numbers are not that bad.  Now as far as leadership and how he would mentor two young QBs, I have no idea.  But of the remaining options, I think he gives the Browns the best chance to win at QB.

51 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Anyone coming here is doing so for an opportunity to start (like McCarron or Bradford perhaps) or a check.

Anyone who truly wants to compete and try to play for something other than a check isn’t giving us the time of day.

If I’m Dorsey I’m going to be careful with the contracts I hand out this off-season. We don’t need another trip down the path Ray Farmer took us on.

ah yeah, except for dorsey's reputation doesnt exactly scream careful with contracts
esp since htat was one of the reasons he got fired from his last job

2 minutes ago, mistakey said:

ah yeah, except for dorsey's reputation doesnt exactly scream careful with contracts
esp since htat was one of the reasons he got fired from his last job

Unfortunately right now he doesn't scream intelligence either. It's BRUTAL right now listening to him, and based off of the way he handles contracts, I'm not his biggest believer either.

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Unfortunately right now he doesn't scream intelligence either. It's BRUTAL right now listening to him, and based off of the way he handles contracts, I'm not his biggest believer either.

Hopefully he’s some sort of idiot savant when it comes to football.

I feel certain he’s halfway there either way.

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'm with ya. If we would so happen to sign Cousins I wouldn't draft a QB at all, I'd probably trade down with both picks. Maybe 1 to 5 with Denver and 4 to 6 with the jets. Pick up whatever we can and still get 2 of the 3 top non QB prospects. Assuming the Colts don't beat us to the punch.

Yep. If we get Cousins I’m definitely at least trading out of that #1 pick. Hopefully we can keep those 1st coming so we have future ammo to get a qb later in the years. 

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Can they start? Sure.

Can they win now though? Because that’s a concern, at least to Hue, Haslam and a lot of casual fans.

Right now I’m probably looking at a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick who can play half a season and mentor the youngsters. I’m not certain a guy like McCarron is much better and Fitz knows what he is at this point, McCarron is wanting a legitimate shot at starting.

Yeah that’s why I personally want them to sit a year. But I also personally feel either of the big three could win more games than Kizer. 

Btw I’ve been thinking we’ll probably end up with Fitzpatrick. He’s not a bad option as a back up that can start for now type. Hopefully Dorsey can do this right. 

Archived