Musing From Broncos Training Camp

AnAngryAmerican

I think it does come down to Taylor or Raymond barring injury to any other wideout. Personally, I'd rather have Raymond due to KR and if we sustain any injuries to our slot receivers. I could see him getting short passes and turning on the jets. Never been a fan of Taylor, so there's that.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

With Orion Stewart and Carter flashing they likely don't help this year but with Parks and Simmons the chances of TJ Ward getting extended seem ultra slim.   Given where he is at mileage wise with his skill profile that's likely another blessing to us. 

Jamal Carter was their top UDFA priority. He's gonna make the team. They shouldn't extend Ward. It's not worth it. The money is going to be needed elsewhere in time.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

With Orion Stewart and Carter flashing they likely don't help this year but with Parks and Simmons the chances of TJ Ward getting extended seem ultra slim.   Given where he is at mileage wise with his skill profile that's likely another blessing to us. 

Ward's fate was sealed when we drafted the two safeties last year and extended Darian Stewart. There was some talk about us moving Stewart to SS and letting Simmons take over the center field role next year. I'd be fine with that. I think Ward will end up back in Cleveland.

22 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Ward's fate was sealed when we draft the two safeties last year and extended Darian Stewart. There was some talk about us moving Stewart to SS and letting Simmons take over the center field role next year. I'd be fine with that. I think Ward will end up back in Cleveland.

Agreed, I've felt that way since even before 2016 season that we should let Ward walk - but got a lot of replies on his leadership being too valuable to lose.  The issue is that leadership is great when you have the skills to back it up, but if you are a liability, it's not worth it.  Ward's skillset worked great in a scheme where there were no other holes, his weaknesses in pass coverage were minimized and masked, and his ability as an in-the-box enforcer were played up - but even when we signed him, he was known to be great in run support and enforcement as a hitter, but weaker in pass coverage - and once he slowed even a half-step, more struggles would come.   Once we became less than above-average to elite across the entire DL (NT being the only average area),  Ward's limitations in pass coverage were really exposed last year.   But I'd venture you'd still hear about what he brings to the team, and how much we'd miss him.   That no doubt fuelled the extension rumours during OTA's - I was happy to see Elway said the right things, but didn't bite.   Now he gets the PR cover to let Ward go, without having to suffer too much PR backlash (not that he cares, his power is safe, but let's face it, if you can make a smart business decision with no drama, always better than the correct business decision with hard feelings amongst the player base).

I've always felt Talib meant much more to this team and especially to No Fly Zone than Ward ever did. I think our safeties we drafted last year will do just fine starting back there. I am scared when Talib leaves.. I can't quite seem to trust Roby enough, hopefully this year he can prove doubters (probably me) wrong.

13 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I've always felt Talib meant much more to this team and especially to No Fly Zone than Ward ever did. I think our safeties we drafted last year will do just fine starting back there. I am scared when Talib leaves.. I can't quite seem to trust Roby enough, hopefully this year he can prove doubters (probably me) wrong.

It's just the perfect mix of personalities and talent back there man. God it's been a great three years watching those guys. But yeah I think Ward being allowed to walk is a lock. If Talib plays at a high level again this year I definitely think you pay him again next year. 

Re: Talib as long as he plays at this level no-brainer to keep.  Beauty of the deal Elway got is that we have 2 more years left at 11M & 8M and only 1M dead money for his age 32 and 33 season.  We can play it year to year which is smart at that age.  

Elway is still a master of the smart contract - which is why extending Ward no matter the public push in OTA's never made much sense.  But now he has little to no controversy with that call.  

And now Crick goes down.....he's honestly JAG but on our DL he's probably one of our top 3.   Passing on Jaye Howard at min-wage was awful, but it's like that one decision is going to really bite us hard.  Whether or not he's ready, I guess we'll be seeing a lot of UDFA Shakir Soto this week and next.   Hope his 2H flash was legit last week, he certainly stood out.

Troy Renck 

#Broncos Crick leaving by cart. Hate to see this. Hurt leg. Grimaced in pain when tried to put weight on it @DenverChannel

20 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Assuming Vance Walker is still alive and can walk, might be worth bringing in at this point. 

I've been wondering for months now why that hasn't happened. I understand they wanted to give Adam Gotsis a chance to live up to his physical potential but if the other night was any indication that's not going to happen anytime soon. I was pretty surprised because reports out of camp practices were that he was playing well and then in the game he got blown off the line on virtually every snap. 

20 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Seriously. I liked what he brought to the table as a run defender.

Ayy is dat Pot Roast guy still chubby and alive too?

Pot Roast is more like full roast right now.  He's massive from the last pic I saw last season.  He's been concentrating on coaching so liklely nowhere even close to football shape.

Problem is if you aren't in TC, the likelihood guys those size are even close to playing shape is pretty low.

I want to say a guy like Tyson Jackson would make a ton of sense, but Crick's injury also leaves a hole at that nickel RE spot, where Crick was mostly very good last year and continued to flash vs. the Bears. Ideally, that replacement is DeMarcus Walker of course. 

Archived