Musing From Broncos Training Camp

AnAngryAmerican

I went down to Dove Valley for training camp today and will be going again tomorrow (Sunday) morning when the players will be in full pads and practice will be "live." Here are some things I noticed today, let me know if there is something you would like me to focus on tomorrow. 

• I read that Paxton "won" the first two days of practice but to me Trevor looked like the better QB today. Lynch is still adapting to the pro game, he is very prone to take off and run before, in my opinion, he needs to. Trevor made some real nice throws downfield today and, as we all know, he is well ahead of Lynch in the mental side of the game. 
  • It's very early, but I might have been wrong on Garrett Bolles, he looked good today. He's not going to be the second coming of Gary Zimmerman or even Ryan Clady, but it looks like he'll be a solid LT. He is light years better than Ty Sambrailo and that is probably making Bolles look better than he actually is, but he's the clear-cut #1 LT on the team. 
  • Bennie Fowler is the leader for the #3 WR. Carlos Henderson looks confused and he has mental lapses that lead to drops. Again it's early and I was excited about Carlos but he sure didn't impress me today. Hopefully it's not another case of Elway missing on an early round pick. 
  • Von Miller is pretty good. He abused Ty all day, I actually felt bad for Ty
  • Isiah McKenzie is the real deal as a PR. I heard that Vance said he won't be used as a KR and that that job is between Cody Latimer and Carlos Henderson. McKenzie is going to be fun to watch, he's just electric. 
  • DeAngelo Henderson is a bowling ball, looks like MJD, he looks good for a late round rookie. CJ is your starting RB, he looked good today and I've heard he's looked good the first two days. 
  • Eric Studesville spent almost the entire day working with Jamaal Charles, the former-Chief was getting a lot of one-on-one coaching. Our coaches are very hands-on, especially the position coaches. Vance even gets into the mix with the players, demonstrating technique and teaching.  

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It's very early, but I might have been wrong on Garrett Bolles, he looked good today. He's not going to be the second coming of Gary Zimmerman or even Ryan Clady, but it looks like he'll be a solid LT. He is light years better than Ty Sambrailo and that is probably making Bolles look better than he actually is, but he's the clear-cut #1 LT on the team

That's good, because I think that Elway drafted him out of fear (at least partially). He may have envisioned a season with Sambrailo and/or Stephenson at LT (which would be scary). 

Can DeMarcus Walker contribute as a Barrett replacement vs. the run in the first two weeks? If they don't bring in an OLB, that guy simply isn't on the roster right now at that position, sounds like they're looking into the possibility already. 

3 hours ago, champ11 said:

Been saying McKenzie island is the place to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to hear your views AAA

You can tell McKenzie is beloved by his teammates from Von and the No Fly Zone down. Really excited to have a potential return threat again. 

18 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

You can tell McKenzie is beloved by his teammates from Von and the No Fly Zone down. Really excited to have a potential return threat again. 

He just looks like a natural ball player. I think he will have good ball security based on what I've seen 

Anybody else think its time to just throw Paxton into the fire and see if he can swim. May be easier said than done considering this team doesnt tolerate 'lost' or 'development' seasons especially with the window the defense provides for the next 2-3 years. Cant afford to have a Lynch development season and go 6-10.

42 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Anybody else think its time to just throw Paxton into the fire and see if he can swim. May be easier said than done considering this team doesnt tolerate 'lost' or 'development' seasons especially with the window the defense provides for the next 2-3 years. Cant afford to have a Lynch development season and go 6-10.

Might as well I guess. Training camp thus far has done nothing to sway my opinion that Chad Kelly has the biggest potential out of all the QBs on our roster. I think if he was healthy right now, he'd be leading the group to be our starter this year.

19 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Might as well I guess. Training camp thus far has done nothing to sway my opinion that Chad Kelly has the biggest potential out of all the QBs on our roster. I think if he was healthy right now, he'd be leading the group to be our starter this year.

I guess well see next year but you have to find out what you have with Lynch now, not later to know if you need to continue with him next year or not. He cant just stay in flux because the team may lose some games--you need an answer with him to know how to handle next offseason.

19 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I'm starting to come around to this being the best option too. One, the constant back-and-forth between who's "winning" which day at camp is a distraction from the larger issue - that neither is really NFL starting QB material. In light of this, and given that he has a higher ceiling and is going to gain more from playing in live action that running second-team / scout team reps in practice, we just need to go with Paxton for a full 16 games and find out what we have. Trevor is almost exactly what you want in a backup anyway, a safe option who won't win games for you but also likely won't make any huge mistakes to lose them. 

Came to the forum to check on how everyone was doing and you all had moved! I like the new space. 

As for camp, I can only listen to the fan/altitude podcasts and the coaches interviews but it sounds like the QBs continue to underwhelm (though paxton is making progress in accordance with the "2-3 years away" that we all knew he was on draft night), Boles is a mean sumbitch with a lot to learn, and the defense is looking like the best in the league.  Its a tough schedule the broncos have this season and though they will be improved over last year the record may not reflect that.

The biggest surprise to me so far has been the way the coaches have been talking about Todd Davis. Sounds like he has taken the next step and we may have some monsters at ILB

Man I hope that's the case with Davis, who just seemed a step slow all year. But I'm hesitant to buy the hype, as he received a lot of praise from defensive coaches last summer too. He definitely seems like one of those football players who does everything perfectly, above and beyond, from Monday-Saturday.

I'm still of the opinion that Siemian, with the reps and development, can lead us to the playoffs. We were a 9-7 team with him and he was injured and the offense was a mess. These guys aren't Tom Brady, but they might not have to be. Siemian still seems to have the steady consistency that, coupled with our defense, will lend itself to wins.

Lynch is so much more boom/bust. If we didn't have an elite defense, I would say just throw him out there and deal with whatever the season is/hope he grows for next year. Siemian gives us a better chance to win games, Lynch gives us a better chance at big time plays. Given that, I'd rather have Siemian personally. Lynch is probably better served with another season on the bench. It does appear he's strengthened some parts of his game, but he's still struggling.

I'm not surprised that Henderson is struggling. He came from an offense where there was no playbook. He was also playing garbage competition. He's got talent, but his ascension was not going to be immediate. McKenzie and Bolles I am very surprised by. All indications are that Bolles has done quite well. I'll be happy to eat crow if that continues. Same with McKenzie. It sounds like even today he's ahead of Henderson and some of the incumbents. His speed would certainly be a welcome asset.

Archived