This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Preseason should be a judged on a player to player basis and not a team basis. Who on the Lions played poorly? Are they going to start or be major contributors? Frankly doesn't matter if a bunch of 2s and 3s get their ***** kicked. Preseason Wins/Losses mean less than nothing.

Well, it does matter to some degree as it gives an indication of their depth.............so if their 2's and 3's get their butts kicked, maybe our 2's and 3's are better.

This can be important later in the season when teams are somewhat beaten up and the 2's and 3's are sprinkled in there with the normal starters. If your WR 4 is significantly better than their DB4 it makes a difference. If your 6th and 7th O linemen are in and not that much worse than when you have your starting 5, that makes a difference.....and so on.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Their secondary is going to be pretty bad again if Ennis/Arnold dont step up. Already lost one of their main reinforcements in Moseley.

Its all about if Goff can continue carrying them. They got a real nice OL so its really just on him to make the throws.

Shouldnt be much of a gap between GB and them this year.

I agree that DET and GB should be pretty evenly matched this season.

We already know who Goff is.  He is a pretty good QB when protected, and a pretty bad QB when he's not.

DET's improvement will revolve around whether they hit on Arnold and/or Rakestraw at CB.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

My question is, why would the staff have any comfort in thinking Clifford could get them out of a game, much less win one? 

If you are going to gamble with no real backup quarterback, gamble with the one with some potential upside. 

There is where you are jumping ahead of the staff.  We don't know that they don't think he can get them out of the game, or not.  So far he is 1 for 1 for 37 yards in regular season play.  In college he was ~2.8TD: 1 INT and is the all-time leading passer for Penn State with 10k and change yards.  In the preseason game he was 10/19 for 111 yards, and as good old Andy Herman pointed out, 3 of the incompletions were throwaways to set up the FG at the end of the half so that there was no time remaining.  Add two passes that Melton probably should have come up with, and a pass to Dubose that would have been a big gain, but he was held.  This was a pretty solid game for Clifford.  

As for INTs in practice, so what? Aaron Rodgers threw a ton of INTs in practice, and he almost never threw them in games.  That is where you figure out what throws you can make to which receiver, and build confidence with them.  

It may turn out that Clifford is not the QB2, he may get cut.  But it seems that there was a group of posters here that had a really hateful boner for Clifford since he was at Penn State.  All I have seen from him is a competent back-up QB.  I don't think a team is going to win because of him, but I haven't seen him play losing football since he has been in Green Bay.  The team would have to step it up if he comes in, and that is fine for a back-up when you have a young, good starter.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This could have been due to the low expectations as a team last year with Love being a first-year starter. The expectations this year are through the roof.

Fair point on where they were drafted. 

I've been on record saying get a vet back-up and put Pratt on the practice squad. I'd take Tannehill if we could get him cheap enough. 

If we have heightened expectations weve known that since the end of the season and the only thing we did to address the position is a 7th round guy. That just doesnt scream worried to me.

Maybe the go get Tannehill tomorrow and we cut both the young guns. But i doubt it, think theyll roll with Clifford gun to my head.

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If we have heightened expectations weve known that since the end of the season and the only thing we did to address the position is a 7th round guy. That just doesnt scream worried to me.

Maybe the go get Tannehill tomorrow and we cut both the young guns. But i doubt it, think theyll roll with Clifford gun to my head.

Hope we don't live to regret it. 

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It may turn out that Clifford is not the QB2, he may get cut.  But it seems that there was a group of posters here that had a really hateful boner for Clifford since he was at Penn State.  All I have seen from him is a competent back-up QB.  I don't think a team is going to win because of him, but I haven't seen him play losing football since he has been in Green Bay.  The team would have to step it up if he comes in, and that is fine for a back-up when you have a young, good starter.

Yep.  Most of the anti-Clifford talk stems from a very vocal group dedicated to bashing him since the day he was drafted.  As someone who knew nothing about him, he's performed above my expectations.  That being said, that outside fade Pratt threw this week is a ball I never expect to see from Clifford.

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

There is where you are jumping ahead of the staff.  We don't know that they don't think he can get them out of the game, or not.  

Two things! 

1. This is my parade, and you will not rain on it! 😁

2. I don't need to be a talent evaluator to be able to see Clifford doesn't have it and never will. He's destined for a couple of teams practice squad and then figuring out what he wants to be when he grows up. 

3. BONUS thing. I'd love for Clifford to prove me wrong, but I hope he never gets a chance to prove me right in green and gold. 

38 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Well, it does matter to some degree as it gives an indication of their depth.............so if their 2's and 3's get their butts kicked, maybe our 2's and 3's are better.

This can be important later in the season when teams are somewhat beaten up and the 2's and 3's are sprinkled in there with the normal starters. If your WR 4 is significantly better than their DB4 it makes a difference. If your 6th and 7th O linemen are in and not that much worse than when you have your starting 5, that makes a difference.....and so on.

It also kind of matters how they are getting their butts kicked.  I don't recall the season, it was early 2010s I think, where our second string OL was completely inept.  We couldn't get a good read on our back-up QBs, WR battles were a question mark, and the RBs stunk too.  Was Myles White open? I don't know, the left turnstile and the right barn door let up immediate pressure.  That is a whole lot different than if they had a QB throwing everything 4 yards behind, or WRs that couldn't catch.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yep.  Most of the anti-Clifford talk stems from a very vocal group dedicated to bashing him since the day he was drafted.  As someone who knew nothing about him, he's performed above my expectations.  That being said, that outside fade Pratt threw this week is a ball I never expect to see from Clifford.

You just, unwittingly reinforced my point. Clifford has limitations which won't allow him to get to the level he needs to get to. 

I have nothing against the kid. He was trashed on this site when he was drafted. I was not a part of that because I didn't know a thing about him. He doesn't pass the eye test for me when it comes to NFL quarterbacking. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

You just, unwittingly reinforced my point. Clifford has limitations which won't allow him to get to the level he needs to get to. 

I have nothing against the kid. He was trashed on this site when he was drafted. I was not a part of that because I didn't know a thing about him. He doesn't pass the eye test for me when it comes to NFL quarterbacking. 

I don't think I said what you think I said.

• Like 1

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I don't think I said what you think I said.

"That being said, that outside fade Pratt threw this week is a ball I never expect to see from Clifford."

Yeah, you kind of did. In essence you said Clifford can't make all the throws, which is a pretty accurate statement. 

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Just looked up some of the Lions injuries, ouch! There are very few ways to lose the preseason but stacking serious injuries is one. 

Yeah, it sucks to lose guys in preseason. I don't wish injury on anybody on any team. That is not to imply you or anybody else did.

I'd like to beat everybody at their best, so they don't have any excuses. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Hope we don't live to regret it. 

If Love goes down were as sunk as 90% of teams are when their main goes down. MLF was around Tannehill plenty so pretty telling hes not that eager to swoop him up.

But yeah. Lets hope for Loves health otherwise this season will be a bummer