For Fun!! Predict compensation for Kirk Cousins Tag & Trade deal & team.

aceinthehouse

19 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

Kirk plays on the tag for Denver in 2018  and Denver places the transition tag on Cousins in the off season to guarantee their right to match any offer in the 2019 off season. 

Transition tag requires either average of top ten of salaries at position or 120% of previous year's salary.

120% of $34.5M = $41.4M

Will the Broncos pay that?

19 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The players union files a grievance and it drags out though free agency and the draft

On what grounds? While it is stupid, the Redskins are perfectly within their rights to franchise tag Cousins.

17 hours ago, e16bball said:

Cousins and a 2018 5th to Denver for a 2018 3rd and a conditional 2019 5th round pick that could go as high as a 3rd depending on Cousins’s games played/yards passing. 

That's the best we could hope for.

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

On what grounds? While it is stupid, the Redskins are perfectly within their rights to franchise tag Cousins.

They can argue that the CBA states the Franchise Tag is a vehicle for extending a player not for trading him.  

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

Why would they not have argued that for the other franchised players that have been traded?

Its very unlikely to happen.  When the Packers shipped off that CB a few years back it was obvious they had no intention of signing him to a deal and there was no grievance filed.  However, that didn't include a possible $140 mil QB, and they weren't as contentious as Cousins and the Redskins appear to be.  

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They can argue that the CBA states the Franchise Tag is a vehicle for extending a player not for trading him.  

I believe it states that they cannot trade a player while under the tag. While that's the underlying intent, the wording doesn't really align with your interpretation.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Transition tag requires either average of top ten of salaries at position or 120% of previous year's salary.

120% of $34.5M = $41.4M

No...I think they will use it to guarantee their ability to match offers a Cousins receives in FA (2019). 

3 hours ago, Woz said:

They can argue that the tag was meant for the team to work out a LTD with the player and that it was meant as a way for the team to keep the player. Not get rid of him.

Now, the precedent has been set with Cassell a few years ago, so ultimately they will lose. But that doesn't mean they won't drag it out and cause as much pain as possible.

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Why would they not have argued that for the other franchised players that have been traded?

Very true. But since we're in rarified air and its a QB that is now on his 3rd franchise tag, plus the fact that the union has been pissed at the owners for the last 2 years, I wouldn't put it past them.

Now...I think they will still lose. I just think that they can use a grievance to slow things down and throw a monkey wrench into the works

I’m with Cooley here, Kirk will get traded for a 2nd round pick to one of the qb needy teams so they don’t have to get in a bidding war for his services in free agency in March. If the Redskins get a trade like this done, I’ll need to have a dry pair of boxers ready to change into just like when we signed London Fletcher.

16 hours ago, Woz said:

120% of $34.5M = $41.4M

Someone will give Cousins more than that in guaranteed money.

15 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Someone will give Cousins more than that in guaranteed money.

Not for one season. On a long term deal Cousins’ cap hit would likely be $20 million this year on a deal like Garapollo just signed.

Woz is saying if Kirk plays on the franchise tag this year and then the team transition tags him next year giants transition tag # would rise to $41 million.

Archived