2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

11 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'm trying to see the Packers' strategy here, I really am, but I just can't see it. Trading DR without at least a verbal agreement from a FA CB. Using valuable cap space by signing an aging TE. Signing a DL which isn't the biggest area of need. Help me somebody. What's the strategy here? Should I join HZ on the ledge?

It’s pretty simple really... it’s called letting the market set were you are going to go. GB could of easily liked a lot of the corners on the market, just not at the prices. So instead of signing a guy to only regret it later they are going to use it else where.

They sign Jimmy because they need a consistent threat in the middle of the field. They couldn’t sign him unless they did something at the WR position. Pretty much Jimmy and Jordy are the same at this point. Red zone targets that you can count on making tough catches. Difference... Jimmy is 2 years younger, 5/6 inches taller and his game is in the middle of the field not on the perimeter.

Wilkerson was just jumping on a risk free high reward player, regardless of position need.

Randall, also easy. They where shopping him even last year. They clearly didn’t want him. They got Kizer because young QB talent is hard to get and last year really freaked them out.

Its not some bigger plan it’s just looking at individual moments to get better and where that all takes you.

I wonder if the Packers cornerback plan goes something like this:

Plan A: Trumaine Johnson - FAILED

Plan B: Richard Sherman - FAILED

Plan C: Get Melvin @ ~ $5-$7m per. The very top corners are getting $8-$15m per year. I think he falls shy outside that range.

Also get Darby for one season is only $1m cap hit. I think he would be an ideal slot/nickle corner with the ability to play outside. Only 24, Has 4.38 speed and 41.5" vert and 6.94 3-cone. He would definitely add an injection of athleticism and speed in the middle. If the Eagles are trying to trade him I think we should be all over that. If he does well but we don't manage to re-sign him we should get a nice compensatory draft pick to replace the one we gave up for him. It makes too much sense especially with our CB situation.

Plan D: Darrelle Revis - He at least knows Pettine system. Plug and play. Highly experienced and not too old either. Need to swallow our pride over whatever misgivings we have with Revis.

Plan E: Draft Pick and coach up Waters/Pipkins/Donatello/Rollins/Hawkins/UDFAs. Cream rise to the top. Cross our fingers and pray.

40 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'm trying to see the Packers' strategy here, I really am, but I just can't see it. Trading DR without at least a verbal agreement from a FA CB. Using valuable cap space by signing an aging TE. Signing a DL which isn't the biggest area of need. Help me somebody. What's the strategy here? Should I join HZ on the ledge?

Yes

Archived