2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 minute ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

If we are going to run a classic 4 man front, we definitely need more DE types.  Right now we would have a lot of DT types and Perry, maybe Biegel and Odom as DE types? Maybe Lowry could make an Aaron Kampman kind of transition? I don't think Matthews or Fackrell would fare very well rushing from that position consistently.

Haven’t seen enough of Biegel to put him in the Kampman type, but I agree we need DE edge bada$$es to really be effective.

5 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

If we are going to run a classic 4 man front, we definitely need more DE types.  Right now we would have a lot of DT types and Perry, maybe Biegel and Odom as DE types? Maybe Lowry could make an Aaron Kampman kind of transition? I don't think Matthews or Fackrell would fare very well rushing from that position consistently.

[edit] I forgot about Reggie Gilbert.  He might be able to play at DE.

Your right. I'm putting all EDGE players in a different position. We have enough interior DL though. 

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Haven’t seen enough of Biegel to put him in the Kampman type, but I agree we need DE edge bada$$es to really be effective.

I compared Lowry to Kampman.  Kampman was an okay DT that got on the juice slimmed down and became a very good DE.  Possibly Lowry could make that kind of transition? Kampman was very good at DE, and it is unlikely, but a similar scenario nonetheless.  Biegel is listed at 234, slighter than both Matthews and Fackrell, I think he would have a rough time at end full time.  For reference KGB was listed at 249 and he was a total liability against the run.  Biegel would get washed out.  Of course, Biegel could also get on the juice hit the weights real hard.

11 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Your right. I'm putting all EDGE players in a different position. We have enough interior DL though. 

Would Biegel, Fackrell, and Matthews be in that group? Or are they more of the SAM types? None of them are larger than Brady Poppinga.

21 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Would Biegel, Fackrell, and Matthews be in that group? Or are they more of the SAM types? None of them are larger than Brady Poppinga.

It depends on what Pettine is running. He has a pure 3-4 in his background, as well as a 4-6 and now a 4-3 under. I don't know about Biegel (not enough info), or Fackrell (not convinced he can play anywhere) but Clay could presumably have a position in any of those Ds. I just don't know at this point. But Perry can also play in any of those. We just need another Perry type. 

In a 46 D we would presumably be:

HaHa

?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         King

Clay                  Martinez                                         Jones

Perry           Wilkerson     Clark      Daniels             ?

In a 4-3 Under we would be:

HaHa                                                    Brice?

?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         King

Martinez                            Clay 

Perry

Daniels             Clark                               Wilkerson           ?

And the 3-4 would be largely the same as Dom's base.

This assuming the strong side is the left of the screen. No idea what Sub packages he will be rolling with.                                                                                

I bet if we traded Clinton-Dix, the Seahawks would be asking for less than a first and a third.

Vikings trying to add Mathieu and Richardson and they're risking the free agent overload that is a real thing.  Look at their roster and see how they got there.  Brock, Newman, Joseph, Reiff and Murray are the only free agents I can count on a quick look.  If the Seahawks offered Richardson 11 million per, he's going to cost at least 11 million.  They've got 25 million this year.  Don't know how they could add Richardson, Mathieu and still have enough left for their rookies.  Next year they have 44 million at this point, but Barr, Kendricks, Floyd, Diggs and Hunter next year to re-sign.  With Everson Griffin at 30 years old, I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize not being able to re-sign the 23-year-old Hunter. 

I just feel like the Vikings are doing what they did in that Favre span of five to six years where they signed everybody.  It's sustainable for 2-3 years tops until they have to start waving goodbye to their own good players or they have to start cutting players they signed.

I just don't think now is the time for the Vikings to start blowing their load on all these additions.  Every new piece they add just makes for a bigger fall if you ask me. 

It's bad news Friday.  Friday is the day when bad things happen in Green Bay because Gute thinks people will focus on their weekend plans instead of the stupid trades he makes.  I fully expect us to trade Clinton-Dix for a backup kicker and swapping second and third round picks today. 

18 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I bet if we traded Clinton-Dix, the Seahawks would be asking for less than a first and a third.

Vikings trying to add Mathieu and Richardson and they're risking the free agent overload that is a real thing.  Look at their roster and see how they got there.  Brock, Newman, Joseph, Reiff and Murray are the only free agents I can count on a quick look.  If the Seahawks offered Richardson 11 million per, he's going to cost at least 11 million.  They've got 25 million this year.  Don't know how they could add Richardson, Mathieu and still have enough left for their rookies.  Next year they have 44 million at this point, but Barr, Kendricks, Floyd, Diggs and Hunter next year to re-sign.  With Everson Griffin at 30 years old, I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize not being able to re-sign the 23-year-old Hunter. 

I just feel like the Vikings are doing what they did in that Favre span of five to six years where they signed everybody.  It's sustainable for 2-3 years tops until they have to start waving goodbye to their own good players or they have to start cutting players they signed.

I just don't think now is the time for the Vikings to start blowing their load on all these additions.  Every new piece they add just makes for a bigger fall if you ask me. 

Danielle Hunter is going into his 3rd season so he's not going to be an unrestricted free agent and therefore going nowhere. I'm not impressed with that the Vikings have done this off season. Cousins is a mid-tier QB at best. Nothing elite about him. He will not play as well as Keenum did this past season. They let all three of their QB's go and then traded for Seimian. They spent a ton more money on the position and downgraded it in the process. 

Just now, Golfman said:

Danielle Hunter is going into his 3rd season so he's not going to be an unrestricted free agent and therefore going nowhere.

How can he be going into his third season if he's played three seasons? 

9 hours ago, Leader said:

Yes. We will have replaced DR (plugged that hole) and added Wilkerson, Graham and better draft positions. It's not a one off situation. I'm not getting in to the "Jordy valuation debate for the ages" - others can rage on with that - but I think we'll figure something out.

Just don't get the love for this offseason.

The Randall trade opened up a hole at CB (so we now have 3 instead of 2) for a lateral move at backup QB.

We signed Wilkerson who was a mediocre player last year (and has been for two years since his injury) and who was leading an active rebellion against the coaching staff in New York.

We cut Nelson, who by some accounts would have been willing to work with us on a reasonable extension for alleviation.

We used the money from cutting Nelson to sign Jimmy Graham, who also was really mediocre last year (outside of the red zone).

This offseason has so much risk involved in it, it's scary.

++++

If we can patch this bleeding CB rotation.

If we can draft an impactful pass rusher.

If Kizer was a result of sucking due to being a rookie on the Browns and will get better.

If Wilkerson's problems are mental and not physical.

If Wilkerson's mental problems are fixed by a new location.

If we can come up with a way to get full impact out of Clark, Daniels, and Wilkerson.

If we can find another WR to replace Nelson.

If Jimmy Graham isn't done and just needs a change in scenery. 

Archived