2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Just now, packfanfb said:

I think it was pretty obvious my point was not "hey just put any fast guy out there." He has to be able to play WR too. My point is there are a lot of guys in the NFL who can do both. Allison has some decent attributes but speed/separation aint one of them. Id like to look to improve there if we can.

I mean, I'd love to have a Julio Jones or Odell Beckham Jr. out there as much as anyone, but those players don't grow on trees.  If you want someone fast (and I'm talking about legitimately fast) and can play WR, they're getting picked early and often.  Would you use our highest pick in years on a WR?  Hell no.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You'll see what you want to see, and you'll change the argument to fit it.  Amusing.  Draft a WR on Day 2 and I'm pleased with my receiving corps.

Frankly I'm somewhat surprised I'm even getting pushback on this issue. Not sure how anyone could feel good about Adams, Cobb, Allison as your 1, 2 ,3, even with a day 2 WR, which we are assuming will happen. 

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You'll see what you want to see, and you'll change the argument to fit it.  Amusing.  Draft a WR on Day 2 and I'm pleased with my receiving corps.

I would like to see two WR drafted, DJ. Clark, DaeSean Hamilton, Cedrick Wilson and Dante Pettis.  They might be able to be taken in rounds 3 or later, maybe not Clark. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Frankly I'm somewhat surprised I'm even getting pushback on this issue. Not sure how anyone could feel good about Adams, Cobb, Allison as your 1, 2 ,3, even with a day 2 WR, which we are assuming will happen. 

Cos with Graham in the mix you got enough targets to play with and especially if you want to get a draft pick some reps to grow

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Am I pleased with Geronimo Allison as my #3 WR?  No.  Would I like to upgrade it?  Absolutely.  But I'm also realistic enough to realize that I have much bigger fish to fry.  Would having Geronimo Allison as my #3 WR really affect my season?  Probably not.  If the value hits the need, I'm all about drafting another WR.  But it's nowhere near an issue that EDGE or CB is.  And if the Packers take a WR over an EDGE or CB of similar value, I'm going to be upset.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I'd love to have a Julio Jones or Odell Beckham Jr. out there as much as anyone, but those players don't grow on trees.  If you want someone fast (and I'm talking about legitimately fast) and can play WR, they're getting picked early and often.  Would you use our highest pick in years on a WR?  Hell no.

Didnt see where where I said we need to sign an All-Pro WR. In fact, I suggested Martavis in a reasonable trade or Brice Butler. If you think Allison and co are better than Butler, fine. I think he'd compliment our team and make it better. Then you still add your day 2 rookie and hope he's more Adams, less Ferguson. 

1 minute ago, Brit Pack said:

Cos with Graham in the mix you got enough targets to play with and especially if you want to get a draft pick some reps to grow

Last year we had Bennett with Adams, Cobb and Jordy. Are you saying we had too many targets last year? 

3 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I would like to see two WR drafted, DJ. Clark, DaeSean Hamilton, Cedrick Wilson and Dante Pettis.  They might be able to be taken in rounds 3 or later, maybe not Clark. 

We're not using a 1st round pick on a WR, I can pretty much assure you of that.  I'm pretty sure there is a philosophical concept from the TT tree, and I'd be surprised if the Packers took an offensive player that wasn't a QB or an OT prospect.  We're obviously not taking a QB, and probably not taking an OT so it stands to reason we're drafting a defensive player in the 1st round.  Odds are either CB or EDGE, maybe Derwin James or another safety if we're using Josh Jones in a hybrid LB/S role.

As for Day 2, we've had good success in the 2nd round in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if that was our target range.  But I think it depends on how the first round goes and how quickly WRs go off the board.  If the first WR goes off the board early, that could cause a trickle-down effect which could have WRs rise up the board.  Happened last year when the Chargers took Mike Williams and the Bengals took John Ross.  But they'd be passing over the CB and EDGE in Round 2, and I've got even less faith that there will be anything halfway decent at those two positions that late.

Just now, packfanfb said:

Last year we had Bennett with Adams, Cobb and Jordy. Are you saying we had too many targets last year? 

Yup, and we did the season before that when we had Cook instead of Bennett. Winning on offence with a healthy Rodgers ain't an issue no CBs and edge rush is,

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

In 7 games with the Packers last year, Bennett had 38 targets.  Over a 16 game season, that is 87 targets.  That would be 4th in terms of targets.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Am I pleased with Geronimo Allison as my #3 WR?  No.  Would I like to upgrade it?  Absolutely.  But I'm also realistic enough to realize that I have much bigger fish to fry.  Would having Geronimo Allison as my #3 WR really affect my season?  Probably not.  If the value hits the need, I'm all about drafting another WR.  But it's nowhere near an issue that EDGE or CB is.  And if the Packers take a WR over an EDGE or CB of similar value, I'm going to be upset.

I agree EDGE and CB > WR. That works both ways with the draft in mind too though. Right now we have 3 picks for days 1 and 2. Will we use one of those picks on WR given our cureent deficiencies elsewhere? Who knows.

Archived