2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 hour ago, Jaegybomb said:

That doesn't count the nearly 10 mil slated to the rookies in the draft.

Posted this in the Jimmy Graham thread, but the rookie pool money needed based on overthecap

Here is the info from Over the cap.  The cap hits for the rookie picks is $9.3M.   Then you need to subtract a contract from the top 51 rule to get the net cap hit.  Quick and dirty way to do so is multiple the number of draft picks (GB has 12) by a league minimum salary player (480K).  So 12 x 480 = $5.760M

That leaves a net rookie cost of $3.54M.   That is assuming GB keeps the picks they have.   Trading picks could change things a decent amount.

Team Total Rookie Pool # 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Packers $9,364,061 14 $2,507,504 $1,111,983 $711,960 $651,249 $552,464 $519,982 $502,456

I'm guessing if we don't sign anyone today Gute has gone into TT mode by letting the market settle. The longer these guys go unsigned the lower their asking price. That has to be the plan now that he missed out on the 2nd tier CB's.

Iike some have stated he may just sign a couple of vet corners then draft one in the 1st. If Ward is not there at #14 I hope we trade back 3 spots and draft the CB out of Iowa and get another 2nd round pick to draft an Edge and WR in the 2nd.

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, do you believe that Geronimo Allison wouldn't get to 600 yards?  In his first two seasons, he's got 61 targets, 35 receptions and 455 yards.  Last year, Jordy Nelson was #3 in terms of targets for a WR with 88.

Hard to look at last year given there was clear and MAJOR chemistry issues with Nelson and the back up.  Hundley was much more likely to force the ball to Adams than throw it to an open Nelson. 

I've got a hard time believing Geronimo Allison is going to give us 600 yards.   Down the stretch in 2016 when he had the best stretch of his career he benefited from having a dominate WR in the slot.  I think he's going to have to struggle having that same sort of success when defenses can cover that slot guy with a LB instead of the DB that Jordy demanded.  Cobb just isn't a guy who can rely on consistently beating his man.  He does the majority of his damage on blown overages or broken plays.

Time will tell though I hate requiring something far from the ordinary.  Geronimo Allison is a slower, less athletic  and less experienced version of the 2015 version of James Jones we had fill in for Jordy and we all see the abomination that our offense was.   Maybe I'm wrong though.  Maybe we can have the success we had in late 2016 with an improved Adams, by moving lateral at TE with Graham and having a MAJOR down grade in the slot. 

12 hours ago, squire12 said:

Trevor Davis

Trevor Davis is a return man not a capable NFL WR.  We're better off running Jeff Janis out there and having him run the hailmerry on every snap.  The success rate of those Hailmerry's will be far better than the success rate Trevor Davis has had at WR thus far in his NFL career. 

29 minutes ago, jiggad369 said:

Some of you guys acting like it's the end of the world need to step outside and get some fresh air.

It's not that serious.

FWIW, I'm annoyed but once I'm off this forum it never crossed my mind...

4 minutes ago, SSG said:
12 hours ago, squire12 said:

Trevor Davis

Trevor Davis is a return man not a capable NFL WR.  We're better off running Jeff Janis out there and having him run the hailmerry on every snap.  The success rate of those Hailmerry's will be far better than the success rate Trevor Davis has had at WR thus far in his NFL career. 

Since the post was about a WR with speed and a deep threat, 

Davis 4.37 in the 40

Janis 4.37 in the 40

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Since the post was about a WR with speed and a deep threat, 

Davis 4.37 in the 40

Janis 4.37 in the 40

And we've all see how great just being able to run fast in shorts translates to playing WR at a NFL level (ie Jeff Janis' NFL career).  Despite going into his 3rd year, Davis has looked awful when it comes to playing WR at the NFL level.  At least with Janis, he's shown a small glimpse (VERY SMALL).  I'm by no means advocating for Janis just stating how awful Trevor Davis has looked at WR thus far in his NFL career.  IMO if Davis is our answer for a deep threat we better get used to the idea of not being able to go down the field.  Unless he comes back this year completely reinvented, he's not a NFL caliber WR IMO.

Archived