2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

11 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

^And how do you know that the only difference isn't that we're vocal about the players we're interested in instead of quiet about it?

We heard not a single peep about Bennett.  We heard not a single peep about Peppers.  

Us fans will never know that. You are right TT could have been for lots of deals. 

Personally, I think we are done in free agency till after the draft. 

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No they aren't, and shame on you for suggesting they are. 

Shame on me? Haha. What?

Sorry man, but the last big FA's deals/names were Peppers, Woodson, Manuel ( lol),  Pickett, Saturday (lol), Bennett, Graham, and Wilkerson.

Biggest names there? Peppers, Woodson, Graham, and Wilkerson.

8 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/03/21/dougherty-same-old-same-old-packers-free-agency/446570002/

More evidence that its the same story in Green Bay as I have been saying. The Packers aren't being any more aggressive with free agents than they were under Ted Thomspon. This is in spite of Gute's much more frequent attempts. The problem - the same contract offers being drawn up by good ol' Russ Ball...

Now you tell me what's more likely, Gute thinks that by sheer volume of offers made, we'll get more players to sign the same lowball offers Russ Ball drew up under TT, and that's Gute's idea of being more aggressive? - OR- It's just as I've been saying and Gute would like to be more active in free agency with legitimate top of market offers but is forced to defer to Russ Ball and his ridiculously conservative ways.

Either way its the same result as the prior regime. Either Gute shares Ted's tip toe approach to adding free agents or Russ Ball has the same control over the fate of free agents pursued that he had under Thompson.

At the very least, you guys should be coming to the realization that the Packers expectation that players should take less to come here because of Aaron Rodgers is absurd. This is free agency in a sport where careers end in a blink. These guys need to get every penny they can on the open market. And so far the offers have been just like the ones Russ Ball has been writing for years.

Just keep on believing that I'm full of it though.

I hadn't even let myself think about this enough to think about the Ball factor. Makes sense.

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Why do you think this is down to Russ Ball ? 

It could easily be Gute setting a top limit and Ball negotiating up to that capped amount (which will fail to secure a player if it is too low). It seems to me you just have a downer on Ball. At the very least you would expect Gute and Ball to have conversations about how much an offer should be, and agree to a maximum price. 

Exactly right.

This concept that there are separate, distinct and coequal power centers within the 1265 operation is simply a myth. Its Gutes show.

20 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Shame on me? Haha. What?

Sorry man, but the last big FA's deals/names were Peppers, Woodson, Manuel ( lol),  Pickett, Saturday (lol), Bennett, Graham, and Wilkerson.

Biggest names there? Peppers, Woodson, Graham, and Wilkerson.

Graham isn't as big a name as you insist it is and the only reason you insist it is is because he's an exciting receiving tight end and not an excellent blocking tight end like Bennett was.

As far as talent and age, there's no difference between Graham and Bennett except Bennett was younger and a blocker while Graham is older and a receiver.  No matter how many times you say there's a difference.  

32 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Graham isn't as big a name as you insist it is and the only reason you insist it is is because he's an exciting receiving tight end and not an excellent blocking tight end like Bennett was.

As far as talent and age, there's no difference between Graham and Bennett except Bennett was younger and a blocker while Graham is older and a receiver.  No matter how many times you say there's a difference.  

There's a difference. Graham is leagues better of an athlete, more productive and a much better fit for our offense. You're doing the thing again where you have an opinion and then you adamantly discuss that opinion like it's a fact. 

Graham has almost 70 TDs, he has one more TD than Jason Witten who's been in the league since it's inception. Graham has a legit HOF candidate chance if he has the type of mid 30s seasons Gonzalez and Gates had.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's a difference. Graham is leagues better of an athlete, more productive and a much better fit for our offense. You're doing the thing again where you have an opinion and then you adamantly discuss that opinion like it's a fact. 

Graham has almost 70 TDs, he has one more TD than Jason Witten who's been in the league since it's inception. Graham has a legit HOF candidate chance if he has the type of mid 30s seasons Gonzalez and Gates had.

Never would have guessed that. Dudes a TD machine. 

44 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Bennett was younger and a blocker while Graham is older and a receiver.

Bennett is 8 months younger than Graham. They are both 31 for the majority of the season. Blocking TEs arn't worth squat compared to a receiving TE as well. Graham is also an inch taller that Bennett. If we are going to cut hairs with age might as well with height too. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're doing that thing again where you're arguing something I'm not arguing.

As far as free agent deals, it's not wildly different than the Bennett signing.  Graham's deal is 3 million more a year than Bennett's.  That's not some gigantic difference in a free agency signing.  We spent more money at this point last year than we have so far this year or close to it.

This free agency is not something radical.  It's not some major departure.  We added two players. The only real difference has been trading Randall.  

You know it's true, so why continue to argue it?  To convince yourself to make you feel better?

Things would have been different if we signed Trumaine Johnson or Mathieu or any notable free agent under the age of 30.  We didn't.  It's free agency as usual.  Bargain players 30 or older was Thompson's MO.  

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

Bennett is 8 months younger than Graham. They are both 31 for the majority of the season. Blocking TEs arn't worth squat compared to a receiving TE as well. Graham is also an inch taller that Bennett. If we are going to cut hairs with age might as well with height too. 

And how old was Bennett a year ago and how old is Graham now?

If Bennett is 8 months younger than Graham, that would mean... 

Last year we signed a guy 20 months younger than the guy we just signed this year...

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You're doing that thing again where you're arguing something I'm not arguing.

As far as free agent deals, it's not wildly different than the Bennett signing.  Graham's deal is 3 million more a year than Bennett's.  That's not some gigantic difference in a free agency signing.  We spent more money at this point last year than we have so far this year or close to it.

This free agency is not something radical.  It's not some major departure.  We added two players. The only real difference has been trading Randall.  

You know it's true, so why continue to argue it?  To convince yourself to make you feel better?

Things would have been different if we signed Trumaine Johnson or Mathieu or any notable free agent under the age of 30.  We didn't.  It's free agency as usual.  Bargain players 30 or older was Thompson's MO.  

The argument was that Graham was one of the bigger FA signings made for us. You said he's not different from Bennett. Unless you're just simply going off of financials and not talent it seems to me like you're saying they aren't too different as far as the impact of the signing.

I don't think this offseason has been overly different either. It's just begun though. Ted never traded up his pick in Rd 1, he never traded more than a late rounder for a player, up until last year he was never in the June 1 or post TC cuts. FA may be dwindling but the off-season itself is young. I'll wait to compare.

Archived