2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

I don't have a horse in the race, but I like the age 28.  Especially under the new CBA.  If a rookie comes in at 22, then he's "free" at what 26 or 27?   So, I like that age a ton as it means you are getting a younger player who is testing free agency.  Not an older player who may have been cut because of declining production off a larger long term deal.

Those 26-28 and even 29 year olds are coveted in free agency because they have a track record in the league, for better or worse, and are considered still in the prime of their careers where you can realistically expect average results from the past couple of years.  Granted those "averages" are probably pretty darned good.

Not many players age like fine wine.  Sure there are exceptions like Julius and to some extent Charles, but really, younger good players are the cream of the free agency crop.  Trumaine Johnson is the perfect example of this...28 years old, great track record over the past couple of years.  Huge deal.    Heck, even Cousins fits that argument and I'd argue that age on QB is different than age on a skill player in that QBs can play better longer than most other skill positions.

Long story short, if you are still with me...I like the age 28 for sake of this conversation.  Took the scenic route to get there and for that I apologize.

I will admit 27 was too early.  Should have been 28 to accommodate for players who were older when their second contract came up.  We're still significantly low on that list when you compare it to other teams in the NFL. 

Just now, fattlipp said:

its simple, 25-28 get big contracts (prime)  28-35 get discounts,  we are bargain shoppers here in GB.....

Go vote in the thread I made.  I feel like i'm gonna have a lot of people revenge voting no because they don't like me. 

Just now, squire12 said:

How many big time FA are there each year?

Do they match up with GB needs?

How do the other 31 teams compare in big time FA signings over the same time span.

This is what I want to know.  I've searched for some kind of chart that shows free agent spending, but I havne't been able to find anything.  It's why I made a thread for it.  I'm genuinely interested in seeing a comparison of the Packers and other teams. 

35 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Do you honestly, yes or no, think that at the time, Pickett or Manuel was a significant free agent signing? 

I do, yes.  Just like I think that the Bennett signing last season was bigger than the Graham signing this season.  At the time, they were coveted FA targets. It has nothing to do with their success before or after their signing.  Just like Javon Walker was a big get for the Broncos in that trade, doesn't mean he amounted to anything at all.  And like we hope Kirk Cousins is for the Vikings.

38 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

What about this concept is so hard to grasp?  We're hanging on Peppers, Woodson, Graham and Woodson over the past 10 years.  That's four significant free agents for one team over the past ten years and somehow I'm the one asking too much.

I'll make it really easy for you.  Any age.  Any age over the past thirty years.  Count them all out.  Count all the significant free agents of any age

FOR THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE PACKERS.

Now compare that to other teams.

The Jaguars signed more significant free agents the last two years than the Packers have LITERALLY SINCE FREE AGENCY HAS EXISTED and I'm the one being unrealistic? 

So now it's a comparison between teams? What's your exact argument here? Please be consistent. 

Just now, Kepler said:

So now it's a comparison between teams? What's your exact argument here? Please be consistent. 

Don't start this type of crap.  Of course I'm going to use other teams.  My argument is that it's more difficult to attract free agents, especially young ones, to Green Bay, Wisconsin than it is to attract free agents, especially younger ones, to places like Jacksonville, Miami, San Diego (when they had a team), Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, New York, Denver...

It is significantly more difficult for low market teams to attract free agents.  Compare Buffalo and Green Bay to every other team and you'll find that I'm right. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Don't start this type of crap.  Of course I'm going to use other teams.  My argument is that it's more difficult to attract free agents, especially young ones, to Green Bay, Wisconsin than it is to attract free agents, especially younger ones, to places like Jacksonville, Miami, San Diego (when they had a team), Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, New York, Denver...

It is significantly more difficult for low market teams to attract free agents.  Compare Buffalo and Green Bay to every other team and you'll find that I'm right. 

I’ll jump in. How many FA took less money to play elsewhere?  It’s always about money. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

I actually agree with you to a point. The part I don't agree with is setting the artificial goalpost of age and using it to prove your point. If it's so cut and dried you'd be able to prove your point without those parameters. Like many things there's much more nuance than your allowing for. When you set a hard cut off point of 28 and expect things to always follow that delineation you're bound to be disappointed. 

Oh and by the way don't get so worked up. Your heart will thank you later. 

Archived