2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

3 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I do too. But if you had Tramon and Breeland or someone like it, you could now wait until the 3rd or trade up after you got a EDGE/TE/WR, BPA ect in round 1 or 2.

I mean, signing Tramon Williams doesn't preclude us from holding off on adding a CB a bit later than before.  Prior to the Tramon signing, the latest we were realistically going to draft a CB was the 2nd round, and that was strictly from a numbers' standpoint.  Does anyone truly think that the difference between drafting a CB in the 2nd round is significantly different than the 3rd round?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because if I have to explain one more time that a 40 yard dash has very little do with ability to threaten deep, I might lose it.  And I'm trying not to come off sounding like an arse about this.  Look at the average 40 times for the Packers' WRs over the past few years.  We've gotten really good production despite pedestrian 40 yard dash.  I'll take an elite route runner who runs a 4.5 over a mediocre route runner who runs a 4.3 40.

If you look at my original post, I said I wanted a skilled receiver with speed. Why not have both? 

23 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Wow. 

Im pretty sure we watch Football for the same reasons.. not sure why you would have an issue with guys using their platform. 

So what is your stance on the NFL wearing pink to support breast cancer or camo for the military? I’m guessing you’re okay with that right?

Your post reeks of old time ignorance. 

Once again, Reid, Kap, Martellus Bennett and every player in the NFL has a right to protest whatever they want to protest as long as their employers permit it.

And fans like yourself who agree with Kap and Martellus B have every right to applaud them every time they protest the playing of the National Anthem.

Conversely, fans who do not support players using their platform to protest during the National Anthem have an equal right to register their protests with said players.

To contend otherwise, is simply a logical inconsistency that amounts to nothing more than an "I'm right and you're wrong" argument -- though I've no doubt that many of those who view the likes of Martellus Bennett as a hero have convinced themselves they are part of some great intellectual debate because I cannot fathom how anyone could otherwise support such an obvious turd of a human being.

Finally, equating the support players receive for wearing pink to help raise awareness in the fight against breast cancer to those who do not support Kap's wearing of socks depicting police officers as pigs is a truly pitiful attempt at false equivalency.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

If you look at my original post, I said I wanted a skilled receiver with speed. Why not have both? 

Because those fast, skilled WRs generally tend to go off the board well before the Packers pick.  You want a good WR who runs a low 4.4, high 4.3 forty with strong hands?  Better be willing to invest a 1st round pick into them.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Because those fast, skilled WRs generally tend to go off the board well before the Packers pick.  You want a good WR who runs a low 4.4, high 4.3 forty with strong hands?  Better be willing to invest a 1st round pick into them.

Or just resign Janis...

Just now, CWood21 said:

Uh, no. That would kill HZ. I wouldn't want to be responsible. What do you think of Jordan Matthews? The consensus seems to be that he struggled to get separation. We've talked about scheme being the problem in this forum. Can scheme make up for a player who struggles to get separation?

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, signing Tramon Williams doesn't preclude us from holding off on adding a CB a bit later than before.  Prior to the Tramon signing, the latest we were realistically going to draft a CB was the 2nd round, and that was strictly from a numbers' standpoint.  Does anyone truly think that the difference between drafting a CB in the 2nd round is significantly different than the 3rd round?

The point is if you had Tramon AND Breeland ( or someone like him) you're hands aren't tied to getting a CB in 1 or 2, ect. Opens the draft up significantly. There's no question it would impact what Gutey did early in the draft. Not sure what the confusion is.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Uh, no. That would kill HZ. I wouldn't want to be responsible. What do you think of Jordan Matthews? The consensus seems to be that he struggled to get separation. We've talked about scheme being the problem in this forum. Can scheme make up for a player who struggles to get separation?

I'd probably pass.  His production really has only come out of the slot, and we've already got enough options there.  What we need are more options on the boundary.  As for discussion about scheme, I'm not sure anything McCarthy has done would make me believe that he's going to change his scheme or play calling much.

2 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

The point is if you had Tramon AND Breeland ( or someone like him) you're hands aren't tied to getting a CB in 1 or 2, ect. Opens the draft up significantly. There's no question it would impact what Gutey did early in the draft. Not sure what the confusion is.

Except Breeland doesn't really change anything.  Our CB situation long-term is still a significant problem.  This isn't like the Packers signing Trumaine Johnson where they know who one of their starting CBs is going be for the next 4-5 years.  Breeland and Tramon are one, maybe two year fixes at best.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'd probably pass.  His production really has only come out of the slot, and we've already got enough options there.  What we need are more options on the boundary.  As for discussion about scheme, I'm not sure anything McCarthy has done would make me believe that he's going to change his scheme or play calling much.

On the last point I have some hope. MM said he was going to rebuild the playbook, and he brought back his old OC.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I would say scheme can help that. GB runs iso routes though, which relies on wide receivers gaining separation on their athletic ability and route running instead of scheme.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except Breeland doesn't really change anything.  Our CB situation long-term is still a significant problem.  This isn't like the Packers signing Trumaine Johnson where they know who one of their starting CBs is going be for the next 4-5 years.  Breeland and Tramon are one, maybe two year fixes at best.

Breeland is 26, johnson 28. I realize he's not the caliber of player Trumaine is,  but think they could be pretty confident he'd start in some capacity for a few years.

3 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Breeland is 26, johnson 28. I realize he's not the caliber of player Trumaine is,  but think they could be pretty confident he'd start in some capacity for a few years.

Like I mentioned, those are guys you're penciling in as your starting CB for 1-2 years depending on the contract.  Trumaine signed a 5 year contract with the Jets, so short of him getting cut he's going to be one of their starting CBs for the next five years.  Breeland probably gets 2 years max.

Archived