2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If the price is right no brainer to bring him on and then still go WR by rd 3, preferably a speed guy. We need to realize that Allison is not a viable 3. He should be fighting for a roster spot in the 4-5 range at best. 

Riley ran a 4.43 at 6'1,   Matthews ran a 4.46 at 6'3

57 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

I brought him up last week and everyone screams he's only a slot, I stated he can play outside and got ripped up.  

Look at where majority of his production came from.  It came from the slot.

3 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

Riley ran a 4.43 at 6'1,   Matthews ran a 4.46 at 6'3

All depends on that knee/ankle. He claims he was messed up all of 2016 and 2017 after getting poor advice from Philly docs about the injuries. If there's any truth to that and he's right after these procedures, he's young enough to maybe come back at 2014-2015 form where he was a pretty dominant slot WR with average QB play. 

I looked it up earlier, and if I recall correctly, Jordy Nelson ran 4.41.  I have seen both Jordy Nelson and Jordan Matthews run in college.  Jordy was a lot faster than Jordan Matthews.  I would be surprised if Matthews can keep up with him even now.  

6 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

It's one of many factors. 

I just can't keep doing this with 40 times and WRs.... It's not some holy grail that dictates what a player is capable of at the NFL level. 

A 40 time might preclude a player from a specific role in the NFL, but it will NEVER "confirm" what a player CAN do at the NFL level. 

Example.... Oh he runs a 4.3... so he can definitely be a deep threat in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

I just can't keep doing this with 40 times and WRs.... It's not some holy grail that dictates what a player is capable of at the NFL level. 

A 40 time might preclude a player from a specific role in the NFL, but it will NEVER "confirm" what a player CAN do at the NFL level. 

Example.... Oh he runs a 4.3... so he can definitely be a deep threat in the NFL.

Exactly.

4 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Agree. It's more short range explosiveness, cutting ability, and route running to go along with straight line speed. Taking only the 40 into account is like only rating receivers based on height. 

Just now, Kepler said:

Agree. It's more short range explosiveness, cutting ability, and route running to go along with straight line speed. Taking only the 40 into account is like only rating receivers based on height. 

Yup. And football smarts too. Ask Janus!

Archived