2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

11 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

I just can't keep doing this with 40 times and WRs.... It's not some holy grail that dictates what a player is capable of at the NFL level. 

A 40 time might preclude a player from a specific role in the NFL, but it will NEVER "confirm" what a player CAN do at the NFL level. 

Example.... Oh he runs a 4.3... so he can definitely be a deep threat in the NFL.

I ran a 4.4 and I never came close to being a deep threat in the NFL. :)

I am/have been intrigued by Mathews if his surgery fixes what has essentially ailed him for nearly two seasons this guy is legit. A big target who can get open for Rodgers. As for Reid I think he is Burnett 2.0 could be wrong but it seems like they do a lot of the same things. I guess he may be more durable Im on the fence with that one. 

The name I wonder about is E.J. Gaines whats the deal does he want to much money etc. Seems like an upgrade at this point. Start King, Gains in the slot and Tramon outside.

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Don't even know who you're trying to make a point against here.  Jordy Nelson is pretty much the prime example of a player who doesn't care about living in or playing in a small town/area.  Read the personal life section of Nelson's wikipedia page and tell me that's not the type of player that would be fine with playing in some 100,000 population midwest town. 

I think jaegybomb was joking...

14 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I looked it up earlier, and if I recall correctly, Jordy Nelson ran 4.41.  I have seen both Jordy Nelson and Jordan Matthews run in college.  Jordy was a lot faster than Jordan Matthews.  I would be surprised if Matthews can keep up with him even now.  

Here is the comparison, looks like Matthews is actually the better athlete(Please note I said athlete and not receiver)

Jordy Nelson: 6’2 5/8", 217lbs, 32.5" arms, 10" hands, 4.51(40), 31"(vertical), 10’3"(broad), 4.35(shuttle), 7.03(3cone)
Jordan Matthews: 6’3 1/8", 212lbs, 33.25" arms, 10.38" hands, 4.46(40), 35.5"(vertical), 10’(broad), 4.18(shuttle), 6.95(3cone)

Here is the comparison, looks like Matthews is actually the better athlete(Please note I said athlete and not receiver)

Jordy Nelson: 6’2 5/8", 217lbs, 32.5" arms, 10" hands, 4.51(40), 31"(vertical), 10’3"(broad), 4.35(shuttle), 7.03(3cone)
Jordan Matthews: 6’3 1/8", 212lbs, 33.25" arms, 10.38" hands, 4.46(40), 35.5"(vertical), 10’(broad), 4.18(shuttle), 6.95(3cone)

Im shocked at how similar their heights are...for some reason I always viewed Mathews as a bigger target 6'5" ish big.

58 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If nothing else, I like this news because it means GB is looking at WRs. Tells me they arent satisfied with where they are currently at with the position and mean to address it. 

I thought I heard this isn't the deepest WR draft class either.

50 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Sounds like he liked it in GB bc it was a small market  so apparently i proved it or Wilkerson is a ? :D

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/03/22/packers-muhammad-wilkerson-ready-return-my-dominant-play/449578002/

It’s different,” Wilkerson said Thursday, “but at the same time they say change is good, and I’m looking forward to a great change in Green Bay. … Being in a small city, it means more focus. It’s all about football.”

“Wilkerson said reuniting with Pettine was “key” in his decision. Also important was the chance to play for a contender, something he hasn’t experienced since early in his career.”

When I went on my visit,” Wilkerson said, “walking around the facility, it just brought a different energy in me.”

Haha. This is what one calls a...mic drop. 

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

I thought I heard this isn't the deepest WR draft class either.

Meh.  It's not particularly top heavy by any means, but there's solid depth in the middle rounds. The only WR that I might have a Day 1 grade on is Calvin Ridley.

If we're signing Matthews because of his slot prowess, we are morons. I think he was forced there more than maybe he should have been. I'm guessing they think he can play outside here or why bother with Cobb in house

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

If we're signing Matthews because of his slot prowess, we are morons. I think he was forced there more than maybe he should have been. I'm guessing they think he can play outside here or why bother with Cobb in house

Totally Agree, just because he has mostly played in the slot does not mean he cant play outside. Jordy also was better in the slot.

Other thing to note is that while we dont need a slot this year, we will next year when Cobb's contract is up

Archived