2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 minute ago, jleisher said:

What about Frank Gore?  Colts are or have released him.  My thinking is bring him in as Veteran Leadership and insurance for Williams and Jones in the backfield.  What you all think?

A simple rule for RBs: Are they older than 30? If so, no thanks. He should retire like Forte.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

A simple rule for RBs: Are they older than 30? If so, no thanks. He should retire like Forte.

Ok fair, but he was productive with the Colts last year, not a superstar, but productive.  For a low price on a one year deal, leadership alone would be worth it.  Wouldn't ask him to be the man, or the mans man, but maybe the mans, mans, man?

2 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Ok fair, but he was productive with the Colts last year, not a superstar, but productive.  For a low price on a one year deal, leadership alone would be worth it.  Wouldn't ask him to be the man, or the mans man, but maybe the mans, mans, man?

If you need Gore to be the voice in the room, why are we wasting money on a RB coach? I'm only interested in vet leadership if that vet is still a good football player (Woodson, Pickett, Peppers). Gore had an awesome career, but he hasn't averaged over 4 YPC in awhile, he's done.

55 minutes ago, jleisher said:

What a waste of a roster spot.  All of our backs are better than gore.

Packers have reached out about re-signing TE Richard Rodgers, per report.

I don't love or hate this, but I do feel we should want him back. The draft is "iffy" at the TE position and all we have is Kendricks. Now I do believe Kendricks will for better with 12 back. That being said RR is a vet who knows this offense and won't break the bank. Gives us some breathing room and allows us to see what other options are there if they present themselves.

1 hour ago, Toddfather said:

Packers have reached out about re-signing TE Richard Rodgers, per report.

I don't love or hate this, but I do feel we should want him back. The draft is "iffy" at the TE position and all we have is Kendricks. Now I do believe Kendricks will for better with 12 back. That being said RR is a vet who knows this offense and won't break the bank. Gives us some breathing room and allows us to see what other options are there if they present themselves.

I think it's one of those "if the money is right" discussions.  They're not going to overpay for an average player.

3 hours ago, jleisher said:

What about Frank Gore?  Colts are or have released him.  My thinking is bring him in as Veteran Leadership and insurance for Williams and Jones in the backfield.  What you all think?  Also, what's your feeling about T.J. Ward replacing Burnett?  I might be wrong, but I think he had his best years in Cleveland with our new DC?

I swear there will always be a contingent of fans who will bring up any "name" player without actually doing any legwork into the player.  I'm not trying to go off on you, but Frank Gore hasn't been any good since he left San Francisco.  He's averaged 3.8 YPC in Indianapolis compared to the 4.5 with San Francisco.  I'd rather just roll with Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams.

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I swear there will always be a contingent of fans who will bring up any "name" player without actually doing any legwork into the player.  I'm not trying to go off on you, but Frank Gore hasn't been any good since he left San Francisco.  He's averaged 3.8 YPC in Indianapolis compared to the 4.5 with San Francisco.  I'd rather just roll with Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams.

What's there to legwork?  49ers OL was better then the Colts.  Also, 261 carries for 961 yards an avg of 3.7 and 3 Tds for a 34 y/o doesn't seem that bad.  Williams was 153/556/3.6/4. behind an OL that ranked 28th, the Colts ranked dead last.  If the price is right and he's willing to come in and be our #3 RB, hell yeah, I would consider it.  True Jones and Williams, might be the future, but we can't count on that or Maye and Montgomery.  I think adding a veteran RB would make sense, whether it's Gore or someone else.  I just used his name, cause he just got cut.

21 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

R. Rodgers’ biggest assets are his hands and his trust with Aaron. I think he’s more valuable to us than any other team. I’d expect him back with us by the time it’s all said and done. 

I wouldn't complain if he's back.

24 minutes ago, jleisher said:

What's there to legwork?  49ers OL was better then the Colts.  Also, 261 carries for 961 yards an avg of 3.7 and 3 Tds for a 34 y/o doesn't seem that bad.  Williams was 153/556/3.6/4. behind an OL that ranked 28th, the Colts ranked dead last.  If the price is right and he's willing to come in and be our #3 RB, hell yeah, I would consider it.  True Jones and Williams, might be the future, but we can't count on that or Maye and Montgomery.  I think adding a veteran RB would make sense, whether it's Gore or someone else.  I just used his name, cause he just got cut.

How can't we count on Williams and Jones?  What needs improving on the RB side of things?  

Signing Gore or any player like that is a great way to waste money and get worse at a position which is already well stocked.  "for a 34 year old" yeah... but you don't need to compare him to 34 year olds, just RBs in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

How can't we count on Williams and Jones?  What needs improving on the RB side of things?  

Signing Gore or any player like that is a great way to waste money and get worse at a position which is already well stocked.  "for a 34 year old" yeah... but you don't need to compare him to 34 year olds, just RBs in the NFL.

Your point is well taken.  I have noticed that positions that we seem to think is well stocked or a strength going into a season, ends up being the opposite.  The OL, TE, LBers, WR, DB, all at one time or another we thought we were set, but it wasn't.  If it wasn't the name Gore, but maybe Carlos Hyde or someone else, would you consider it?  I would, Maye fumbles and Montgomery can't stay on the field.  Ripkowski is being wasted, or IMO last year he was.  IMO, if Jones or Williams goes down, we are screwed with what we have.  Fair to say?

Just now, jleisher said:

but maybe Carlos Hyde

Yeah of course.  Carlos Hyde is a top 10 runner in the NFL.  Gore is just washed up and done.

All that said though... If Jones or Williams goes down then we have the other.  If both go down... well, no team is really 3 deep at RB.  Usually that 3rd spot is a different style runner and you need to bring in someone off the practice squad or off the street.

I'd like Hyde because I think he's a good player and you can't have enough good players.  But it's not the best use of our funds because we have Jones who is also a good player and Williams who is a serviceable player.

41 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I would, Maye fumbles and Montgomery can't stay on the field.  Ripkowski is being wasted, or IMO last year he was.  IMO, if Jones or Williams goes down, we are screwed with what we have.  Fair to say?

Mays, homie. Rip is a head-knocking FB, he does that job well, but he hasn't carried the ball much all the way back through college. Mays did have an atrocious first game but he sure wasn't known for fumbling in college.  I think to really be in trouble at RB both Williams AND Jones would have to get hurt. I'm good with adding a couple late round-UDFA at RB and rolling into the season with whatever wins camp. If we get in trouble midseason we can probably sign Gore then.

Archived