Stefanski to stay as QB Coach

gopherwrestler

It doesn't bother me one bit the Vikings blocked him from interviewing nor does it bother me when teams do it to us.

I never understood why people think a team owes it to a coach to let him go to another team for a promotion. If the team wants/needs/has plans for the coach down the line, why are they obligated to say "Shoot, we really had plans for you and need you with this team but another team wants you. Oh well, see ya later. Have fun improving a conference rival while we gotta go find a lesser option to succeed you."

Especially the Giants who we already took our OC now we're supposed to be "Sure! Feel free to better your staff with another one of ours! No probz buddies! We'll just do another coaching search

If you're the owner of a restaurant and you have this great chef. He's under contract for 2 more years. He started with you as an intern and you gave him shot after shot and kept promoting him until he became your head chef and people come from all over the world to eat his food and it makes you a lot of money. A rival restaurant walks up to you and says "Hey, the chef is amazing. Can we interview him to be the manager of our restaurant?"

Why would you give up your best chef to help a rival just to see him get a promotion and more money? Is it the ethical thing to do? Sure. Is it a smart thing to do? No. Now you're giving a rival the customers that go to see him and the money that comes with it and you're trying to fill his proven shoes with another chef who's never been a head chef.

Why do that when you could say "Hey chef, we know it was a big opportunity for you to manage that restaurant but we think so highly of you around here. If you stay on, you'll end up being a manger here."

The Vikings have groomed Stefanski for 12 years, are we just supposed to let him go at the beckon call of another team?

13 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

Paul Allen made a good point on his show yesterday that while it might initially lead to more money, it could limit him down the line. If he is the O.C. but shurmur calls the plays, he won't get much credit. Kind of like George Edwards with Mike Zimmer. It may lead either to a better O.C. job in Minnesota if Deflippo leaves, or somewhere else.

I also bet they reward him a little bit with some more money. I don't think they do this if it was going to cause a major issue with Stefanski 

PA's remark sounds like a homer comment, defending the Vikes FO.   Stefanski could, equally possibly, shine brightly, renovating the NYG's offense with a rookie QB, on the biggest stage in the NFL.  He'd get the bulk of the credit, despite Shurmur being an offensive guru who earned another stint as a HC.  Why?...  A: Sports analysts would be able to properly discern which of the two had the greatest influence on the (theorized) success of the Big Blue O.   If their rookie QB developed quickly and well, their current OC (who was recently a QBC) would most likely be credited more than the HC.   The same might be said if Eli performs better than he has recently.

With all of that being said, the theory of some fans that an OC job in NYC could lead to a HC gig for Stefanski is largely dependent on a sub-.500 team having a terrible offense that needs a HC with OC background, which reduces his chances by about 50%. 

2 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Sports analysts would be able to properly discern which of the two had the greatest influence on the (theorized) success of the Big Blue O.   If their rookie QB developed quickly and well, their current OC (who was recently a QBC) would most likely be credited more than the HC.   The same might be said if Eli performs better than he has recently.

How much credit has been heaped on Frank Reich in Philadelphia? 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

How much credit has been heaped on Frank Reich in Philadelphia? 

Irrelevant to Stefanski.  Comparisons fall apart when circumstances differ significantly.  Projections of FOOTBALLS FUTURE results are different from past results.  Does Eli Manning play for NYG or another team?  The NYG rookie QB, if anyone is drafted, is yet to be determined.  Offensive scheming for NYG is yet unknown as regards Shurmur's input level.  More such factors are unknown and not necessarily comparable to Philly.

20 hours ago, Riddle said:

How long is Zim going to coach? Love the guy and I want him to stay as long as he loves it, but it is pragmatic to recognize that he is 61 already. Given that he has already experienced some health issues, he may have already had preliminary long term discussions with upper management. I am confident that we aren't making any contingency plans official, but I see it as likely that Slick Rick could also be lining up in-house candidates that could succeed Zim should he decide to drop the mic and walk away after we win the dance down in Hotlanta next year!

I'm sure Rick the Pickumulator will have his choice of coaches if Zimmer leaves if we win the Superbowl next year. 

10 hours ago, Purplexing said:

The kind that annoys defenders of everything the FO does, including PA's homer comments. 

Man he said this before it even happened. And how much credit has George Edward got for getting this defense to number 1 in the league? For developing Barr into a star OLB or Rhodes into a lockdown corner? 

Archived