Free Agent Rumors

Texas_OutLaw7

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I liked Hill coming out of college. But this is Walmart shopping, I suppose it's better then us going to the Goodwill's to pick up Morris among others but still. Are we even looking at WR's?

I'm not sure why we couldn't just use Zeke for the Burkhead role? Wasn't that the main selling point of Zeke? That he didn't have to come off the field? We just need a spell back. Dubar was never used in '14 only '15 when we were in between Murray and Zeke. It was never a major part of our scheme when we had a big time RB1.

I really don’t have much interest in a FA RB but I don’t really care if they are cheep.  But, This draft is pretty deep at RB and we surplus picks.  It makes the most sense to target a 3rd down back in the draft.  I’d like to see FA money go toward LG, WR, LB and/or S.

The only thing Burkhead brings is experience of being on a championship caliber team and playoff experience. Something we severely lack. So I can see the interest in him. 

Other than that, I would rather use the roster spot on a late round or UDFA, one that will be hungry to make a point.

6 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I'd rather just roll with Rod Smith and a draft pick as our backups to Zeke. Jeremy Hill doesn't do anything for me. I don't believe we'd use Burkhead like he should be utilized.

We don't utilize several of our players like we should, why start now.

16 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I'm not sure why we couldn't just use Zeke for the Burkhead role? Wasn't that the main selling point of Zeke? That he didn't have to come off the field? We just need a spell back. Dubar was never used in '14 only '15 when we were in between Murray and Zeke. It was never a major part of our scheme when we had a big time RB1.

It was. Zeke was supposed to be the every down back who could also develop into a dangerous pass catching threat. Either that logic was flawed (similar to Mo being the highest ranked DB prospect on their board since Deion) or these coaches are woefully inept and can't use him properly.

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

It was. Zeke was supposed to be the every down back who could also develop into a dangerous pass catching threat. Either that logic was flawed (similar to Mo being the highest ranked DB prospect on their board since Deion) or these coaches are woefully inept and can't use him properly.

I know which one I'm leaning towards.

17 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I know which one I'm leaning towards.

Pretty much.

To this point, Zeke has caught 58 of 77 targets (75.3%) for 632 yards (10.9 YPC, 8.2 YPA) and 3 touchdowns. I believe Dak has thrown all those passes, alongside 1 very bad INT when targeting Zeke (the pick 6 against Seattle), which adds up to a passer rating of 106.6. And yet, Zeke averages 2.3 catches for 25.3 yards for his career. Out of roughly 65 plays a game, we basically try to get the ball to our best playmaker in space 3 times a game, give or take.

And that's almost all screens, flat routes, and 6 yard hitches out of the backfield. Why not get him on a wheel route, or an angle, or an out, or hell even a slant- Ohio State did all of that. Most LBs in the league aren't gonna hang with that, certainly not in our division. Even the threat of any of those plays should contort a defense favorably for the rest of our skill players. But, you know, nah. We're gonna keep running the same 12 plays we have since the 90's, because apparently Jason's Princeton education didn't teach him that the salary cap was specifically crafted to prevent a team like the 90's Cowboys from existing again.

I get that passing over throwing more next year isn't a popular notion here, but, I mean, when you look around the league, almost all of the most efficient offenses in the league are targeting their RBs in the passing game 100+ times a year. You're getting basically getting twice as many yards as running the ball on average with extremely limited risk. I know Dak threw that aforementioned pick-6 when throwing to Zeke, but, that really shouldn't happen. Was just a remarkably bad read and throw from a clearly flustered QB who'd lost control of his mechanics- and if that doesn't change next year, none of this matters anyway.

I'm okay with change, as long as we get W's. I'm trying to think. I have seen a screen to Zeke maybe 4 or 5 times in the last 2 years. He has taken 2 of them to the house(Steelers in '16, and 49ers '17)

Infact, I've seen Zeke take more long screens to the house than any other RB, and yet can remember so few opportunities.

Archived