General Final Fantasy Thread

Yeah, FF6/3 is an absolute MUST play IMO. I think it's the best of the series and a lot of people definitely agree. Haven't played it in many years so not sure how well it's aged. Kefka is an all time great villain and there's some good feels in this game. I think it was the first video game where I actually felt sad about something happening.

33 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Yeah, FF6/3 is an absolute MUST play IMO. I think it's the best of the series and a lot of people definitely agree. Haven't played it in many years so not sure how well it's aged. Kefka is an all time great villain and there's some good feels in this game. I think it was the first video game where I actually felt sad about something happening.

As long as you don't mind 16-bit graphics, it doesn't show ANY age.  I played it 1.5 years ago with the SNES Classic with my then 12 year-old who LOVED it (and Secret of Mana on the SNES Classic too).  

The story and gameplay are just that much fun.  The ONLY issue is random battles, but the combat mechanic is so fun, it's only a minor annoyance (and you do need to level up lol).  It earns top RPG of all time discussion with Chrono Trigger IMO.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 4:27 PM, Broncofan said:

As long as you don't mind 16-bit graphics, it doesn't show ANY age.  I played it 1.5 years ago with the SNES Classic with my then 12 year-old who LOVED it (and Secret of Mana on the SNES Classic too).  

The story and gameplay are just that much fun.  The ONLY issue is random battles, but the combat mechanic is so fun, it's only a minor annoyance (and you do need to level up lol).  It earns top RPG of all time discussion with Chrono Trigger IMO.

I did love some Chrono Trigger! I might have some downtime at work this week. Maybe I'll play it on a sim. Secret of Mana was excellent also!

When I get the time, I'll give 6/3 a go again! I remember I put over 60 hours in that game back then. Was that one of the first to have timers that showed how long you play? I've always loved RPGs and never recall seeing that until that game

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

Hoping to finish this tonight. I really like what they're doing with Sephiroth though. Wish we had more of him in the game but we'll see what happens. Been a ton of fun but absolutely hate the "linearness". That will undoubtedly not be a problem with the next installment though. Certain of it

Finally didn't spend 30 minutes fighting that dude just to die. Game was everything I thought it would be except the linear aspect. Aside from that, it was excellent!! There's no reason to think the next installment will be this way though so I'm not too upset. If it is linear, we have a huge problem. Hope we don't have to wait 5 damn years to get our hands on it. Only noticed one "bug" also which is awesome. 

On 6/14/2020 at 1:40 AM, JTagg7754 said:

Kinda spoiler, I guess:

Fighting this Sephiroth battle is harder than it should be. Definitely playing a lot more defense until my ABT is full then staggering him. 

Gonna try again tomorrow hopefully. 

I did beat it first try, but it took a LONG time. I blew through most of my items.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I did beat it first try, but it took a LONG time. I blew through most of my items.

I actually used elixirs and didn't save all of them until the end and never use them!! Might be the first time it's ever happened lol. Just glad it was a challenging fight. I can only imagine fighting Yiazmat in FFXII and dying over an hour in. That would just piss me off like no other lol. Adamantoise (??) was the only boss I didn't fight in FFXV but I heard that was a long one also. I already died more times in this game than I did in my entire 90 hours of FFXV so that made me happy also. Felt FFXV was too easy

10 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I actually used elixirs and didn't save all of them until the end and never use them!! Might be the first time it's ever happened lol. Just glad it was a challenging fight. I can only imagine fighting Yiazmat in FFXII and dying over an hour in. That would just piss me off like no other lol. Adamantoise (??) was the only boss I didn't fight in FFXV but I heard that was a long one also. I already died more times in this game than I did in my entire 90 hours of FFXV so that made me happy also. Felt FFXV was too easy

I wouldn't say I died a lot, but I certainly was on death's doorstep (last character minimal life) a bunch of times. 

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I wouldn't say I died a lot, but I certainly was on death's doorstep (last character minimal life) a bunch of times. 

Well, compared to XV it was a lot lol. I died 1 time in that game. I died 5 in this one. Still, I'll take it. The "hard" mode would certainly make things extremely difficult.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Snuck this one in on me! Was too busy to notice earlier. Looks so dope and apparently the person behind it, Yoshida, is very widely known and respected. 

I just hope its not linear and feels complete.   I liked 15 and even enjoyed aspects of 13....but 10 was the last FF game I loved (haven't play FF7 remake yet).

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, 43M said:

I just hope its not linear and feels complete.   I liked 15 and even enjoyed aspects of 13....but 10 was the last FF game I loved (haven't play FF7 remake yet).

I highly doubt it will be linear but am absolutely in agreement about it needing to be complete. 15 really lacked there aside from the first continent and that part was superb IMO. If you hate linear games, skip 7R lol. It's the definition of linear but still a ton of fun and damn gorgeous of a game. 7R2 has to be open world though. There's no way around it.

Looking forward to learning more about XVI though. If I have a PS5 at that time, it's a day 1 purchase for me.

Edit: Just read both the producer and director are well known for their work on XIV and MMORPG games in general. I hope that's not the path they're going with this. Not at all. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I highly doubt it will be linear but am absolutely in agreement about it needing to be complete. 15 really lacked there aside from the first continent and that part was superb IMO. If you hate linear games, skip 7R lol. It's the definition of linear but still a ton of fun and damn gorgeous of a game. 7R2 has to be open world though. There's no way around it.

Looking forward to learning more about XVI though. If I have a PS5 at that time, it's a day 1 purchase for me.

Edit: Just read both the producer and director are well known for their work on XIV and MMORPG games in general. I hope that's not the path they're going with this. Not at all. 

Yes Yoshida is best known for being the producer/director of FF14, no this isn't an MMO if that's what you're worried about.