FF10

Boring:

One of the Lighning ones. think it was 13

FF15 - horrible cast

aged poorly:

og FF 1

didnt play the rest

what are some other great FF that are turnbased in nature

FF4 and FF6 were the best of all time. They to me have an argument for best RPGs of all time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

FF4 and FF6 were the best of all time. They to me have an argument for best RPGs of all time. 

FF4 was the one that changed the bar for greatness.  FF6 is the peak IMO.   Chrono Trigger gets a nod for the great gameplay / story and really raising the game for multiple endings.  

That really was the peak of JRPG gaming imo.  Especially when you add in DQ excellence at that time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

FF4 was the one that changed the bar for greatness.  FF6 is the peak IMO.   Chrono Trigger gets a nod for the great gameplay / story and really raising the game for multiple endings.  

That really was the peak of JRPG gaming imo.  Especially when you add in DQ excellence at that time.  

Yea everything kinda fell flat story wise after Xenogears. There was Silver Star story which was a remake of Eternal Blue which might have been the best JRPG story of all. 

I think the golden age of JRPG story telling ended with FFT and Xenogears. After that there were a bunch of hits and misses when back in the mid 90s they seemed to vastly be hits. 

Edited by Calvert28
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 8:26 AM, MikeT14 said:

Hide contents

So, I don't remember everything about Zack in the original, but didn't Cloud, like, take over his identity? That was the gist of it? Seems like this time around they're going down a slightly different path. Maybe alternate timeline or something? Either way, Tifa and Cloud's relationship seems a lot stronger and has more history this time around, and it doesn't seem to follow the original FF7 path (which is great)

Yes you are correct, he basically took Zack's story, sword and girl..whoops.

My guess maybe half of part 2, we'll play as Zach. Maybe he'll get his own team to take on shinra?

I am actually glad this game is just a remastered version and that they are tweaking it. I actually haven't played any of the newer FF games, never thought I like the new battle system but boy its amazing. In the ps1 version, I never used Tifa, always thought she was weak but man she KILLS in the remake!

I truly think that this time around, Aerith won't die. I just think that the FF7 community has always wanted a way for her to be saved and I think they give it to use this time. Now does that mean someone else dies?

Glad I can discuss this with y'all. Outside of my brother in law, all my close friends/family members have yet to play.

Side note, my brother in law got platinum on this game. He's TOO HARDCORE!

[\spoiler]

Edited by NcFinest9erFan

On 5/16/2020 at 10:58 AM, Calvert28 said:

Yea everything kinda fell flat story wise after Xenogears. There was Silver Star story which was a remake of Eternal Blue which might have been the best JRPG story of all. 

I think the golden age of JRPG story telling ended with FFT and Xenogears. After that there were a bunch of hits and misses when back in the mid 90s they seemed to vastly be hits. 

Xenogears is criminally forgotten twenty years later. Such a great, great, great game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Disc one was good. Fell apart after that

ff9 was one that I didn't beat between the last three that came out 7-9. I always got to the end but stopped.

but I recently bought it for the ps4, used all the cheats too, I don't have time to mess around this time.

I realized that you don't actually get to play a ton with some of the characters(I think i'm on disc 3?)

Overall, I'm hoping to finish it this time.

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

ff9 was one that I didn't beat between the last three that came out 7-9. I always got to the end but stopped.

but I recently bought it for the ps4, used all the cheats too, I don't have time to mess around this time.

I realized that you don't actually get to play a ton with some of the characters(I think i'm on disc 3?)

Overall, I'm hoping to finish it this time.

Just a weird happenstance, but the odd numbered FFs are pretty much all my least favorites while I Have largely enjoyed all of the even numbered ones. 

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

probably top three in my book in terms of rpg. Behind Chrono Trigger and FF7.

It's up there for me. FFT is my #1. Some personas; DDS (both combined), Nocturne, Xenogears, FFX, Suikodens. So many games lol. 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

probably top three in my book in terms of rpg. Behind Chrono Trigger and FF7.

You really need to play FF6 before you leave it out of the top 3 - but no argument with Chrono Trigger or Xenogears.  All-time classic greats.  Secret of Mana is a different type (action RPG), so I look at it differently.   What a halcyon age it was for Squaresoft back then.

• Like 1