General Final Fantasy Thread

On 10/4/2023 at 3:34 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

XVI is so much fun but there are some annoying things. I really wish I could disable combat voices. "Sick em, Torgal" is already so insanely annoying and I'm guessing it'll only get worse. Some of the sound effects (voices) are also eye-rolling. It also seems a little lazy in some parts. Jill always does the same arm gesture when she's talking in casual conversation. Granted I'm just at the point of the Inn where I'm learning that everyone really hates branded people so it's still very early in the game. Maybe I'll notice it less and less as time goes on.

There are some things I like though that I thought I wouldn't. The non-open world but instead open sections of the world and easily navigating to them is neat. It's basically what everyone does when you start fast traveling in open worlds anyway but a unique spin on it. Combat is so, so fun and I've only just begun to figure it out. And the game is gorgeous. It's so well done in that aspect. 

Overall, a couple gripes but it's still amazing. Looking forward to getting my hands on it again this weekend.

Playing through it right now. I don't mind it much as someone whos played a ton of the Tales series this isn't anything new and I generally think the voice acting is top notch but I absolutely hate that dogs name. Torgal sounds horrible to say and doesn't sound like a dog to me at all. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 1:34 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

XVI is so much fun but there are some annoying things. I really wish I could disable combat voices. "Sick em, Torgal" is already so insanely annoying and I'm guessing it'll only get worse. Some of the sound effects (voices) are also eye-rolling. It also seems a little lazy in some parts. Jill always does the same arm gesture when she's talking in casual conversation. Granted I'm just at the point of the Inn where I'm learning that everyone really hates branded people so it's still very early in the game. Maybe I'll notice it less and less as time goes on.

There are some things I like though that I thought I wouldn't. The non-open world but instead open sections of the world and easily navigating to them is neat. It's basically what everyone does when you start fast traveling in open worlds anyway but a unique spin on it. Combat is so, so fun and I've only just begun to figure it out. And the game is gorgeous. It's so well done in that aspect. 

Overall, a couple gripes but it's still amazing. Looking forward to getting my hands on it again this weekend.

is XVI really worth it? I want to try but I wanted to get through Crisis Core before 7 Rebirth comes out in Feb. (It takes me a long time to get through a game lol) 

On 9/27/2023 at 6:03 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

7 was due to be polarizing b/c it was such a cult classic for this series and games in general. You will have the "don't touch it" purists as a result. You know what? Screw them lol. I'm glad they remake these games w/ today's technology. I will fanboy over a 6 remake if we ever get one. I'd wait in line for the thing if we didn't have online stores lol. That's how badly I want one of those. I will say I'm a purist in the sense that they can't change the world, however, and the openness of it. Since we all know what happens, I think that this is a reasonable request.

I will likely pay full price for this as well but might try to win it in a Facebook razz group like I did the first remake where I only paid $7 since I guessed the number right the first time lol. Won Forbidden West on my second try so I guess I'm good at guessing these. I am very eager to get my hands on this.

Had no idea you were as big of a FF7 nerd as I am. This was one of my all time favorites and I was one of the ones looking up remake rumors for the past 15 years until they decided to do it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

is XVI really worth it? I want to try but I wanted to get through Crisis Core before 7 Rebirth comes out in Feb. (It takes me a long time to get through a game lol) 

I'm really enjoying it so far. It likely takes you as long to get through games as myself but the good news is, if you do take this long, by the time you're ready for FFVII Rebirth, you might be able to find it cheaper and not have to buy it brand new! This game feels like an old school game w/ amazing graphics where 15 didn't really feel like a FF game but still had excellent graphics. Not sure what it is w/ this one.... regardless, the music, combat, and graphics are all superb and make it worth it IMO. Especially b/c you can find it used on eBay.

On 10/10/2023 at 11:45 AM, NickButera said:

Had no idea you were as big of a FF7 nerd as I am. This was one of my all time favorites and I was one of the ones looking up remake rumors for the past 15 years until they decided to do it. 

7 is one of my favorite games ever but not even my favorite FF game and it's not close. 6 (or 3) stands above all else and on a different platform altogether. Day 1 purchase if they remade that for new gen consoles. IMO, Kefka was the best villain the series has ever seen, it had the best story out of every game, and the other characters were the best side characters FF has ever put out (from an overall perspective). All their side stories were so interesting and everything they all added to the game was second-to-none. Definitely my favorite RPG of all time and maybe my favorite game of all time.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 3

On 10/15/2023 at 1:14 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

OK the game is still gorgeous but the music from Ifrit vs Typhon was terrible. Silver lining is I didn't realize how bad the music was until about 90% of my way through the fight 

I guess I disagree here because I thought the music was pretty banger, as a different style compared to the rest of the game.

2 hours ago, General Tso said:

I guess I disagree here because I thought the music was pretty banger, as a different style compared to the rest of the game.

Definitely a personal preference. It just seemed so out of place to me. Still, it's a minor gripe and having a battle where I didn't have to hear "Sick em, Torgal" was a breath of fresh air lol. Looking forward to future Eikon fights. This one was easy but I'm guessing that was on purpose.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Not sure what the budget of this game was but I bet they spent 33% of it on the Titan fight. Good grief that was awesome! Music was weird again but whatever. 

You ain't see nothing yet.

I would say that's the last of the "weird music." Unless you just don't like the main villain's theme.

• 2 weeks later...