General Final Fantasy Thread

• 4 weeks later...

"While XV has its strengths, so much of its world felt like empty space; land you had to get across to get to the next objective. Rebirth doesn’t feel like that at all. There are activities tucked around every corner, unique fights to find, resources to collect, and even surprises like the Mog House or Chocobo Chicks that lead you to a new fast travel point."

Things like.this get me excited. Reminds me a bit of the things to do in the open world maps of 7 and 9. 

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/final-fantasy-7-rebirth-already-feels-like-2024s-most-ambitious-game

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Do I need to play any other games before Rebirth? I haven’t played any final fantasy games 

You need to play FF VII (2020).  Or at least catch up on the story somehow, but it is a fantastic game so I'd highly recommend playing it.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 9:04 PM, sammymvpknight said:

Do I need to play any other games before Rebirth? I haven’t played any final fantasy games 

Definitely play the 2020 game as those guys already said. It's fairly linear so it doesn't take a ton of time but it's so, so good and will get you introduced into the lore that is this world. It will also give you a false impression of what FF games are like in the linear sense as it looks like Rebirth is more of a standard FF game w/ a ton of exploration. Good training wheels lol

• Like 2

Has anyone else dove in yet? I'm taking it slow, very slow. Just finished everything in the first world mapped area, the game is excellent so far. Everything about it is what I could have wished a remake would have, even the parts where they expand or the story and characters is very well done, logical, and fits with the existing narratives. Really don't have anything to complain about.

If I were nitpicking, the game doesn't feel so much as "explore and be surprised by what you find" because of the tower system, it points out all the areas of interest so you kind of know where to explore on the world map and what you're going to find there. 

On 3/7/2024 at 10:21 PM, NickButera said:

Has anyone else dove in yet? I'm taking it slow, very slow. Just finished everything in the first world mapped area, the game is excellent so far. Everything about it is what I could have wished a remake would have, even the parts where they expand or the story and characters is very well done, logical, and fits with the existing narratives. Really don't have anything to complain about.

If I were nitpicking, the game doesn't feel so much as "explore and be surprised by what you find" because of the tower system, it points out all the areas of interest so you kind of know where to explore on the world map and what you're going to find there. 

I’ve finished 8+ chapters and I’ve done all the side quests and mapped out the towers / relics and played every QB match I can.   I wasn’t intending to play QB but it’s both fun and has a backstory that caught me by surprise.   I’m 40+ hrs in as family was away this past weekend.   I could have sped-run it and finished but I wanted to really enjoy the full game, and in another 2 weekends I'll get to finish then:

General thoughts (no spoilers): 

Story

I give them credit, they're sticking to the original story key events and fleshing out iconic moments (Golden Saucer had so many I forgot lol).   If you've haven't played the original, it's fine but takes a while to wrap your head around the whole story/cast, but OG FF7 fans can keep track without missing a beat - and the expansion on those key events has been awesome, while the new twists do seem aligned with the character development.   We’ll see how things progress but so far it’s been A+ so far.   

Characters

They really do a great job of making you care about all the characters in the party so far - and the supporting cast as well.   And not just from the OG story, but the blended new one as well.  Definitely pays back for having played FF7 Remake and Intermission (Intergrade).

Gameplay (Fighting)

I do like the Abilities / Synergy mechanic a lot more than Remake's.    I will say doing the side quests first, it makes the extra stuff less necessary - Abilities/Synergy/Limit is really all you need for all but the hardest of Boss battles if you go completionist.    The Materia grid is serviceable - but I love the fact you can reset and start over any way you like.  Thumbs up there.

Visuals

I don't really have anything to say, other than it's stunning.

Side Quests

Yes, it’s not really truly open world because icons tell you what’s out there.      And yes some of the side quests are repetitive and some are just fetch quests - but they do a fantastic job of building up relationships in a far more tangible way than the OG game did.    And these are miles better than the on-rail feel you got from FG XIII - XV.    Highly recommended.   

The World Intel does get you to see some great background and expands on the FF7 lore that we filled in the blanks on with post-game.   Nice payoff to OG fans and helps introduce new fans to the depth of the original game.   

QB / mini-games

I honestly barely played them before - but QB has a neat backstory that's got me intrigued.   And it did so quite unexpectedly - it’s necessary

Fort Condor does make a return, but thankfully it's short.   Too simplistic to be really worth it but annoying enough to burn time on as the way to complete World Intel quests in 1 area (thankfully only 1 area).    The other mini games are simple but fun (the soccer-based one is surprisingly addictive, thankfully it's limited in scope lol).  

Other than the QB card game you don’t have to keep doing it which is a plus - past FF XIII - VV games just became more like drudgery to get through when required.   The QB mechanics and cards plus the story that weaves in are really well done.  Hats off to whoever came up with this one.    I will say that I took the extra effort to get the 100K pts for the parade (what a blast from the past) and an A rating for the piano side quest - it does get addicting and rewarding lol    

The Score

They have the classic ones...and man they're so awesome.  But I have to say the new tracks are really good - the Chapter 9 jungle one is my favorite new one by far.

Overall, if you're not a fan of JRPG's, and you prefer more action - you may say it's just OK/good.   But if you love story, characters, you should love it so far....we'll see how it ends lol.   But if you love FF7 OG - a booming success the 2nd time around.

I'm now on hiatus for 2 weeks then will finish Ch. 9+ to the end by the last weekend in March.  Looking forward to the last 1/3 of the game (I think it's 1/3). 

But yeah - NO WAY YOU PLAY THIS BEFORE REMAKE & INTERGRADE.   THANK ME LATER.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the whole story, side quests except 1 (Chocobo races Ch-12), QB, Pirates & World Intel.    Didn’t bother with Chocobo races except minimum in earlier chapter.    

The option to replay chapters is there so will try it but it’s never been a big draw for me. 

The storytelling depth is just insane.  And the set piece moments were spectacular.    I’m floored by how much they expanded on the OG story.   

Still processing the ending so I’ll post with spoiler tags on weekend / next week.   Gotta get caught up on rest of the RL stuff I put aside the last 5 days to get the next 60+ hours I used to finish Ch 9-14 & extras.   

It goes without saying to play Remake.  Over half of the events won’t make sense.    Frankly a primer on the OG FF7 would help.   If you played the OG like I did in early uni the depth of the game is just astounding.