General Final Fantasy Thread

On 12/20/2023 at 5:03 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, this game will 100% be amazing. There's no way it can't be now that I have this info (not sure if it was already known or not)

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2023/12/20/how-square-enix-is-filling-rebirths-world-with-sidequests

"Seeing that Remake is set in the world of Midgar, in which the player can explore within that area, we leaned heavily on story elements and were focused on a more narrative-driven game for Remake," director Naoki Hamaguchi says. "Now that we're entering into the outside world and going forward in that direction, I have this desire to depict more of that feeling of exploration, and I very much feel that this was able to be accomplished for Rebirth.

While you're exploring, you should plan on having the opportunity to enjoy a ton of side content. Hamaguchi estimates that approximately 80 percent of Rebirth's exploration-based content is side content, while the mainline story makes up the remaining 20 percent. If that makes you worry that Rebirth lacks story content, Hamaguchi says you can relax; even simply focusing on the main storyline, he estimates it will give players around 40 hours of gameplay. Meanwhile, if you tackle a decent amount of side content, players can expect to spend around 60 hours in Rebirth, while the most dedicated sidequesters can look forward to upwards of 100 hours of content."

Did you see the recent interview where they said The Witcher 3 was their baseline for the game. Pretty neat and encouraging. God I can't wait for this game. Need to finish up crisis core this break. I've got my ps portal, I'm ready. 

3 hours ago, NickButera said:

Did you see the recent interview where they said The Witcher 3 was their baseline for the game. Pretty neat and encouraging. God I can't wait for this game. Need to finish up crisis core this break. I've got my ps portal, I'm ready. 

No, I didn't see that but I'm ok with it for sure!! If it's open world in the sense that TW3 was, with all the side content, it'll be amazing. 

I'm about done with 16 but am going to take a FF break afterwards so I'll be playing this much later than when it's released. Likely not until summer. 

I'm sure reading reviews might make me change my mind lol. We'll see! Only a couple months away

26 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

No, I didn't see that but I'm ok with it for sure!! If it's open world in the sense that TW3 was, with all the side content, it'll be amazing. 

I'm about done with 16 but am going to take a FF break afterwards so I'll be playing this much later than when it's released. Likely not until summer. 

I'm sure reading reviews might make me change my mind lol. We'll see! Only a couple months away

Don't. Because I'll spoil it for you. You know I will. Texts and screenshots will reign down from the heavens. 

24 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Don't. Because I'll spoil it for you. You know I will. Texts and screenshots will reign down from the heavens. 

You sick son of a *****....... OK, fine lol. I'll play the GoW free DLC and then South Park The Fractured but Whole to fill the gap between when I finish 16 to Rebirth. 

I'm very curious about the play length here. Two discs is crazy for this day and age. 

5 hours ago, NickButera said:

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I find that interesting because some people say FF16 has some Witcher feel to it. Like Clive is Geralt type of character mostly

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I find that interesting because some people say FF16 has some Witcher feel to it. Like Clive is Geralt type of character mostly

Oh I totally see it and the game. Gerald and Clive aren't remotely close in characters though lol. The shots are similar as well but TW3 wasn't so lazily made that they actually used varying camera angles when in conversation unlike 16 that uses one still and one still only lol. I've actually thought it was very similar many times. I could see the worlds being intertwined 

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

They said they also are using the ff16 team for this new game. So not surprising now that you mention it

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

You sick son of a *****....... OK, fine lol. I'll play the GoW free DLC and then South Park The Fractured but Whole to fill the gap between when I finish 16 to Rebirth. 

I'm very curious about the play length here. Two discs is crazy for this day and age. 

I was recently going through a box of my old PS1 games and realized I had alot of games with multiple discs...

Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9

Chrono Cross

Resident Evil 2

Xenogears

Syphon Filter 2

Gran Turismo 2

Parasite Eve  

And 1 or 2 others I cant remember.

I also realized I have about 20 games that I borrowed from friends 20 or so years ago that I never returned to them.   😄

But yeah....2 discs now is wild.   Is this the first multi disc game since PS1?    I honestly dont remember any since then.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 43M said:

I was recently going through a box of my old PS1 games and realized I had alot of games with multiple discs...

Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9

Chrono Cross

Resident Evil 2

Xenogears

Syphon Filter 2

Gran Turismo 2

Parasite Eve  

And 1 or 2 others I cant remember.

I also realized I have about 20 games that I borrowed from friends 20 or so years ago that I never returned to them.   😄

But yeah....2 discs now is wild.   Is this the first multi disc game since PS1?    I honestly dont remember any since then.

Yeah, I've never seen a game even on PS2 that was multiple discs..... I think lol. Let alone a PS5!! This thing has to be absolutely massive. Clear out the entire terabyte! 

• Like 1

There have been several multi disc games in recent times.

The last of us 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077... Quite a few more I can't remember off the top of my head.

The last 4 disc game I can remember was lost Odyssey on the 360.

Edit:

Now that I think about it the first part of final fantasy 7 remake was also 2 discs.

People just don't notice multi disc games as much these days because so many people just buy digital.

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 2

16 Final Thoughts:

This was the Days Gone of FF games. When it was on, it was REALLY on, but when it wasn't, it was off. 

One of the most gorgeous games I've ever played. The graphics, especially Eikon battles along w/ Ultima, were simply incredible. Even the Eikon abilities that you use over and over again were gorgeous.

Then you have the lazy parts of the game which were casual convo. The mouth movements were awful, the lighting in the renders were off and made the characters look misplaced, and using stills like we're looking at live action paintings was just so lazy. It felt rushed and unfinished like Days Gone.

The music, minus the first couple Eikon battles ,was the best of any FF game I can remember. It truly felt like an old school FF game w/ the scores.

Was there a point to gil in this game? There was no reason to buy anything other than potions and nonsense b/c the weapons and armor all came from the blacksmith. 

It wasn't very hard as I died maybe 7-8 times the entire time but that's still 7-8 times more than I died in 15 lol. Could've been harder. One thing I always liked about old school FF games is that there were just certain areas that you had no business being in. You met an enemy and you'd get wrecked. I wish there were some areas like that here. I liked how the enemies got stronger as you did but I like the grind of FF games. There was no grind here. The hunt board was fun but a lot of them were fairly simple, even S tier enemies. 

All in all, it was a ton of fun and I enjoyed playing it. I won't buy the DLC b/c I just have too many other games to play. If I had to do an "off the top of my head" ranking, I'd put it probably 6th or 7th behind 3/6, 7, 12, 7R, 2/4, and maybe 15 (first map alone, everything after was bleh). I've never played 8-14 except 12.

Can't wait for 7Rebirth. Time to play South Park: The Fractured but Whole now to kill some time.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 6:59 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

16 Final Thoughts:

This was the Days Gone of FF games. When it was on, it was REALLY on, but when it wasn't, it was off. 

One of the most gorgeous games I've ever played. The graphics, especially Eikon battles along w/ Ultima, were simply incredible. Even the Eikon abilities that you use over and over again were gorgeous.

Then you have the lazy parts of the game which were casual convo. The mouth movements were awful, the lighting in the renders were off and made the characters look misplaced, and using stills like we're looking at live action paintings was just so lazy. It felt rushed and unfinished like Days Gone.

The music, minus the first couple Eikon battles ,was the best of any FF game I can remember. It truly felt like an old school FF game w/ the scores.

Was there a point to gil in this game? There was no reason to buy anything other than potions and nonsense b/c the weapons and armor all came from the blacksmith. 

It wasn't very hard as I died maybe 7-8 times the entire time but that's still 7-8 times more than I died in 15 lol. Could've been harder. One thing I always liked about old school FF games is that there were just certain areas that you had no business being in. You met an enemy and you'd get wrecked. I wish there were some areas like that here. I liked how the enemies got stronger as you did but I like the grind of FF games. There was no grind here. The hunt board was fun but a lot of them were fairly simple, even S tier enemies. 

All in all, it was a ton of fun and I enjoyed playing it. I won't buy the DLC b/c I just have too many other games to play. If I had to do an "off the top of my head" ranking, I'd put it probably 6th or 7th behind 3/6, 7, 12, 7R, 2/4, and maybe 15 (first map alone, everything after was bleh). I've never played 8-14 except 12.

Can't wait for 7Rebirth. Time to play South Park: The Fractured but Whole now to kill some time.

I wanna play 16 eventually, but may be another year or so.

As far as those FFs youve never played...

FF8 is one of my all time favorites and the FF I have the best memories of...but Im in the minority.   It doesn't hold up that well today.

FF9 probably holds up the best as far as PS1 FFs go.   

FF10 is still great.   Feels a bit dated, but worth playing if you ever get the chance.

FF13 isnt as bad as some make it out to be, but its probably the only FF where I actively disliked most of the characters.  Also super linear and forgettable story.

Bottom line....try 9 and 10 if you can.   B|

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 43M said:

I wanna play 16 eventually, but may be another year or so.

As far as those FFs youve never played...

FF8 is one of my all time favorites and the FF I have the best memories of...but Im in the minority.   It doesn't hold up that well today.

FF9 probably holds up the best as far as PS1 FFs go.   

FF10 is still great.   Feels a bit dated, but worth playing if you ever get the chance.

FF13 isnt as bad as some make it out to be, but its probably the only FF where I actively disliked most of the characters.  Also super linear and forgettable story.

Bottom line....try 9 and 10 if you can.   B|

I've heard 9 and 10 are the best of the bunch that I haven't played and to stay far away from 13 lol.

I'm sure there are online simulators I can tap into if I'm not too busy at work and maybe give them a shot but we'll see if that ever happens. That is how I played all the old NES, unreleased in the USA titles. Appreciate the ranking as that helps!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I've heard 9 and 10 are the best of the bunch that I haven't played and to stay far away from 13 lol.

I'm sure there are online simulators I can tap into if I'm not too busy at work and maybe give them a shot but we'll see if that ever happens. That is how I played all the old NES, unreleased in the USA titles. Appreciate the ranking as that helps!

There's legitimate rumors now of an ff9 remake. Thats a good 2nd place for me next to 7. 9 and 10 were so good but so different. 

14 hours ago, NickButera said:

There's legitimate rumors now of an ff9 remake. Thats a good 2nd place for me next to 7. 9 and 10 were so good but so different. 

I'd be legit pissed if they did a 9 remake and not 3/6. But that's fine bc it's a game I've never played and it'll be on a new gen console so I'll purchase it right away lol. Maybe I'll refrain from 9 then and no, I won't be jumping any ropes lol. Read about that one.