Gameplan Voting Commenting

1st offense 1000 Warning Warning
2nd offense 5000 1000 Warning
3rd offense 10000 + vote 2000 Warning
4th offense 10000 + vote 4000 500
5th offense 10000 + vote 8000 +500
6th offense 10000 + vote 10000 + vote +500
7th offense 10000 + vote 10000 + vote +500

Not big on slapping penalties down.  At some point the person will just walk away.  Maybe good maybe not, all depends on how difficult it is to get new members.

I did notice that we never tagged any of the non playoff teams, granted they knew but its a long season where you have the playoffs taking place a week before christmas.  

I think you'd get more interest if you shortened the season, with it wrapping up about this time.  I like what you guys have going here but damn it takes up a lot of time.

13 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Not big on slapping penalties down.  At some point the person will just walk away.  Maybe good maybe not, all depends on how difficult it is to get new members.

I did notice that we never tagged any of the non playoff teams, granted they knew but its a long season where you have the playoffs taking place a week before christmas.  

I think you'd get more interest if you shortened the season, with it wrapping up about this time.  I like what you guys have going here but damn it takes up a lot of time.

I've already offered an extension of the voting period for 3 full days, this will be voted on in the offseason.

Thing is, when you're part of something like this, everything works around people voting. Commenting is a plus. If people stop voting, BDL dies that's simple. So when you are in the most decisive games, it's a bit discouraging to have people go AWOL, especially when some are voting/commenting elsewhere. I know everyone is busy at this time of year, but it's how NFL works too. Between Thanksgiving, Christmas and NYE, taking 3 weeks off would lead to a very short season. This can be voted on in the offseason as well, I won't be for it personally.

Also the gameplan penalties were originally made to prevent tanking. We had instances (the former Orlando owner mainly), where the owner just didn't put a gameplan in to get higher draft capital. Voting penalties were originally "if you don't vote, you autolose your game" which was also use for tanking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I've already offered an extension of the voting period for 3 full days, this will be voted on in the offseason.

Thing is, when you're part of something like this, everything works around people voting. Commenting is a plus. If people stop voting, BDL dies that's simple. So when you are in the most decisive games, it's a bit discouraging to have people go AWOL, especially when some are voting/commenting elsewhere. I know everyone is busy at this time of year, but it's how NFL works too. Between Thanksgiving, Christmas and NYE, taking 3 weeks off would lead to a very short season. This can be voted on in the offseason as well, I won't be for it personally.

Also the gameplan penalties were originally made to prevent tanking. We had instances (the former Orlando owner mainly), where the owner just didn't put a gameplan in to get higher draft capital. Voting penalties were originally "if you don't vote, you autolose your game" which was also use for tanking.

I'm just giving my opinion...but from someone new to BDL it takes a ton of time.  Mix in the additional time needed for the offseason, you definitely gotta be a diehard to be willing to invest that much time into something.  

Again, I love what you guys have created but truthfully it's draining.  I don't invest this much time into fantasy football and I'm gambling.  Just saying that a shorter season would boost your retention and bring more members in.  Just my opinion though.

6 hours ago, Whicker said:

I spend two and a half hours voting. I probably spent 4 hours writing my plan. But yet almost half of you can't show up to vote in playoff games?

I spent some time writing up my gameplan given that I was facing the same opponent twice in a row (and trying to pull off the upset the second time), even set an alarm to wake up and finish doing it. But when it's basically a crisis at work this week, when I get home I'm crashing, and relaxing, in whatever means I can. I try to put in thought and effort into my voting, and I'd expect the same for anyone voting for my games. If I can't find the time, especially during the playoffs, to do my due diligence in reading and voting, then I will not be the throwing a vote in a random direction. The only game thread I've even opened this week so far was involving my own team.

For me, it's not really an issue about being burned out, or the length of the season. Unfortunately, for me it just came down to my job this week, and needing to decompress after each day. If there's a price I have to pay for it, I'll have to pay it, but the threat of cap punishment, or really almost any level of punishment, would not have changed my approach this week. **** happens.

• Like 2

Shortening the season would involve a lot more than just stopping X weeks earlier. We have a pretty good schedule with the 6+8. We also have a good division structure. We can't go 3 divisions or 5.

I said it before but no one seemed to like the idea. The best solution to a shorter season is 4 playoff teams. The regular season games get more voters and this playoff round was basically a formality.

There's very little randomness to this league. Yeah, injuries happen, but the 4 preseason favorites are the four remaining teams. The regular season tells us exactly who the best teams are. Have a good regular season where everyone is still dialed in. 4 playoff teams.

17 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Shortening the season would involve a lot more than just stopping X weeks earlier. We have a pretty good schedule with the 6+8. We also have a good division structure. We can't go 3 divisions or 5.

I said it before but no one seemed to like the idea. The best solution to a shorter season is 4 playoff teams. The regular season games get more voters and this playoff round was basically a formality.

There's very little randomness to this league. Yeah, injuries happen, but the 4 preseason favorites are the four remaining teams. The regular season tells us exactly who the best teams are. Have a good regular season where everyone is still dialed in. 4 playoff teams.

Maybe I'm the odd man out on this, but 14 weeks and I'm drained.  Maybe it's the additional work with the workbooks and getting ready for my mock, but again I'm drained.

10 week season with 3 I believe playoff games seems like plenty.

5 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Maybe I'm the odd man out on this, but 14 weeks and I'm drained.  Maybe it's the additional work with the workbooks and getting ready for my mock, but again I'm drained.

10 week season with 3 I believe playoff games seems like plenty.

And I'm saying that this better come with a proposal that doesn't just shorten the season by X weeks. We have the 6 + 8 schedule which works perfectly with our division structure. We can't go to three divisions. We can't go to five

8 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Four. Playoff. Teams. The four playoff teams are the four preseason favorites. Does anyone deny this fact?

I don't deny this but I deny the fact we'd only let 25% of the BDL teams in the playoffs. 

Look at your own team, did you expect to make the playoffs last year? If Cam was 100% you'd have a shot at the bizzbowl.

Look at my team last year, I nearly beat Seoul twice and made the playoffs with Derek Carr at QB wouldn't have happened if it was 4 teams in the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Four. Playoff. Teams. The four playoff teams are the four preseason favorites. Does anyone deny this fact?

I also know that last year I was not even close to being considered a favorite, hell barely playoff bound and I won it all 

5 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I also know that last year I was not even close to being considered a favorite, hell barely playoff bound and I won it all 

Same with me. One team ascends. Most good teams stay good. That sounds like a healthy league to me. 

7 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Seriously if you think the little write ups and tanking get bad now, take away half the playoff teams 

But nothing would change. Tanking won't change games that are already decided. And we had teams who were mathematically eliminated who tried. And we had a playoff team stop giving effort. It's about time.  We just need people to have the time and the care. 

Edited by Whicker

Nobody missed the playoffs this year. Gotham's effort went AWOL and he knew he wasn't going for it. Every other non playoff team knew they weren't making it. Teams need to miss the playoffs for it to matter. Louisiana should have missed for their misses towards the end IMO. If life, happens. Tough. Just like me with Newton. No other team stood a chance in their game. With a healthy Newton Hawaii loses in a blowout due to three corners.