Madden 19

MacReady

18 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Actually the AI has gotten even worse since 15-16.  The new engine has defenders in the secondary stand there while offensive players run right by them.  LBers cover WAY too much ground when the ball is in the air, making throwing over the middle a roll of the dice.  Balls get tipped into the air way too often and picked off.  It’s very difficult to concentrate on game strategy when the ball and players don’t move the way you would expect them to.

Sorry, I transferred this quote from @JBURGE thread because I didnt want to derail his franchise thread any further. 

I agree, though.       As I said, EA stopped caring about the football aspect of the game long ago.     As long as they can milk gullible people via MUT, thats all they care about.  Gameplay has felt broken for years.   Even when they fix something , they break other things in the process.    They have foolishly stated that gamers dont care as much about single player gaming anymore so its not a priority to them....meanwhile, most of the bigger and better games of the last few years are primarily single player experiences.

I am getting to the point where I blame the NFL just as much as EA....but they have essentially the same business philosophies.....everything else is secondary to making money, regardless of how much they act otherwise.   Not that I blame a business for trying to increase their profits....but they should also give a damn about the quality of their product.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Sorry, I transferred this quote from @JBURGE thread because I didnt want to derail his franchise thread any further. 

I agree, though.       As I said, EA stopped caring about the football aspect of the game long ago.     As long as they can milk gullible people via MUT, thats all they care about.  Gameplay has felt broken for years.   Even when they fix something , they break other things in the process.    They have foolishly stated that gamers dont care as much about single player gaming anymore so its not a priority to them....meanwhile, most of the bigger and better games of the last few years are primarily single player experiences.

I am getting to the point where I blame the NFL just as much as EA....but they have essentially the same business philosophies.....everything else is secondary to making money, regardless of how much they act otherwise.   Not that I blame a business for trying to increase their profits....but they should also give a damn about the quality of their product.

What are your thoughts on the theory that I just came up with, that EA doesn't want to make a really good Madden game because they're scared people won't upgrade every year if they do? Every year they keep taking away and then adding later so customers buy the new one in hopes that it's a lot better?

/remove tinfoil hat

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

What are your thoughts on the theory that I just came up with, that EA doesn't want to make a really good Madden game because they're scared people won't upgrade every year if they do? Every year they keep taking away and then adding later so customers buy the new one in hopes that it's a lot better?

/remove tinfoil hat

Honestly I think its that they just don't have enough time to develop a great game.  Most great games take several years to develop.  Madden should move to a paid service model, where you pay a monthly subscription and they update the rosters every year, and then come out with massive patches to upgrade the game and make it better.  Like a World of Warcraft model.  

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

/remove tinfoil hat

To a point, I definitely agree.   

However, I think its more that they have become content in just putting out mediocrity because they know that, because of the NFL license and MUT, they have a stable audience that will buy the game no matter what.  They stopped caring about the people who want a truly great game.     

EA has a reputation of acquiring major licenses (NFL, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Mass Effect, etc...) and riding them to success based on name alone.    Madden hasnt been great in well over a decade.    Every Harry Potter game they put out was awful.     Every Star Wars game they have put out has been average at best (while cancelling potentially great single player Star Wars games).   Mass Effect has went downhill in a big way since EA bought BioWare.   

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Honestly I think its that they just don't have enough time to develop a great game.  Most great games take several years to develop.  Madden should move to a paid service model, where you pay a monthly subscription and they update the rosters every year, and then come out with massive patches to upgrade the game and make it better.  Like a World of Warcraft model.  

While I dont disagree....the thing is, they dont want more time.   They know they can put out the game yearly and make tons of money.   Plus, the NFL exclusive license requires them to release a game annually.   Even if it didnt, though, they would. 

EA cares far more about quantity than quality.     Thats why the release most of their major franchises yearly, and their games largely feel the same year after year.

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

While I dont disagree....the thing is, they dont want more time.   They know they can put out the game yearly and make tons of money.   Plus, the NFL exclusive license requires them to release a game annually.   Even if it didnt, though, they would. 

EA cares far more about quantity than quality.     Thats why the release most of their major franchises yearly, and their games largely feel the same year after year.

Ya but a paid subscription model gets them a more steady income stream, rather than the boom every august with limit sales afterwards.  They can still nickle and dime people in microtransactions in MUT too.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you able to set up all of your formation/sub packages in Madden 19 not during game time?

I have Madden 17, and the only time I can set my formation personnel is while the play clock is running. I can barely do anything, especially defensively because I only have 10 seconds or so after the offense selects their play. Timeouts don't help defensively, either. I can only set my overall depth chart while the game is paused.

This seems to be a major flaw in the game.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:21 AM, freak_of_nature said:

Are you able to set up all of your formation/sub packages in Madden 19 not during game time?

I have Madden 17, and the only time I can set my formation personnel is while the play clock is running. I can barely do anything, especially defensively because I only have 10 seconds or so after the offense selects their play. Timeouts don't help defensively, either. I can only set my overall depth chart while the game is paused.

This seems to be a major flaw in the game.

Yeah, you are able to.  

1) When you are setting up your depth chart in the menu (or while paused), you can set a nickel CB, slot WR, power RB, third down/passing RB (although I kind of hate this because it puts them in for basically every shotgun formation rather than just on third downs/obvious passing downs), and your pass rushing defensive line.  So this helps a lot because I'd imagine a lot of the adjustments you wanna make are related to those positions.

2) In franchise mode, you can adjust formation subs if you wanna expand even more.

26 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Yeah, you are able to.  

1) When you are setting up your depth chart in the menu (or while paused), you can set a nickel CB, slot WR, power RB, third down/passing RB (although I kind of hate this because it puts them in for basically every shotgun formation rather than just on third downs/obvious passing downs), and your pass rushing defensive line.  So this helps a lot because I'd imagine a lot of the adjustments you wanna make are related to those positions.

2) In franchise mode, you can adjust formation subs if you wanna expand even more.

What I'm trying to do is run a lot of different nickel base formations with varying personnel. I use mostly a few variations of the 4-2-5, and 3-3-5, with a lot of Cover 3 with another SS at the NB positions. I play primarily exhibition games with my special roster and the difficulty level at all-pro (while I get used to Madden again). I never recall this being an issue with NCAAFB. I'm not sure why Madden won't let one do mass level individual custom formation adjustments, while the game is paused, especially if one is playing vs the CPU.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got rid of Madden last year, and now that football is gearing up again, I kind of regret it...

I don't think it's great - there's a lot of 'wtf' moments and it doesn't really feel like football a lot of the time, but, it's all we have in terms of games. Should I re-buy 19, or wait for 20?

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I got rid of Madden last year, and now that football is gearing up again, I kind of regret it...

I don't think it's great - there's a lot of 'wtf' moments and it doesn't really feel like football a lot of the time, but, it's all we have in terms of games. Should I re-buy 19, or wait for 20?

19 is complete trash.  Go get 16, 17 or 18 for dirt cheap at Gamestop.   

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

19 is complete trash.  Go get 16, 17 or 18 for dirt cheap at Gamestop.   

I remember correctly then.

The issue is that I'll have to spend hours updating the rosters and creating rookies. I'm really sad for realism...

But you're right, I should have one of those games laying around somewhere.

Archived