The Hundley Debacle: Who's to Blame?

Greg C.

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Still shouldn't get the blame.  Why?  Let's put it into a scenario.

You're a cat/skunk person.  That's your job title.  You go out and have to tell the difference between cats and skunks.  Everybody knows that if a skunk is out in daylight, it's probably rabid.  If it's rabid, you have to put it down.  You see what looks like a cat.  It's black, you can't really see any white down its back.  You've got yourself a .22, and you're waiting for the picture to become clear.  Shoot, or just a cat?  It's 3 PM, so you know that's either a cat or a rabid skunk.  You have X amount of bullets for an entire year, and you know you need those bullets.  There's also a deadline.  What deadline?  There's a train coming.  There's a train coming and you have to make a snap decision.  You know that this area is full of cats, not so full of skunks.  It doesn't move into view clearly enough, so you have to make a decision based on what you know.

If it looks like a cat, if it's an area where there are more cats than skunks, and you're facing a time crunch, you don't take the shot.

If Hundley looks like a damn good backup, if he looks good in preseason, in practice, in scrimmages, you assume he's going to be a good backup and you sleep well at night knowing that your decision, based on everything you had at your disposal at the time, was a good decision and that you should not shoulder the blame for a crap performance by that QB in all of his home games and a couple of his road games while he looked exactly like you thought he would work on the majority of his road games. 

What's this about cats and skunks? I thought we were talking about football.

I blame Barr, Goodell, the stupid refs, ARod’s collarbone, and the idiot who installed the turf in that disgusting glass monstrosity.  I also blame demensia, Trump, Hundley’s Mother, and all Vikings fans for praying non-stop for 10 years that ARod would get hurt and/or die.  FFS.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Nope.  There's really nobody to blame.  Let's review:

Hundley thrives in preseason.  Had highest preseason QB rating of ANY QB in the league.
Injured for second preseason.
Continues playing well in third preseason.

He obviously played well in practice. 

So you have that QB heading into the season.  There's a difference between preseason, practice and real games.  The only way to see what a player has in real games is to... Watch them... Watch them play in real games. 

Replacing him midseason?

Played poorly in relief duty against the best defense in the league.
Played poorly in his first start against the Saints.  First start, road game, great pass defense. 
Showed a significant improvement in his third game.
Completed 72% of his passes, 8.5 yards per attempt against an average Bears defense.

At which point were we supposed to bring somebody else in? 

The Brett Hundley "debacle" was not a debacle.  The only blame to be attributed here is on Hundley.  He was not capable of reproducing his practice and preseason results in real time games. 

I agree with you but I would add that Hundley got thrown out there with a defense that totally sucked. Rodgers can take the team on his shoulders and make up for a crappy defense few other QBs can do that.

35 minutes ago, Bignutz said:

I agree with you but I would add that Hundley got thrown out there with a defense that totally sucked. Rodgers can take the team on his shoulders and make up for a crappy defense few other QBs can do that.

Finally, someone gets it...

1 hour ago, Bignutz said:

While this is true, can’t put too much blame on the defense - Hundley kept giving the ball back to the opponents’ offense.  Our weak defense was on the field all the damn time, thanks in part to Hundley.  Hell, even if we had a stronger defense that got off the field faster, they’d barely get a water break before having to back out.  Can’t just put this on the defense.

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

While this is true, can’t put too much blame on the defense - Hundley kept giving the ball back to the opponents’ offense.  Our weak defense was on the field all the damn time, thanks in part to Hundley.  Hell, even if we had a stronger defense that got off the field faster, they’d barely get a water break before having to back out.  Can’t just put this on the defense.

Not true. 8 of Hundley's 12 interceptions came while already trailing and nearly twice as many of his passing attempts came while tied or trailing.

As I already said - we should be glad Hundley stunk.  Having a losing season last year will end up being a blessing in disguise.  I seriously doubt if we made the playoffs again McCarthy doesn't make the changes on his coaching staff and Ted doesn't step aside.  Perhaps now the defense will finally be fixed and we can infuse the roster with better talent with a higher draft slot than we've had in a number of years.

If I could rewrite the original post, I would remove the word "blame" from the title. I didn't mean to irritate people by using that word. I was just saying that something went wrong, and I was looking for some opinions on how it went wrong. (And I got plenty!)

I'm surprised that some people think Hundley looked okay in the preseason. I thought he looked pretty bad, especially considering how good he had looked in his rookie preseason. I think it was already becoming apparent that when he really had to run the offense, as opposed to just playing sandlot, he was not up to the task. And that's how it played out in the regular season. It should have been an ideal backup QB situation, with a player in his third year who had gained the trust of the head coach, but it ended up being subpar. I can't fault Thompson for not putting more resources into the backup QB position because there were so many other needs, but I do fault McCarthy for sticking with Hundley seemingly to the exclusion of all others. Another option McCarthy had was to do more read-option stuff with Hundley right from the beginning, to limit his decision-making and use his legs to gain yards and open up passing lanes, rather than trying to turn him into a pocket passer, which was clearly a struggle for him. 

6 hours ago, Greg C. said:

If I could rewrite the original post, I would remove the word "blame" from the title. I didn't mean to irritate people by using that word. I was just saying that something went wrong, and I was looking for some opinions on how it went wrong. (And I got plenty!)

I'm surprised that some people think Hundley looked okay in the preseason. I thought he looked pretty bad, especially considering how good he had looked in his rookie preseason. I think it was already becoming apparent that when he really had to run the offense, as opposed to just playing sandlot, he was not up to the task. And that's how it played out in the regular season. It should have been an ideal backup QB situation, with a player in his third year who had gained the trust of the head coach, but it ended up being subpar. I can't fault Thompson for not putting more resources into the backup QB position because there were so many other needs, but I do fault McCarthy for sticking with Hundley seemingly to the exclusion of all others. Another option McCarthy had was to do more read-option stuff with Hundley right from the beginning, to limit his decision-making and use his legs to gain yards and open up passing lanes, rather than trying to turn him into a pocket passer, which was clearly a struggle for him. 

Hundley never looked as poor in the preseason games like he looked once he had to be our starter.  You might be right, perhaps Mike should have had him do more read-option stuff.  But by week 6 when Aaron got hurt there weren't a lot of other options out there.

Archived