Duke Johnson: How To Get Him More Rushes?

the lone star

1 hour ago, the lone star said:

Regardless, how would you utilize Duke to make sure he gets at least 100 rushes during the year?

Typically, under Hue Jackson, when a runner like Duke is doing well, Hue takes him out or uses him as a decoy. Then, when asked in the postgame presser about the lack of touches, he snickers at the reporter, talks down to him or her, and says something about the NFL gameplanning being more complex then that. So, to answer your question, getting rid of our offensive wizard is a start. 

Beyond that, I look for the Browns to get a RB1 via the draft and Duke to remain a solid situational, versatile back. 

41 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Typically, under Hue Jackson, when a runner like Duke is doing well, Hue takes him out or uses him as a decoy. Then, when asked in the postgame presser about the lack of touches, he snickers at the reporter, talks down to him or her, and says something about the NFL gameplanning being more complex then that. So, to answer your question, getting rid of our offensive wizard is a start. 

Beyond that, I look for the Browns to get a RB1 via the draft and Duke to remain a solid situational, versatile back. 

This pretty much sums it up.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Duke??

He’s played in 48/48 games.

He often gets up from plays and walks off the field gingerly, like he has been banged up, and misses some snaps.

I think that is the basis for the perception that he is not durable.

29 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah but he always has these knick knack injuries all throughout the game, how can we seriously expect him to carry a more significant role?

He had less than 160 TOUCHES last season, less than 10/game. Only 1 game did he have 10 carries. In 5 games he had 5 or less carries (one with zero, 2 with two).

160 touches, and 7 (!!!) TD’s.  

I’m not saying he’s the next Tomlinson who’s gonna handle 350-400 touches a year, but he should be able to handle another 50%.  225 touches, roughly 15 per game isn’t a lot or unreasonable and he’s been so productive you have to feed him.

I do think improving the WR group will help so he doesn’t have to be a full time slot which should keep him fresher and allow for more carries.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He had less than 160 TOUCHES last season, less than 10/game. Only 1 game did he have 10 carries. In 5 games he had 5 or less carries (one with zero, 2 with two).

160 touches, and 7 (!!!) TD’s.  

I’m not saying he’s the next Tomlinson who’s gonna handle 350-400 touches a year, but he should be able to handle another 50%.  225 touches, roughly 15 per game isn’t a lot or unreasonable and he’s been so productive you have to feed him.

I do think improving the WR group will help so he doesn’t have to be a full time slot which should keep him fresher and allow for more carries.

I think he is going to have to take more of the load anyway if Crow is gone

Archived