Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Judging from the way he played our CB's and Jabril Peppers at S last year, I don't think he knows either.

It sounds like Gregg Williams likes to have 2 great press man CBs that free up all of his exotic looks with LBs and Safetys. We didnt have anything close to 2 good CBs last year that you could tell to go play man coverage without safety help over the top. Which makes this all the more weirder that we somehow havent landed a #1 CB since free agency started. I think they were all in on Trumain Johnson and when they failed, they are now in scramble mode.

9 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Kindred for Agholor ? Hoping to get a CB maybe Roby 

Derrick Kindred provides a very interesting dilemma for our team that seems to go completely unaddressed by the media or among our fans.  It is assumed that Jabrill moving up to box safety is the best thing for us, and it is definitely the best thing for him, but Kindred was one of our best defenders last season (in my opinion, but I feel like objectively as well).  I thought he made better angles and was a much better tackler than Peppers was.  Peppers is a young player that should get better but there is no reason to think he shouldn't earn that spot when we have a good young player already there.  I'm not sure who is the better cover guy because it seemed like nobody at safety was great in coverage.

Overall I just find it interesting that Peppers is moving up but there's never any mention that the guy he's supposed to be replacing played very well.

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It sounds like Gregg Williams likes to have 2 great press man CBs that free up all of his exotic looks with LBs and Safetys.

I get that, but having a safety 30 yards off the ball AND having CB's 7 yards off of WR's in Zone tech is just WEIRD/pointless. Throw in the part about us going 0-16 and him refusing to adjust, all while getting exploited on the same slants, hitches, and intermediate flag routes, and it's insanity.

We didnt have anything close to 2 good CBs last year that you could tell to go play man coverage without safety help over the top.

I'm not arguing that at all, but McCourty was above average/capable. Let him do his thing and then shade your other safety over the top/towards that part of the field for help over the top. It's not that complicated.

Which makes this all the more weirder that we somehow havent landed a #1 CB since free agency started. I think they were all in on Trumain Johnson and when they failed, they are now in scramble mode.

Yeah, I don't think we had any options outside of him/Fuller, and now I wouldn't be surprised to see us gear up to draft one or two relatively high.

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I get that, but having a safety 30 yards off the ball AND having CB's 7 yards off of WR's in Zone tech is just WEIRD/pointless. Throw in the part about us going 0-16 and him refusing to adjust, all while getting exploited on the same slants, hitches, and intermediate flag routes, and it's insanity.

I'm not arguing that at all, but McCourty was above average/capable. Let him do his thing and then shade your other safety over the top/towards that part of the field for help over the top. It's not that complicated.

Yeah, I don't think we had any options outside of him/Fuller, and now I wouldn't be surprised to see us gear up to draft one or two relatively high.

Scandrick just signed with the Redskins too...now the only 2 CBs on the market that are starter quality are Breeland/Gaines. I dont expect anything to get done with either considering how long they have been available with Browns showing no interest even in a visit.

I like Denzel Ward but his size scares me with being able to play fulltime outside on #1s. Plus there is the whole thing about him not being physical enough which leads to poor tackling at times. If the Browns went Ward at #4 it would be the ultimate 'meh alright' feeling.

19 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It sounds like Gregg Williams likes to have 2 great press man CBs that free up all of his exotic looks with LBs and Safetys. We didnt have anything close to 2 good CBs last year that you could tell to go play man coverage without safety help over the top. Which makes this all the more weirder that we somehow havent landed a #1 CB since free agency started. I think they were all in on Trumain Johnson and when they failed, they are now in scramble mode.

I mean even more than have 2 good CBs, I think that we only had 3 NFL capable CBs on our entire roster.  I heard Greg really likes soft zone coverage in all his defenses, but what we ran last year defied common sense.  Maybe it was just a stamina thing between McCourty, Taylor, and BBC as the only guys you could trust to put on the field.  We definitely need to pick up a high grade young guy in the draft, which is unfortunate because it seems like Barkley will fall to us at #4.

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I mean even more than have 2 good CBs, I think that we only had 3 NFL capable CBs on our entire roster.  I heard Greg really likes soft zone coverage in all his defenses, but what we ran last year defied common sense.  Maybe it was just a stamina thing between McCourty, Taylor, and BBC as the only guys you could trust to put on the field.  We definitely need to pick up a high grade young guy in the draft, which is unfortunate because it seems like Barkley will fall to us at #4.

i dont think they are sold on Barkley either way. Given Williams loves CBs and we missed out on the top tier guys in FA combined with Dorseys track record of taking mid-round RBs I think you have either a perfect storm of Chubb/Ward at #4.

9 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

This is why I like the trade with Buffalo so much.  If we could somehow pull it off and net 12, 22, and at least a 2019 1st, we could nab that high end CB at 12 or 22.  maybe even take another in the second.  Though we don't have to fix everything in one year, if they like Saquan or Chubb, we should take them and see what comes to us next year.

43 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

This is why I like the trade with Buffalo so much.  If we could somehow pull it off and net 12, 22, and at least a 2019 1st, we could nab that high end CB at 12 or 22.  maybe even take another in the second.  Though we don't have to fix everything in one year, if they like Saquan or Chubb, we should take them and see what comes to us next year.

Trading down like that  shows the browns want quantity over quality. Browns really need to improve the quality of players on this team not just adding more rookies. Browns need to stay in the top7 so they can get one of the blue chip players. If a player falls to the teens the have plenty of ammo to trade up and get them. I rather draft two players in the top 10 and then trade up for another player in the top 20

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Trading down like that  shows the browns want quantity over quality. Browns really need to improve the quality of players on this team not just adding more rookies. Browns need to stay in the top7 so they can get one of the blue chip players. If a player falls to the teens the have plenty of ammo to trade up and get them. I rather draft two players in the top 10 and then trade up for another player in the top 20

I'm sorry I can't get behind the quantity over quality argument.  If this deal with buffalo is possible, we could turn 1 high first round draft pick (when we already HAVE the #1) into 3 first round draft picks, 1 of which is 12 which is still VERY high.  Its not like were talking about trading down and picking up a bunch of second round players,, but we are talking about 2 of the best 22 players in this draft, and the flexibility of having another first rounder next year, which could again be high because buffalo stripped talented players to get the pick.  Considering we have the #1 overall pick, its also not like were not getting who is at the top of our board anyway!  It's not like we would be trading that, and still getting 12, 22 and next years first, we have turned our extra 1 first rounder into 3.  Again not 3 3rd rounders, or just rotational players, but 3 additional first round picks.  I can understand if we want to sit at 4 and take Bradley Chubb, but I've heard people talk about taking Denzel Ward, who I have seen people rank between the 8th and 15th best prospect anyway, in a deep CB draft, I just don't see his value at 4, and considering CB is our biggest need the trade down makes perfect sense.  Also trading down is how we even have pick #4 in the first place.  I don't agree with trading down and picking up late round picks but I would trade down and pick up more first rounders any day of the week.

Yeah the Buffalo trade is a must I would say unless you love Barkley he’d be worth it 

but we’re not drafting him

so trade down get that first next year along with 22 

and you could potentially trade back up you’d have the ammo and get Ward or other player you have rated highly. Chubb would probably be gone but I really like Davenport too. 

I believe when teams wants to trade up into the top 10 for QBs you almost always need to do it of you already have yours because the return on investment is ridiculous and un achievable in any other situation 

23 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Yeah the Buffalo trade is a must I would say unless you love Barkley he’d be worth it 

but we’re not drafting him

so trade down get that first next year along with 22 

and you could potentially trade back up you’d have the ammo and get Ward or other player you have rated highly. Chubb would probably be gone but I really like Davenport too. 

I believe when teams wants to trade up into the top 10 for QBs you almost always need to do it of you already have yours because the return on investment is ridiculous and un achievable in any other situation 

The only must they have is to take a QB number one that’s it. Ward won’t be there at 12. To me he is the player they need most outside of QB

Face it guys, the Bills will likely have to give up 3 firsts plus a bit more, to move up to #2 in the draft trading with the Giants to get the #2 QB in the draft. They are not going to pay 3 firsts to get the #4 pick and likely the #4 QB in the draft. According to the trade chart, we will get the #12 pick plus their 2nd and 3rd rounder and nothing more, so quite dreaming about 3 first rounders, it just isn't happening! At best they might throw in a 2019 4th rounder!

So, if Dorsey does not like that trade back and I suspect he might not, then maybe a trade with Denver, holding Buffalo over their heads, gets us a 2nd rounder to move back one spot and still get the guy we want??? This is a far more likely scenario as it keeps us in the top 5 picks and adds a high 2nd rounder!!! That will be about as good as it gets, so let's stay out of the fantasy world!

Archived