Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Josh Allen’s best case scenario is a more athletic Matthew Stafford, who is an MVP candidate every year.

His worst case is Kyle Boller.

I’d call this pretty accurate, tho I’m a lot higher on Allen than most. I still think he has a good chance of being a good qb. Theres more to it than a high 50% completion percentage. 

22 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah you hit it with project. There is nothing wrong with drafting a project. Heck, in a weak QB class there isn't anything wrong with drafting a project QB in the 2nd round. This isn't one of those classes and you certainly don't draft a project at #1 overall.

Ironic isn’t it? To dump a slow processing, big armed and big framed, inaccurate project of a passer...

And then draft a slow processing, big armed and big framed, inaccurate project of a passer.

Given that it would be #1 overall and in a class with other genuinely viable top-flight QB prospects, for me it would go down as the worst draft decision since the return. Ahead of noodle arm Quinn, ahead of old man Weeden, even ahead of the trainwreck that was Johnny Manziel.

Those were all at #22, at least you could justify it as a punt.

To draft Josh Allen at #1 when there is nothing he is the best at in the QB class other than throwing it furthest and hardest... man, there would be no words.

I’d probably give up on the Browns... at least until week one.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Ironic isn’t it? To dump a slow processing, big armed and big framed, inaccurate project of a passer...

And then draft a slow processing, big armed and big framed, inaccurate project of a passer.

Given that it would be #1 overall and in a class with other genuinely viable top-flight QB prospects, for me it would go down as the worst draft decision since the return. Ahead of noodle arm Quinn, ahead of old man Weeden, even ahead of the trainwreck that was Johnny Manziel.

Those were all at #22, at least you could justify it as a punt.

To draft Josh Allen at #1 when there is nothing he is the best at in the QB class other than throwing it furthest and hardest... man, there would be no words.

I’d probably give up on the Browns... at least until week one.

Yeah it may be the biggest bust of all time if he busts because he is widely considered a project and the 4th best QB (at best) in a strong class so there will likely be success from the other more highly touted prospects.

If we do draft him I'll hope he developes and join the bandwagon of fans that want our #1 overall QB (in a strong QB prospect year) to sit a year or two while being groomed. If we start him year one and he is Kizer that would be hard to take two years in a row.

One thing that is very interesting to me in a potential trade back with the Bills is the opportunity to move back up. 

For instance, trading back to #12 probably gets us #12, #22, 2nd round + 2nd round next year for what is likely Rosen at 4. 

Then we could easily package #12 + a second and move up to 7 or so. So basically we could get #22 and a second rounder to move down 3-4 spots. We could still get Barkley or Fitzpatrick or Chubb or Ward. 

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Mayfield left very little that he could have done better in college as far as his play. Some people say it was because of weak defenses or surrounding talent so him doing his part means little to nothing. Many feel playing poorly with excuses is better than playing great with support. Doubt anyone is going to change their mind but Mayfield is certainly top 5 all time college passers no matter what you factor in. Whether he proves himself yet again in the pros remains to be seen (as with every draft selection) but my money is on him succeeding. Doesn't mean he'll be the best of the class but I predict he will be a very good NFL QB...might play a little too safe but that changes a lot going from college to the pros so we will see.

Top 5 in what?? Passing yards?? Nope. TD's?? Nope. Wins?? Nope. So what exactly is he top 5 at? Mayfield is good but to say he's too 5 all time in the NCAA is absurd imo. My top 5 all time QBs are 

5) Michael Vick Virginia Teck

4) Jim Plunkett Stanford 

3) Doug Flutie Boston College 

2) Vince Young University of Texas 

1) Tim Tebow University of Florida 

To say that Mayfield is a better college QB then Tim Tebow is criminal imo. I don't even think Mayfield would make my top 25 all time once again this is my opinion and this is very subjective. 

12 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

Top 5 in what?? Passing yards?? Nope. TD's?? Nope. Wins?? Nope. So what exactly is he top 5 at? Mayfield is good but to say he's too 5 all time in the NCAA is absurd imo. My top 5 all time QBs are 

4) Jim Plunkett Stanford 

To say that Mayfield is a better college QB then Tim Tebow is criminal imo. I don't even think Mayfield would make my top 25 all time once again this is my opinion and this is very subjective. 

I certainly wouldn't have Tebow #1 and would comfortably have Mayfield over him. 

I think Cam Newton had the best individual season I've seen. 

17 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:
3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Mayfield left very little that he could have done better in college as far as his play. Some people say it was because of weak defenses or surrounding talent so him doing his part means little to nothing. Many feel playing poorly with excuses is better than playing great with support. Doubt anyone is going to change their mind but Mayfield is certainly top 5 all time college passers no matter what you factor in. Whether he proves himself yet again in the pros remains to be seen (as with every draft selection) but my money is on him succeeding. Doesn't mean he'll be the best of the class but I predict he will be a very good NFL QB...might play a little too safe but that changes a lot going from college to the pros so we will see.

4) Jim Plunkett Stanford 

See bolded. Passers.

Cam Newton was the best college QB I've ever seen for a 1 year period of time. I can't imagine what he would have done in that Urban Meyer system if he could have stayed on the straight and narrow while he was at Florida.

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Some of the names on that list though......

Yeah only one person is listed more than once in the top 35 though, and he is listed 3 times. You can pretend being an all time great college passer means nothing, and it may not, but odds are that is going to transfer to the next level because he did it so often at the level just below it.

It is a different game so there may have been better college passers when you adjust for the era but Baker Mayfield is top 5 in our lifetime.

So Bull and Fox had Josh Rosen’s HS HC on today. Damn, it was a great interview. It made me like him even more. So now I’m really torn between Darnold and Rosen. 

The story that got me was in HS, the team was going to Hawaii for a game. It was going to cost each player $1500 to cover the cost. The private school he went too had kids from all kinds of socioeconomic backgrounds. Well Josh came up with an idea to get local businesses to be a part of a coupoun card. I know they are pretty popular in northeast Ohio. He wanted to help out his teammates who couldn’t pay out of pocket, the coaches told him they were too busy to do go to the individual businesses to get them to join in.  So Josh went around himself. Dressed up and pitched the idea and concept behind the fundraising efforts. The coach said with his idea they raised enough money to make sure every player made the trip. 

Hearing a story like that makes me really question the media narrative that he is selfish and entitled. 

Archived