The Josh Rosen Hype / Rumor Train to Buffalo

The BILLievers

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I agree on the fact they  cant sit back and allow other teams to out bid them. If the bills truly believe in one of those guys and they have the chance to  move up your going to overspend that was what I was trying to say. You cant let a team come in and knock your chances out cause your not willing to throw that extra player/pick in. What some people need to understand is that yes the asking price maybe a lot but if this is the guy for the next 10-15 years who cares what it takes that is a position that they wont have to worry about for that long of time and it is also the most important position in the game. 

If Lamar or Rudolph are their guys great get them, not a fan of them but if its your guy who you believe is there for the long term then it is what it is. However if Rosen/allen/mayfield/darnold is your top choice and you have the option of getting him then start throwing everything you have at the giants to get him. You cant settle for back up options thats what the bills have done for over 2 decades now. Bills settled for JP losman and that turned out awful compared to what they could have got in Big Ben. 

Lamar is going to run a lot and I have yet to see a run first qb make it long term in the league that is why I do not want him along with his accuracy issues reminds me to much of tyrod. 

Well Vick made it work, I just am not completely sure if Jackson has Vick's escapability, if he does, it will be tough for defenses to get a clean shot at him. That is how Vick survived and Lamar is a far more accurate passer than vick ever was and he has a very strong arm.

I do not expect a lot of called runs for him like he was used in college. He will survive as a roll out passer who takes off quite effectively on occasion, much the way Atlanta used Vick, with clear instructions to stay clear of hits by either sliding or running out of bounds.

25 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

Well Vick made it work, I just am not completely sure if Jackson has Vick's escapability, if he does, it will be tough for defenses to get a clean shot at him. That is how Vick survived and Lamar is a far more accurate passer than vick ever was and he has a very strong arm.

I do not expect a lot of called runs for him like he was used in college. He will survive as a roll out passer who takes off quite effectively on occasion, much the way Atlanta used Vick, with clear instructions to stay clear of hits by either sliding or running out of bounds.

vick was in jail and only played one full season in his career, and had only one season of completing over 60% of his passes. I want a consistent dude who can pass the ball and give the wr a chance of making a play bills havent had that in a long time. I get it the escapability is a nice feature to have but that doesnt win games consistently, an accurate pass does. Yes he was able to run but at what point is that going to get you a year in and year out playoff contender? I want a true pocket passing qb as this is a pass driven league. 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

I get it the escapability is a nice feature to have but that doesnt win games consistently, an accurate pass does.

Per Steve Palazzolo

Only 27 percent of Lamar Jackson's career rushing yards came on scrambles. 73 percent came through the designed running game. He was not just dropping back and running around Career: Passing yds 9,018 Scramble yds 1,286 Designed rush yds 3,520.

The whole narrative that he is a scrambling QB (not just from you) is really lazy. Lamar is incredibly underrated as a pocket passer. Much like Stafford in college, he has improved in that area each season.

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Per Steve Palazzolo

Only 27 percent of Lamar Jackson's career rushing yards came on scrambles. 73 percent came through the designed running game. He was not just dropping back and running around Career: Passing yds 9,018 Scramble yds 1,286 Designed rush yds 3,520.

The whole narrative that he is a scrambling QB (not just from you) is really lazy. Lamar is incredibly underrated as a pocket passer. Much like Stafford in college, he has improved in that area each season.

Only way I’m ok with Lamar is if we trade for OBJ lmao.

3 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I'd be OK with this. I wonder if both our 2's could get OBJ

If we stay put at 12 and take a QB, I'd like us to grab a long term C at 22 either James Daniels or Billy Price and let them grow together. I'm worried about aging Incognito, Groy/Bodine, Ducasse interior part of our OL. 

13 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Per Steve Palazzolo

Im not saying about scrambling or not, you just pointed out the issue I have I dont want designed run plays. QBs who scramble for some extra yards like Rodgers, Brees, and even Brady is fine but to get your qb to run 10-15 yds in hopes of getting a first down isnt my ideal qb. I want him to stay in the pocket at 90-95% of plays leaving them to scramble when need be. I do not want a set play where the qb takes off unless its a qb sneak up the gut for a yard or 2 to get the first down not someone who is inconsistent on throwing so they make up for it with their feet. When guys do design runs they get crushed at one time or another, tyrod, vick, cam, bridgewater, tannehill, etc. He may turn out to be good but watching him play at the college level was cringe worthy at times, I am in the south so I get most of the ACC and SEC games especially the big ones when he faces FSU, Clemson, Miami etc and he just looks uncomfortable at times. IMO I would hate to see the bills take him in the 1st round and count on him being the franchise guy. Ideally a pocket passing qb who can get 3750-4000 yards passing a season is what I am hoping for, I just dont see that happening with Lamar. 

10 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I hate OBJ but like his talent and that is something the bills need but with that being said that would be a Whaley move not a Beane move, they want good character, and a systematic guy meaning decent contract worthy. Not only will they have to give up picks but also pay him big time and that is something Beane seems to be against from what we have been seeing with these contract so far. 

21 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I hate OBJ but like his talent and that is something the bills need but with that being said that would be a Whaley move not a Beane move, they want good character, and a systematic guy meaning decent contract worthy. Not only will they have to give up picks but also pay him big time and that is something Beane seems to be against from what we have been seeing with these contract so far. 

We also haven’t had an opportunity to pay someone big bucks that’s actually worth it.

And I’ve said this before you can’t win in this league with a bunch of choir boys, you have to take talent when you can even if you they have some character issues, trust your veterans to keep them in check. Yea OBJ is a diva, but not the type to get in trouble with the law and get suspended. I’m fine with that. I’d pay him big bucks for sure seeing as we will have nothing invested in the qb position monetarily for the next five years. 

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Im not saying about scrambling or not, you just pointed out the issue I have I dont want designed run plays. QBs who scramble for some extra yards like Rodgers, Brees, and even Brady is fine but to get your qb to run 10-15 yds in hopes of getting a first down isnt my ideal qb. I want him to stay in the pocket at 90-95% of plays leaving them to scramble when need be. I do not want a set play where the qb takes off unless its a qb sneak up the gut for a yard or 2 to get the first down not someone who is inconsistent on throwing so they make up for it with their feet. When guys do design runs they get crushed at one time or another, tyrod, vick, cam, bridgewater, tannehill, etc. He may turn out to be good but watching him play at the college level was cringe worthy at times, I am in the south so I get most of the ACC and SEC games especially the big ones when he faces FSU, Clemson, Miami etc and he just looks uncomfortable at times. IMO I would hate to see the bills take him in the 1st round and count on him being the franchise guy. Ideally a pocket passing qb who can get 3750-4000 yards passing a season is what I am hoping for, I just dont see that happening with Lamar. 

I think the Louisville offense was around Lamar and Lamar only which is why there were so many designed runs. Any NFL OC worth his salt knows that, that kind O won't work long term. 

I just wanted to share those stats to show that Lamar is capable of staying in the pocket and last season made a conserted effort to do so. 

If we draft Jackson, we will not be using him as a runner, he will be a pocket passer who rolls out almost all the time. He is a far better passer than Vick ever dreamed of being, the only question is whether or not, he has escapability like Vick did. It did 2 things for Atlanta, they won a lot of games and they never had to spend a high pick on a LT or any Olman, because, Vick could destroy any pass rush through his remarkable escapability!!!

In 11 years between Atlanta and Philly, he was in 128 games and started 109 of them with a record of 58 wins 48 losses and 1 tie. I guess he didn't finish as the QB of record in 2 games! Not bad for a QB, who was about as inaccurate as you can be and ran the ball a lot. Because he was so shifty, tacklers could not get a hard shot at him and he made pass rusher look hopeless as he escaped their pass rush with his quickness. His receiver basically had all day to get open and if he had been more accurate like Jackson is, there is no telling how many TD's he could have thrown???

He made 4 Pro Bowls and Atlanta won 4 Division titles under his QBing!!! Again, not bad for a QB who could not hit the side of a barn door when his receiver were completely wide open.

Jackson is a far more accurate passer than Vick, but I just am not sure if he is a really fast runner or a runner who has Vick's escapability!!! 

So, I do not think you can rule out Jackson as our pick if we stay at #12, it is quite possible, we traded up past Arizona who draft #15, just so we can draft Lamar, I would not completely rule it out!

not sure where to put this but found it interesting that the Bills will be meeting with Baker Mayfield for a private work out and said to be the 4th time they have visited with him. Also Rosen has had visited with the bills 3 times and will meet with him a 4th time as well. Everyone is talking about Allen and Lamar but these 2 guys seem to be the front runners as they are the ones getting the one on one time with the Bills brass. I would be thrilled if one of these 2 guys were the bills selection come draft night both have their pros and cons but they are clearly the most ready and franchise guy I would be happy to have under center.

Yeah I just saw it reported that the Bills will have Baker Mayfield in for a 4th time. I don't think that's blowing smoke, I think Beane and McDermott LOVE the competitive nature Mayfield has, and also think he's capable of standing in the pocket and delivering a ball (something Beane values highly).

Give me Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold somehow and I'd be ecstatic. I think Mayfield and BillsMafia would be a perfect pairing lol.

2 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Yeah I just saw it reported that the Bills will have Baker Mayfield in for a 4th time. I don't think that's blowing smoke, I think Beane and McDermott LOVE the competitive nature Mayfield has, and also think he's capable of standing in the pocket and delivering a ball (something Beane values highly).

Give me Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold somehow and I'd be ecstatic. I think Mayfield and BillsMafia would be a perfect pairing lol.

I like Baker Mayfield as well. We will probably be able to get him around pick 6-10 range 

3 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I like Baker Mayfield as well. We will probably be able to get him around pick 6-10 range 

I dont see the Broncos passing on him, he seems similar to that cockiness Elway and Kelly had back in the day that Elway couldnt pass on him. Bills need to still make a move to 2 or 4 which can possibly be done. I expect it draft night for the bills to move up and get rosen or mayfield depending on where they draft based on jets pick too.

Archived