Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

We had I believe $60 million in cap space that we had to spend this offseason or it would go away due to the rollover limits

based on what I've calculated on the AAV + Taylor and Landry salaries we are just above that number right now

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d rather pay him this deal than 15 million for Trumaine personally.

Exactly especially when we were going to draft a corner high anyway. 

I’m good with Josh Jackson but I’d rather have Ward Incase we switch schemes later

Just now, Aztec Hammer said:

Aren’t we just frontloading and building a strong middle class to the roster, whilst allowing us to still have a ton of cap room again in a couple of years when we can cut these guys without repercussions?

I think we are building the bottom to middle of the roster, our draft will push some current top guys down to the middle.

I agree that Dorsey got into trouble in KC with bad deals, but most of these deals will be easy to get out of or done completely by the time we have to pay a QB real QB money. As of now, we have to spend a certain portion of the rollover or we lose it. I'm completely fine with mid tier guys. Our depth has been trash for years and those r guys that help us stay competitive through injuries. 

23 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

I agree that Dorsey got into trouble in KC with bad deals, but most of these deals will be easy to get out of or done completely by the time we have to pay a QB real QB money. As of now, we have to spend a certain portion of the rollover or we lose it. I'm completely fine with mid tier guys. Our depth has been trash for years and those r guys that help us stay competitive through injuries. 

Agreed, there’s been nothing done today that’s going to hinder us long term.  

Predominantly all these contracts end in 3 years. Depodesta isn't going to allow Dorsey to put the Browns in cap ruins after a 1-31 2 season forfeit. 

Not only that....the likes of Myles Garrett and whomever they keep after that will need paid by the time...which then as of now per spotrac the Browns only have 24 players under contract until 2020. The salary cap will be fine. Only 2 FA contracts have longer than 3 years. And by year 2 of most of them....it's an average of $1 mil in dead cap per player if they choose to cut by year 2. Right now the Browns have 5 players in dead cap that range from 1.2 mil to 4.3 mil that will add 12+ mil next year and JTs contract was around $11 mil. 

The Browns will be perfectly fine going forward. 

8 minutes ago, dawgpound1816 said:

Meaning the Browns should have around $75+ mil cap space next year even after a Pryor signing and Johnson extension and well over $100 mil the following year.

Are you actually hearing anything of substance regarding Pryor?

T.J. Carrie is another supremely athletic upside signing. He has proven he can play at a quality level in the NFL and he still has upside. I was uneasy about John Dorsey at first and still have slight concerns about him trading/cutting players just bc they weren't his, but I will say he is absolutely killing it right now. T.J. Carrie has far more upside and year than Johnson and Butler who just signed deals twice as expensive.  I don't believe this was a depth signing at all. I think he is being brought in  to be a start opposite Jason McCourty while a draft pick learns the ropes with limited reps and then next season Carrie and draft pick will start while we let the aging vet McCourty walk.

John Dorsey is doing exactly what is needed to actually win. He is not interested in winning free agency with the big names. He is earning some serious respect from me right now.

Archived