Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

I think the issue will get a little muddied. We still talk in terms of base defense - FS, SS, edge corner, slot corner. But teams play a lot of 4 and 5 wide these days. The qustions in my mind will be which dbs do we play in against those kinds of alignments. The traditional position names barely fit when you've 6 or so of them in there.

Not really news, but I didn't know where else to stick this:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/05/jerick-mckinnon-will-be-a-bust-fantasy-football/ 

It's written from a fantasy standpoint, but I think the points made are valid and sound. 

Sure, he is a better scheme fit here than he was in Minnesota, but I think the moniker 'athlete who plays football' is fitting. I mean two years in a row he was the #2 guy, the #1 guy gets hurt, he steps into that roll, then as the weeks go on his snap count decreases until eventually he's #2 again. I mean freaking latavious Murray was getting more touches than him at the end of last year if I remember correctly.

He is a good rotational player but I am not sold on him being the #1 guy. In a perfect world we won't need him to be the #1 guy, but injuries do happen. I am also not convinced Joe Williams will amount to anything either.

McKinnon will be a productive player on third down and in the screen game for sure, and I like breida a lot so it's not as if we have an empty cuboard there, but I just wonder what will happen if one of those two guys gets injured. Will the other be able to carry the ball 20 times a game? Will the lack of inside runner prompt Kyle to get pass happy? 

Kyle has shown the ability to find productive running backs, so I won't question it too much, but from where I am sitting, the running back position has me a little nervous. 

25 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Honestly, we have some weird approaches to this roster at times. Would he be another guy to play the UT role, or would we use him as an undersized NT? I don't know why in the world we would need yet another UT. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N4L said:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/05/jerick-mckinnon-will-be-a-bust-fantasy-football/ 

It's written from a fantasy standpoint, but I think the points made are valid and sound. 

Sure, he is a better scheme fit here than he was in Minnesota, but I think the moniker 'athlete who plays football' is fitting. I mean two years in a row he was the #2 guy, the #1 guy gets hurt, he steps into that roll, then as the weeks go on his snap count decreases until eventually he's #2 again. I mean freaking latavious Murray was getting more touches than him at the end of last year if I remember correctly.

He is a good rotational player but I am not sold on him being the #1 guy. In a perfect world we won't need him to be the #1 guy, but injuries do happen. I am also not convinced Joe Williams will amount to anything either.

McKinnon will be a productive player on third down and in the screen game for sure, and I like breida a lot so it's not as if we have an empty cuboard there, but I just wonder what will happen if one of those two guys gets injured. Will the other be able to carry the ball 20 times a game? Will the lack of inside runner prompt Kyle to get pass happy? 

Kyle has shown the ability to find productive running backs, so I won't question it too much, but from where I am sitting, the running back position has me a little nervous. 

Shanny now has the backs he wanted, and he's paid dearly for Juice and McK and gave up two picks to get Williams. Now we can watch and see if his eye for RBs and what he wants to do with them work out as well as we all want it too. FWIW I was watching the NFL Top 100 yesterday. I have no idea how the league votes on these guys. All I know is that it is determined by a vote of the players. Hyde came in at 97. So I think players think quite a bit more of him than we all do here.

We've also still got McNichols. He looked like a bust last year but I remember hearing that he had a hard time with the playbook. If that's all it was and he does have NFL talent then with another full year to learn the playbook he should have a shot too this year.

8 hours ago, N4L said:

So I just went and read this article. Unfortunately it fits perfectly with what I've been thinking. The team now appears to have very specific physical characteristics it's looking for at most, if not all, positions. It's great when you can find a rreally talented football player who fits the mold you're looking for. But talent always trumps some arbitrary physical type you've got in mind.

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this question. If we drafted Toth and he ends up having to fulfill a 2-year military oblilgation is he still ours when his duty time is up? Do we then still have him for 4 years or would we lose 2 of those 4 to his military obligation? Not sure what the rules are for guys like this.

29 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this question. If we drafted Toth and he ends up having to fulfill a 2-year military oblilgation is he still ours when his duty time is up? Do we then still have him for 4 years or would we lose 2 of those 4 to his military obligation? Not sure what the rules are for guys like this.

We'd own his rights for 2 years and get the full 4-year deal, since he will not have accrued a season. There's a reserve list he'd be on. He wouldn't count against 53 or 90 man limits during his service.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Haven't heard this mans name for years. Welcome back I guess? 

Bringing in a Baalke draft pick? Did Lynch and Shanny get confused? 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm guessing the discussion went something like this:

LYNCH: Who else did Baalke draft? I want to know who to cut next.

SHANAHAN: I don't know. I think we might need the others left here.

LYNCH: Hmm...what about this Mike Person? He's a Baalke guy. Let's bring him in.

SHANAHAN: We don't need him.

LYNCH: I know, but when we cut Baalke guys, we look REALLY smart. I just...I need my fix man.

Something along those lines. I don't want to suggest I was present during the meeting, but I also don't want to suggest I wasn't. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Haven't heard this mans name for years. Welcome back I guess? 

Isn't he a center? I guess Shanny knows him from his days in ATL. Makes more sense as there would be a need at C if Magnuson gets look as a swing tackle. 

This is a vastly different Oline group than we've seen in the past. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Interesting. Picked in the 7th round and cut before the season started. But has managed to hang in the NFL for 6 years since then.

Out of 90 or so guys on the extended roster when  Lynch took over all but maybe 10 or 12 are gone. OK, I didn't count but it has to be soemthing like that. Even of those guys another couple or 3 or 4 will be gone by the start of the season and 3 of the others are the kicker, punter and long snapper. That's is virtually a total and complete house cleaning.

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Out of 90 or so guys on the extended roster when  Lynch took over all but maybe 10 or 12 are gone. OK, I didn't count but it has to be soemthing like that. Even of those guys another couple or 3 or 4 will be gone by the start of the season and 3 of the others are the kicker, punter and long snapper. That's is virtually a total and complete house cleaning.

This is basically what Seattle did after they hired Carroll. 

Baalke hangovers off the top of my head: Buckner, Tartt, Armstead, Celek, Staley, Garnett, Harold and Ward.